How can we have free will if God already knows what every human decision will be?

Home Forums General & off-topic How can we have free will if God already knows what every human decision will be?

• This topic has 118 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How can we have free will if God already knows what every human decision will be?

Anonymous

Selective foreknowledge means that God could choose not to foreknow indiscriminately all the future acts of his creatures. This would mean that, rather than all history from creation onward being a mere rerun of what had already been foreseen and foreordained, God could with all sincerity set before the first human pair the prospect of everlasting life in an earth free from wickedness. His instructions to his first human son and daughter to act as his perfect and sinless agents in filling the earth with their offspring and making it a paradise, as well as exercising control over the animal creation, could thus be expressed as the grant of a truly loving privilege and as his genuine desire toward them—not merely as the giving of a commission that, on their part, was foredoomed to failure. God’s arranging for a test by means of “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad” and his creation of “the tree of life” in the garden of Eden also would not be meaningless or cynical acts, made so by his foreknowing that the human pair would sin and never be able to eat of “the tree of life.”—Ge 1:28; 2:7-9, 15-17; 3:22-24.

To offer something very desirable to another person on conditions known beforehand to be unreachable is recognized as both hypocritical and cruel. The prospect of everlasting life is presented in God’s Word as a goal for all persons, one possible to attain. After urging his listeners to ‘keep on asking and seeking’ good things from God, Jesus pointed out that a father does not give a stone or a serpent to his child that asks for bread or a fish. Showing his Father’s view of disappointing the legitimate hopes of a person, Jesus then said: “Therefore, if you, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more so will your Father who is in the heavens give good things to those asking him?”—Mt 7:7-11.

Anonymous

Thus, the invitations and opportunities to receive benefits and everlasting blessings set before all men by God are bona fide. (Mt 21:22; Jas 1:5, 6) He can in all sincerity urge men to ‘turn back from transgression and keep living,’ as he did with the people of Israel. (Eze 18:23, 30-32; compare Jer 29:11, 12.) Logically, he could not do this if he foreknew that they were individually destined to die in wickedness. (Compare Ac 17:30, 31; 1Ti 2:3, 4.) As Jehovah told Israel: “Nor said I to the seed of Jacob, ‘Seek me simply for nothing, you people.’ I am Jehovah, speaking what is righteous, telling what is upright. . . . Turn to me and be saved, all you at the ends of the earth.”—Isa 45:19-22.

In a similar vein, the apostle Peter writes: “Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise [of the coming day of reckoning], as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.” (2Pe 3:9) If God already foreknew and foreordained millenniums in advance precisely which individuals would receive eternal salvation and which individuals would receive eternal destruction, it may well be asked how meaningful such ‘patience’ of God could be and how genuine his desire could be that ‘all attain to repentance.’ The inspired apostle John wrote that “God is love,” and the apostle Paul states that love “hopes all things.” (1Jo 4:8; 1Co 13:4, 7) It is in harmony with this outstanding, divine quality that God should exercise a genuinely open, kindly attitude toward all persons, he being desirous of their gaining salvation, until they prove themselves unworthy, beyond hope. (Compare 2Pe 3:9; Heb 6:4-12.) Thus, the apostle Paul speaks of “the kindly quality of God [that] is trying to lead you to repentance.”—Ro 2:4-6.

JW scrote just copy pasta from his stupid website.

Anonymous

and that’s a problem because ?

Anonymous

it’s a problem because it’s mental gymnastics and cope

Anonymous

why ?

Dirk

Because it’s rude to paste a novel on a discussion board, where you’re actually meant to talk to others in your own words

Anonymous

OP asked a question, I answered OP

I don’t see the problem

If he has further questions I will be glad to answer them

Dirk

I have a question, how do you cope with the fact that Charles Taze Russell was a known liar and huckster?

Anonymous

In 1904 Mr. K. B. Stoner noticed an unusual plant growing in his garden in Fincastle, Virginia. It turned out to be wheat of an uncommon kind. The plant had 142 stalks and each bore a head of fully matured wheat. In 1906 he named it “Miracle Wheat.” Eventually others obtained and grew it, enjoying extraordinary yields. In fact, Miracle Wheat won prizes at several fairs. C. T. Russell was very interested in anything related to the Biblical predictions that “the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose” and “the earth shall yield her increase.” (Isa. 35:1; Ezek. 34:27, AV) On November 23, 1907, H. A. Miller, Assistant Agriculturalist of the United States Government, filed in the Department of Agriculture a report commending this wheat grown by Mr. Stoner. Throughout the country the public press took note of the report. C. T. Russell’s attention was drawn to it, and so in Zion’s Watch Tower of March 15, 1908, on page 86, he published some press comments and extracts from the government report. Then, in conclusion, he commented: “If this account be but one-half true it testifies afresh to God’s ability to provide things needful for the ‘times of restitution of all things which God hath spoken by the mouth of all the holy prophets since the world began.’—Acts 3:19-21.”

Anonymous

Mr. Stoner was not a Bible Student or an associate of C. T. Russell, and neither were various other persons who experimented with Miracle Wheat. In 1911, however, Watch Tower readers J. A. Bohnet of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Samuel J. Fleming of Wabash, Indiana, presented to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society the aggregate of about thirty bushels of this wheat, proposing that it be sold for one dollar per pound and that all the proceeds be received by the Society as a donation from them, to be used in its religious work. The wheat was received and sent out by the Society and the gross receipts from it amounted to about $1,800. Russell himself did not get a penny of this money. He merely published a statement in The Watch Tower to the effect that the wheat had been contributed and could be obtained for a dollar a pound. The Society itself made no claim for the wheat on its own knowledge and the money received went as a donation into Christian missionary work. When others criticized this sale, all who had contributed were informed that if they were dissatisfied their money would be returned. In fact, the identical money received for the wheat was held for a year for that purpose. But not one person asked for a refund. The conduct of sis Russell and the Society in connection with Miracle Wheat was completely open and aboveboard.

Because Charles Taze Russell taught the truth from God’s Word, he was hated and maligned, often by the religious clergy. But then, Christians of modern times expect such treatment, for Jesus and his apostles were dealt with similarly by religious opposers.—Luke 7:34.

Dirk

Russell claimed to derive his teachings from the Greek while he knew no Greek, as proven in court

Anonymous

Is there a more concise explanation? I’m having trouble wrapping my head around everything. Is it about how God could know but chooses not to so that we can do whatever we want?

Anonymous

God has the capacity to be omniscient. He can CHOSE not to use this capacity. Why ? Again, because he gave us free will and so he is bound to respect this gift.
                  But there are still numerous instances of him using his omniscience.

Anonymous

>I answered OP
                No, you didn’t. By virtue of copying and pasting, you made some other person answer in your place.

Anonymous

Thus, the invitations and opportunities to receive benefits and everlasting blessings set before all men by God are bona fide. (Mt 21:22; Jas 1:5, 6) He can in all sincerity urge men to ‘turn back from transgression and keep living,’ as he did with the people of Israel. (Eze 18:23, 30-32; compare Jer 29:11, 12.) Logically, he could not do this if he foreknew that they were individually destined to die in wickedness. (Compare Ac 17:30, 31; 1Ti 2:3, 4.) As Jehovah told Israel: “Nor said I to the seed of Jacob, ‘Seek me simply for nothing, you people.’ I am Jehovah, speaking what is righteous, telling what is upright. . . . Turn to me and be saved, all you at the ends of the earth.”—Isa 45:19-22.

In a similar vein, the apostle Peter writes: “Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise [of the coming day of reckoning], as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.” (2Pe 3:9) If God already foreknew and foreordained millenniums in advance precisely which individuals would receive eternal salvation and which individuals would receive eternal destruction, it may well be asked how meaningful such ‘patience’ of God could be and how genuine his desire could be that ‘all attain to repentance.’ The inspired apostle John wrote that “God is love,” and the apostle Paul states that love “hopes all things.” (1Jo 4:8; 1Co 13:4, 7) It is in harmony with this outstanding, divine quality that God should exercise a genuinely open, kindly attitude toward all persons, he being desirous of their gaining salvation, until they prove themselves unworthy, beyond hope. (Compare 2Pe 3:9; Heb 6:4-12.) Thus, the apostle Paul speaks of “the kindly quality of God [that] is trying to lead you to repentance.”—Ro 2:4-6.

Finally if, by God’s foreknowledge, the opportunity to receive the benefits of Christ Jesus’ ransom sacrifice were already irrevocably sealed off from some, perhaps for millions of individuals, even before their birth, so that such ones could never prove worthy, it could not truly be said that the ransom was made available to all men. (2Co 5:14, 15; 1Ti 2:5, 6; Heb 2:9) The impartiality of God is clearly no mere figure of speech. “In every nation the man that fears [God] and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (Ac 10:34, 35; De 10:17; Ro 2:11) The option is actually and genuinely open to all men “to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.” (Ac 17:26, 27) There is no empty hope or hollow promise set forth, therefore, in the divine exhortation at the end of the book of Revelation inviting: “Let anyone hearing say: ‘Come!’ And let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.”—Re 22:17.

God doesn’t exist.

Does free will exist? Don’t know, but who cares. You still have to make decisions in your life, that’s the important thing.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Finally if, by God’s foreknowledge, the opportunity to receive the benefits of Christ Jesus’ ransom sacrifice were already irrevocably sealed off from some, perhaps for millions of individuals, even before their birth, so that such ones could never prove worthy, it could not truly be said that the ransom was made available to all men. (2Co 5:14, 15; 1Ti 2:5, 6; Heb 2:9) The impartiality of God is clearly no mere figure of speech. “In every nation the man that fears [God] and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (Ac 10:34, 35; De 10:17; Ro 2:11) The option is actually and genuinely open to all men “to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.” (Ac 17:26, 27) There is no empty hope or hollow promise set forth, therefore, in the divine exhortation at the end of the book of Revelation inviting: “Let anyone hearing say: ‘Come!’ And let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.”—Re 22:17.

Dirk

Divine foreknowledge does not necessitate meticulous divine determinism. If I were to freely choose X instead of Y, God would have omnisciently foreknown my free act

Anonymous

It’s still free will even if God knows what you’re going to do.
      It’s like playing fetch with your dog. You throw the ball and know with certainty that the dog will retrieve it. Does that mean your dog does not have free will? No.

Anonymous

So what’s the point of.. religion if he already knows you will/won’t follow it?

Anonymous

It’s for your salvation, it’s not a "test"

Anonymous

But God already knows who’s going to hell or not. It’s all decided.
            From his perspective we don’t have free will.

Anonymous

If you don’t feel forced to converse w me then it’s probably because you aren’t being forced. You have agency

Anonymous

I want to make passionate love to Lara all day long

Anonymous

Does God knowing your decision still influence your own decision? No. Then you still have free will.

Anonymous

Yes it does, because you can’t possibly do anything other than exactly what god knows you’re going to do
        Your future is already written, you just don’t know it

Anonymous

Does it influence your own decision? No. Then It’s still free will.

Anonymous

Are your parents related?

Anonymous

[…]

your soul is outside of time, hence your free will is as well.

Anonymous

God gave us free will knowing full well we would use it to sin. There is no contradiction here.

Anonymous

How can you be a scrote on your own if I already know you will gargle semen?

Anonymous

Because he’s an omnipotent being

Anonymous

Does god have foreknowledge of all the children the JWs molest?

Anonymous

not a witness but all institutions that confer power over children or old people attract people who wallow in sadism. the more feeble they are, the more they enjoy inflicting their neuroses on those who can’t fight back.
        this applies to schools, paramilitaries, political parties, religious institutions, bla bla.
        the question isn’t one of any specific religion, it’s why so many regress so far when in authority

Anonymous

>it’s why so many regress so far when in authority
          I believe it’s the opposite, and that sick fucks seek positions of power where they have intimate opportunities and are seen as figureheads over people they would make their victims. being a priest doesn’t make you a pedo, pedos seek out priestly and other positions so they can do their thing

Anonymous

Free will is not a coherent concept.
      An action is either random or determined.

When you make a choice, did you do it for a reason? Or pick at random?
      It doesn’t matter which, neither is free will.

Present a 3rd alternative, or give up the position

Anonymous

They didnt think that far ahead. Stop asking questions.

Anonymous

True

Anonymous

if i time traveler sees someones death in the future did he make it happen?

Anonymous

>if
        >a time traveler

Anonymous

Is this time traveler omnipotent and supposedly responsible for all creation?

Anonymous

assuming he created the entire world before the fact, but already knew all facts
        yes

what’s with the scrotebrained analogies? you don’t need an analogy to describe the situation we are talking about, it’s precise
        unless you want to argue for some heretical take on scripture

Anonymous

God forgets what every human decision will be during the light, but remembers it in the dark.

Anonymous

Because we chose to make those decisions

Anonymous

When you make a choice, did you do it for reasons?
        If so, it’s determined.

Anonymous

Not how it works sorry

Anonymous

A bold claim!

Walk me through how the alternative is even coherent.
            Don’t just assert it.

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

It’s embarrassing to you can’t form rudimentary arguments, for something that should be integral to your worldview.

Anonymous

It’s embarrassing how you can’t write proper english

Anonymous

Keep doding lmao

Anonymous

God is only aware of what we will do woke af on his knowledge of us, we still fundamentally make the decision. As an analogy, we don’t say that a market is unfree because an analyst can predict how it is going to behave with perfect accuracy.

Anonymous

>As an analogy, we don’t say that a market is unfree because an analyst can predict how it is going to behave with perfect accuracy.
        You are right. We don’t use that word about a thing that does not exist, we may have, though. Why would you appeal to an non-existent intuition on how to describe non-existent things?

Also. Did the analyst build the market and everyone using it? Always with these shitty analogies that don’t even carry the main points.

Anonymous

[…]

>it’s evidence because… IT JUST IS OK?

Anonymous
      Anonymous

How can we have free will if physics is deterministic?

Fuck this thread, bunch of hippies, the lot of ya.

Anonymous

How can we have free will if people already know what the weather is gonna be?

Anonymous

god doesn’t exist
      all religions are man made

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

[…]

No, that’s you zoomers playing through Alice and getting killed by white chess pieces instead of red because you played too many zoomer games. You will never be a true woman.

Anonymous

I have no idea what you’re talking about but two things are clear:

1) You’re seething at what I’ve said
        2) You can’t make a counterargument

I accept your admission of defeat.

Anonymous

Nope. The opposite is true.

Anonymous

Lmao no it isn’t.

I accept your admission of defeat.

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_RcmlFEzo&t=1270s
              It’s so funny to you that why it is happening to you.

Anonymous

I don’t know what you’re posting. I’m not watching that. That has no relevance to anything.

Anonymous

It actually does, but Neither does your assumptions, presumptions, opinions, and bullshittery about God. You will know pain and suffering, you will know weakness, you will know of having nothing. And no God will save you. Will He?

Anonymous

God doesn’t exist.

Anonymous

>christkek gets upset at somebody
                    >threatens them with some part of the christkek dogma
                    lel, zero self awareness

Anonymous

I never understood where the contradiction lies. Knowing is different from exercising control. If you were someone I know well, like a close friend or something, I could probably predict your reaction to a lot of things. That wouldn’t mean I can control your mind, would it?

Anonymous

You have different choices, God doesn’t force you to take anyone of them. That’s free will.
      God already knowing what you will choose is irrelevant here.
      You could feasibly make your choices using a random number generator and assigning each number to a different option. Even if after you generating the random number you effectively know the result, that doesn’t mean that it was only possible for that result to be generated and no other.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id