How do you DeGoogle Android?

Home Forums Science & tech How do you DeGoogle Android?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Redpill me on Android DeGoogling

Why?
      How?
      Worth it or not?
      First time dabbling into it

Anonymous

If it may fuck up my c/vmg/ames, it’s not worth the risk.

Anonymous

get an iphone

Anonymous

Bought a Pixel and installed LineageOS and it honestly just works. Just be sure if you buy a used that the phone has an unlocked boot loader. It was my first time installing a 3rd party ROM and it was straightforward. F-Droid is great and allows you add 3rd party repos if you want and provides all the apps I need but check to make sure you can get the apps you need. Supposedly you could sideload? G apps if you need them but I haven’t tried that so I can’t comment on it much.

Anonymous

If you need any apps from the play-store you can just use the aurora play-store and get them without relying on any google services.

Anonymous

You don’t really need a store if you don’t care about updates. apkmirror.com seems pretty good to me.

bruce3434

>why not add more steps
            Yeah no

Anonymous

Lost its charm back in 2011, post 5S both the phone and iOS started looking like tryharded shit

[…]
        Third party repos sounds comfy af

There is Aurora store, which let’s you get apps off of the play store without google. They basically use a random generated gmail address to deliver apps to you.
        I have it on my samsung phone and it works. I’m also furious about degoogling a pixel phone, though I will probably use the smaller gapps package possible.
        Does anyone on lineage have issues with android auto? That and maps are really the only things google does better than anyone else.

Anonymous

Lets*
          Curious*
          Smallest*
          Funny enough, open board was the first thing I got from the aurora store… Guess it’s still learning off me

Anonymous

If you have a Pixel, you should give GrapheneOS a spin. Much more polished than Lineage.

bruce3434

You dont need a used phone for this idk why youd say so

Anonymous

>F-Droid
        This is why I’ll never get a Fapple phone. Even with Android being as bloated and gimped as it is compared to KitKat days, I can always download/sideload a no-bullshit .apk anywhere at anytime that runs off cream-of-the-crop freetardation and doesn’t make you drink a verification can and sing a jingle to continue.

Anonymous

I’ve been using LineageOS w/ MicroG. (prepackaged ROM) on my POCO F1 for around a month now. Literally any proprietary app that I’ve tried from the Play Store works – even Google Maps.
      I’ve installed my banking apps. They work as well as they would with gapps. Just hide them from Magisk and it just werks.
      The only issue is that GPS kinda sucks. It’s hard for your phone to pin down your location with the location providers by default. I use Apple’s provider (the implementation is free, just the database is proprietary) and GSM for offline use.
      I don’t really wanna use GMaps but I have to some times. OsmAnd is getting dangerously close to being a complete replacement.
      I’ve followed Mental Outlaw’s guide on how to degoogle a bit more since there’s a bit left of Google even on stock LineageOS. Sadly, Bromite webview fucks up ProtonMail for some reason so have to use the stock provider. Not a big issue.
      The biggest problem for me currently is the browser – they freaking suck on mobile. I wanna have an open source browser, preferably Chrom* woke af, that supports extensions. I’ve tried out Fennec but it kinda sucks and is slow. The best option currently is, unironically, Brave. Bromite is second but it doesn’t block ads well enough or trackers at all.
      Went on a bit of a tangent but yeah. It works and it is easy with the prepackaged ROM. Just expect GPS to be quite a bit slower to warm up.

Anonymous

Why does GPS constitute a burden?

Anonymous

Well, I’d like to be able to get my bearings in an unfamiliar environment. It’s very useful when traveling to a different country especially. Having to use GMaps basically becomes a requirement if you want to do any sort of planning at all.
          Though, it’s kinda nice knowing that even if they could ping your location, they’d need to warm it up first for like half a minute to get anything.

Anonymous

Osman maps man you can just downloads maps and directions work offline

Anonymous

Like I said, OsmAnd works really well. It’s just that public transport recommendations are kinda shit and I’d like to be able to look at the local businesses – info and location. Those parts are really not that great on OsmAnd but it in every other aspect, I’d say it’s better.

Anonymous

Right. I use yelp for that but w/e

Anonymous

Suppose it depends on the location. Yelp doesn’t do much in Eastern Europe.

Anonymous

Can’t you just use protongmail from a email app like Nine or aquamail ?

Anonymous

Nah, ProtonMail encrypts the emails so it needs a special description application. The app is open source though.
          Such an application isn’t available for mobile, only on desktop.

Anonymous

Damn that sucks for the right reasons at least. And that application works only for protonmail?

Anonymous

No, that application doesn’t exist on mobile. The only way to access ProtonMail is through a dedicated app that is their own (or through the browser, I guess). I suppose someone could look at the source code and integrate it into a mail client but nobody has done so yet.
              The default webview is fine, really.

Anonymous

I remember when LULZ was full of rom flashing threads back in the early/mid 2010s. I kinda miss those days.

Anonymous

I wish this threads were still around.
        The current ROM community is just filled with street shitters that wanna install some shitty ROM that lets them do exceedingly pointless UI customisation.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/PEAJIIl.gif

>go to XDA to find a custom ROM for my phone
          >99.99% of posts are by people from India

Anonymous

Android lost its charm after 2014…degoogling and AOSP ROMs give some of it back but it just isn’t the wave of euphoria and newfound power flashing CyanogenMod 10.1 or Paranoid Android 3.9 to your Galaxy S3 gave you. Jelly Bean is the peak of Android. After KitKat shit only got worse.

Anonymous

The peace of mind that you’re not being tracked by big corp and have complete control over your phone is 100% worth it.
      Look for a phone with official LineageOS support.
      Best degoogled phone combo right now is probably the Google Pixel (oh, the irony) with GrapheneOS.

Anonymous

If only it wasn’t limited to a select few devices. Because fck Samsung for turning into Apple and performing anti-modding practices.

Anonymous

You spend a lot of time doing it and wake up one day and realize that nobody cares and it only had a negative impact on your life.

Anonymous

I’d say that it works very well with MicroG. Install all the apps you need and it basically just werks and have a piece of mind that Google isn’t tracking you. Of course, others will try but won’t really create a good profile on you and probably aren’t important enough to get all that info together to know you better.

Anonymous

Idgaf of Google is tracking me. I’ve done nothing wrong

How many times does it have to be stated that it’s about systemic privacy not personal privacy?

Anonymous

calyx os works great with Micro G. Just keep in mind that some online banking apps might not work

Anonymous

Idgaf of Google is tracking me. I’ve done nothing wrong

Anonymous

le "I have nothing to hide meme"
        Everyone’s got skeletons in their closet.

Anonymous

>implying you need to have done something wrong

Anonymous

I have tried to root 2 phones using Linux and fuck is it the hardest shit on earth. Process always involves looking on shady forum posts, and using gdb plus some weird Android debugger.You need a freaking PHD to do this for some reason.

I think its 100x easier on Windoze though since most Pajeet tools need it. Idk, smart phones are gay Soros machines. I’m the kind of guy that is still happy with VoiP phones. I still would pick a ‘feature’ phone at the end of the day. Phones are just for calling, that’s it.

Texting is gay too. I don’t miss that shit one bit.

Anonymous

Depends on the phone.
        There are some phones that allow easy-peasy unlocking of the bootloader. Some phones require shady steps because the official developer hasn’t allowed it.
        Pixel phones are the best for this.
        Sony and Xiaomi phones get a bronze medal. Though, they do get a lot of support still.
        Anything else is a pain in the ass.

Anonymous

There is calyxOS too if you’re on pixel. Been learning a lot about it, just need to get a pixel phone to actually try it

Anonymous

Does CalyxOS have many substantial security and privacy improvements like GrapheneOS? https://grapheneos.org/features
        >inb4 but microg !!!111!!!

Anonymous

I believe it’s woke af off lineage, but made slightly more scrotebrain proof. Just off a video I saw, you flash it and it asks what you want included. You can exclude google all together. You can use fdroid and aurora store in its place to get apps you want. It doesn’t seem as private as graphene since the goal there is to be anti-google.
          Speaking of alt stores the only real shitty thing about them is losing access to apps you might’ve paid for over the years. I used to get play credit from bullpooping google surveys. Was pretty nice. Got good stuff like nova prime, SD maid pro, and drastic ds emulator for "free". Willing to let that stuff go though.

Anonymous

Yes because you can relock the bootloader which you cannot do on Lineage. It’s why it’s only available on a Pixel.

Anonymous

Just don’t use Google apps and block all Google ips with a global firewall app

Anonymous

>degoogling
      sis just disable the Google and Google assistant crap, and all those Googleshit apps it comes with. Then install f-droid and Bromite. There, reasonably degoogled in half an hour.
      you can obviously go further.

Anonymous

>what works? everything
      >what doesn’t work? you tell me
      every time

Anonymous

>Think about installing a custom rom now that my phone has been abandoned for 2 years
        >Check XDA

Ah yes I knew there was a reason I stopped bothering with that shithole.

Anonymous

>Why?
      one less spying on your device, makes processes lighter due to lack of google services
      >How?
      read the pajeet forums on xda if your device has lineage or not, official or unofficial, and if it is bug-free or not. plus points if it’s official and it has lineage for microg support
      >Worth it or not?
      worth it if you want to depend less on google and its services. you can use microg if you really want to use google services but without the additional tracking

you can do it on your stock rom/firmware and degoogle and debloat through adb/custom recovery, but you have to jump through hoops like patching device framework if you want to use microg, and stability is questionable especially on OSes like oneui

Anonymous

Why ?

Too many corporations misusing your data and putting you at risk.

How ?

Aosp gsi image work on Android 8+ phones + f-droid + foxy droid + magisk (root) + twrp + unlock the bootloader + aurora store + few fdroid apps (often out of their repositories)

Not ungoogled :

if needed microg or opengapps just certifiy the device and empty the googgle play cache after

GrapheneOS focus on security, Calyx on privacy while maintaining features so it has microg but basicly you could add most features of them on your own android setup, /e/ aka eelo woke af on LineageOS is a third choice for privacy not named, it has an android 10 woke af gsi image available.

Note : mobilism forum might work to pirate apps/games

Anonymous

Been running degoogled protonaosp on my pixel 5 with graphenes sandboxed google play services… it’s pretty aite

Anonymous

Bought a pixel 3axl to replace my iphone xr. Installed graphene and haven’t looked back. Used f droid for most of what i need, bur if i must use a google play store app i can just use apk mirror. And micro g services aren’t installed either which can suck but it’s nice too.

Anonymous

Pros:
      >Take measures to prevent organisations from collecting information about you and using it to further spread their application into our lives.
      >Mitigate the number of stakeholders who can access your data. Larger entities, including Google, are known to share certain data with other entities such as Uber, major shopping platforms/outlets, etc.
      >Prevent the risk of a data breach/leak/access issue so you can own, store and manage your own data all on your own volition.
      >Save phone battery, reduce network traffic and enhance performance as you have fewer Google services running in the background.
      >Opportunity to discover alternative platforms for day-to-day tasks; you’ll find that you don’t need as many Google services as much as you may have previously relied on, if any at all.
      >It’s easy to outright uninstall/disable a vast majority of Google services with your phone connected to the computer via USB and running the adb shell in a terminal.

Cons:
      >You’ll require habitual sacrifices as you would no longer be able to do things such as Google Pay or connect to other peripherals if you have any. In reality you can keep these services and uninstall any others you don’t use, but going full ungoogle would mean losing some of this functionality entirely.
      >Depending on your phone and OS, uninstalling or disabling certain background services could break certain functionality or cause serious bugs requiring a factory reset. Do a little research on the packages you’re looking to uninstall before actually going through with it.
      >May void warranty if you install a new ROM or unlock the bootloader. Not an issue anymore since every phone has brand tools to unfuck your device, as shit as XDA is you’ll find some recovery tool for insurance.

I’ve stuck with retaining the Play Services needed to keep Google Pay running in another work profile so look into those if you’re not fully prepared to 100% ungoogle. You’ll feel so much better working

Anonymous

Pixel + grapheneos

Anonymous

get a pixel and install grapheneos
      /thread

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.