How does the drowning rats experiment make evolutionary sense

Home Forums Science & tech How does the drowning rats experiment make evolutionary sense

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

how does the drowning rats experiment make evolutionary sense

Anonymous

how does your LULZ addiction make evolutionary sense

Anonymous

it doesn’t im here for to strengthen my soul but most of you guys don’t believe in that

Anonymous

Unsurprisingly, an ethnic German.

I met my wife on /soc/

Anonymous

>I met my wife on /soc/
          and your offspring shall be school shooters

Anonymous

Genuine question anon, what is she like? I always figured /soc/ attracts a certain kind of unpleasant person. Unless maybe it was on a discord thread?

Anonymous

The brain craves dopamine.

Anonymous

Obviously, if an animal knows it can survive, it will stick around until it finds a chance.
      A lot of animals just off themselves when they find it is impossible to survive.

Even human muscles are way more capable than we can actually exert because our bodies don’t want us to kill ourselves.

Anonymous

>Obviously, if an animal knows it can survive, it will stick around until it finds a chance.
        >A lot of animals just off themselves when they find it is impossible to survive.

you gave 0 answers to the question in OP. from an evolutionary perspective rats should keep swimming for 60 hours because something might happen even in situations they don’t immediately see a way out of.

Anonymous

What is the difference between knowing and not knowing?
          Just like how a depressed enough person would off themselves instead of doing anything or changing their lifestyle, so would animals.
          Not a hard concept to grasp.

Anonymous

Why do humans drown after only a few hours? Why don’t they keep it up for 3 days? Surely they know that a rescue might come.

Anonymous

>A lot of animals just off themselves when they find it is impossible to survive.
        Do you mind sourcing that?

Anonymous
            Anonymous

The rat is light enough to survive that.

Anonymous

They don’t kill themselves but sometimes they will just give up and wait to die. Dogs will sometimes stop eating and slowly starve to death if their mate dies.

Anonymous

They are smart, and thought the human would rescue them again. We are like gods to them. Unfortunately, humanity is sorely lacking in cognition of its godly responsibility towards other life forms, and we cruelly kill and drown rats for the sake of #science.

Anonymous

seriously this sick german poopyhole could have saved them, when he saw them give up. Why did he have to let them drown for real? Why didn’t he at least save the rats that learned?

Anonymous

Onions moment
          >nuuuu meh heckin ratterionoo noo
          Post nose and ethnicity

Anonymous

oh look, a triggered german, misusing memes and misreading situations. I can smell your german autism from here buddy.

Anonymous

kek, i wouldnt be able to sit and watch rats for 60 hours even with a gram of speed

Anonymous

keep your veganism to yourself

Anonymous

>german
          Did you need any more to know why?

Anonymous

I guess germans have an axe to grind with any rodent

Anonymous

Do you think he sat there and watched for 2 and a half days? He recorded it.

Anonymous

All animals used in experiments are killed an dissected at the end.

Anonymous

thats not even remotely true, only if the experiment requires it.

Anonymous

Killing animals in science experiments is normal. Anyone who has a problem with it should stay away from medicine and the biological sciences.

Anonymous

>Killing animals in science experiments is normal
                It also used to be normal to own slaves, burn witches at the stake and kill each other in the name of God. Just because it’s acceptable doesn’t mean it’s morally right.

Anonymous

killing in the name of god is still done today scrotebrain

Anonymous

Yeah and the people doing so are used in examples like these to point out scrotebrained bronze-age subhuman scum.

Anonymous

At some point animal testing is necessary because the alternative would be going straight to human testing. SOMETHING has to suffer in order to test medication, at our current technological level. There’s just no way around it.

Anonymous

>At some point
                    Whatever that line is, "finding out how long it takes mice to drown" doesn’t cross it as a worthy hypothesis.
                    >SOMETHING has to suffer
                    Humans serving jail time for murder can give consent, mice cannot.

Anonymous

I agree on both counts, but if we develop a brand new chemical, I’d personally rather test it on a mouse first to make sure it doesn’t cause Krokodil symptoms. Plus, some things like prosthetics that require implants to function should first be tested on simpler organisms for practical reasons. Drowning mice in OP’s fashion doesn’t pass any of my personal requirements for humaneness nor usefulness.

Pic somewhat related.

Anonymous

you could just save the rats, once they give up. Nothing is forcing you to kill them for real. Some experiments may require death, but this one obviously doesn’t.

Anonymous

Killing animals can be done humamely or by 81 hour drowning sessions.

Anonymous

Rodents are disgusting, have plagued humanity for thousands of years, and they are lucky we don’t breed them solely to suffer for 100% of their conscious life.

Anonymous

back to /b/ with you brainlet

Anonymous

>this creature is ugly so let’s torture it
            The logic of every middle school bully

Anonymous

>t. ugly incel
              lol go shoot up a school chud

Anonymous

Reddit moment

Anonymous

Zen how could vi know how long zi ratz could svim?

Anonymous

I’ve noticed this trend in modern times, every animal experiment in the history of mankind that resulted in animal harm, when we mention it, it is mandatory that we will take the time to point out how emotionally anguishing we find the entire concept.

>is the advance of science worth the suffering of rats
          Yep

Anonymous

Omits the part where domesticated rats even without being pulled out would survive freaking days anyway

Anonymous

It probably has to do with learned helplessness. If you tie a rat down, it will get stressed as hell and might even get PTSD, which is natural because being tied down in nature is a death sentence. But if you give it a rope to chew on, even if it’s not even part of the constraints, the rat will be much less stressed. The ability to "fight back" is an important tool for psychological health, and in the case of water the rats learnt that their struggles weren’t in vain. Water treading is also itself a measure of learned helplessness, so with the case of the ropes, the rats who were given something to chew on would immediately fight much longer than the rats who were constrained helplessly.

Anonymous

>evolution = intelligent design
      that being said
      >if you think you can survive you try to survive
      >if you think you can’t survive you give up

Anonymous

A few minutes of rest.

Anonymous

>expectation -> dopamine -> increased motivation
      An extreme manifestation of the consequences of a normal mechanism.

Anonymous

God

Anonymous

The power of positive thinking.

Believing you can survive has a huge impact on surviving. Hopelessness leads to an early defeat.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Maybe some things are outside of strict evolutionary reasoning. Evolution gave us the brain capacity to do logic, but logic can be run on many different architectures to yield the same results.

Anonymous

What is the evolutionary reason for suicide?
          Sometimes people and animals will just choose to not suffer instead of suffering, because they are not machines, they think, feel, despair and lose hope

Anonymous

Let’s think of depression as a reason.
          What is the evolutionary purpose of depression? Why can’t we be happy? Why do people end up killing themselves because they are depressed?

The theory I am aware of is that happiness makes us less productive. Think of a tribesman who hunts and over his first kill, gets so happy he doesn’t need to hunt again to feel happy anymore. While on the other hand, you have a tribesman who gets less happy and even depressed if he does not hunt for the day. Obviously, the second tribesman will get ladies and his tribe’s respect.

This is why depression was selected for. Now imagine someone who is too dumb to get anything right, but also gets depressed. Eventually, if he doesn’t find a way out, he would probably either cope and NEET, or kill himself.

Obviously, not anything selected for works in all environments, so when you put people in modern higher education, brain required society, it will result in tons of depressed people who can’t seem to find a place to work or just find it too hard to learn, so their path of least resistance to survive would be basically depending on gibs.

Either way, I am getting off-topic here. The environment similar to the Richter experiment, where there seems to be no hope, is gonna lead to more depressed brains that would easily give up. Especially for rats where their life doesn’t matter much to propagate their genes since they literally birth up to 15 or 16 babies in a single litter.

With humans, they take way more time to off themselves, which is why psychology is a big field even when it has tons of problems.

Anonymous

its almost like living things are not machines. We have intricate nerve systems and brains having only one purpuse: trying to trick the soul into living in this body.

Anonymous

>Having a clear understanding of your surroundings and your situation is a positive trait in most situations because it allows you to analyze a situation and its different approaches
          >In this extreme example neither swimming nor giving up has a clear advantage, and the ones that understand their situation decide to give up.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/OBT5YI6.gif

>evolution is the end all be all
          kek

Anonymous

You’re ascribing consciousness, an ability to imaginatively extrapolate into future events, and emotions to rats. I think it’s a bit far.

Anonymous

Rats are highly intelligent

Anonymous

Animals can sometimes simply give up on living, anon, when there isn’t really much sense for them to go on. Widowers (loss of monogamic partner). Elephant graveyards (old age). Pets losing their owners (no more master to serve). You won’t find this in plants, however. Plants have an unshakable will to live, for some reason, and will "give up" and die only if they’re seasonal.

Anonymous

I think it makes sense if you assume there is a utility function inside the rat which assigns a given utility to any given action in a probabilistic sense. In the first case, if the rats believed 100% that they were going to die, then the utility associated with continuing to struggle is lower than just dying, because they are only extending their suffering. In the second case, the rats believe there is a chance they might be saved, so the utility associated with continuing to live multiplied by the rats perceived possibility of life is higher than the utility associated with giving up and dying. I think the answer to your question is as simple as, the rats in the first experiment were simply 100% convinced they would die, and if you are 100% certain, there is no point in struggle. In the second cases, they were less certain and had hope, so there was a point in struggle.

Anonymous

I think you’re on the right track. But the question becomes what it is about this system where the function of [avoiding suffering] is allowed to outweigh the function of [avoiding death] that propagates the genes better. Perhaps it could have something to do with social behavior.

Anonymous

Human cohabitation makes people believe they will be saved.

Anonymous

fake facebook shit

Anonymous

Has someone repeated this experiment with rats who already had offspring and virgin rats?
      The virgin rats should fight harder as they had no chance to pass down their genes yet, right?

Anonymous

nah, the virgins will be full of frustration and won’t be able to take on much additional frustration and quit pretty quickly.

Anonymous

Imagine being the guy sitting there with a stopwatch watching those poor little fuckers drown.
      Monsters.

Anonymous

Anon, I think (You)’d like this book. Most of the posters here, actually.

Anonymous

I’m not up for that time commitment, but I’m halfway through the movie now and it’s really good.

Anonymous

I finished it and it bonked me up. Extremely sad and dark. They should have kept the “gnomish hunter takes pity on them because the brain surgery scars reminded them of Dachau” from the book though.

Anonymous

Yeah, I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. Too much.

Anonymous

>low quality fiction novel
              >mandatory holohoax reference
              Lmao

Anonymous

But this was in the 70s when comparing animal experimentation to the Holocaust would actually have been edgy.

Anonymous

Actually lowkey woke af since it likens garden gnomes to lab animals

Anonymous

This makes me realize I’m too weak for science. Damn that just makes me feel awful.

Anonymous

Gentlemen, how do we convive waggies that they will never make it and rentoids that they will never own and thrd worlder they will never be rich? To fight global climate change you know.

Anonymous

NOOO THE POOR RATS STOP IT

Anonymous

LULZ – Facebook Moms

Anonymous

Hope/Cope is a powerful drug

that’s why when someone tells you to Cope
      they are actually being positive and telling you to push further

Anonymous

not everything is an adaptation

Anonymous

>thing happens so it invariably must be happening BECAUSE…
      Midwit detected

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id