How are so many people i’m interviewing with CS degrees so freaking awful at this shit?

Home Forums Science & tech How are so many people i’m interviewing with CS degrees so freaking awful at this shit?

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

how are so many people i’m interviewing with CS degrees so freaking awful at this shit?

they’re failing on stuff that should only be as hard as like, first-year homework material

these scrotes got through systems, OS, discrete math, algos, and electives on top of that with like a 3.2-3.6 GPA and they can’t answer these questions?

were they ALL copying off one dude every class or something?

Anonymous

If they didn’t cheat, they were cheated by their know-nothing professors and their decades-obsolete CS programs that teach visual basic or java instead of fundamentals.
      I tried a C++ course in uni once, it was several weeks in and we still hadn’t gotten to functions or for loops, just if statements.
      Oh, and if you moved faster than the rest of the class, you got marked down for using forbidden features.

Anonymous

>teacher wants to see if you can sort an array
        >takes points off because you just used std::sort()
        >>whaaaaatttt???!!! are you marking me down because I’m using fOrBiDdEn fEaTuReS??!! Because im moving too fassttt??!!!!!

Anonymous

Oh we never even learned to do that the first semester.
          I didn’t even know how to return from a function so I was calling main() within a function and the TA didn’t even mark me down for that.

Anonymous

if someone interviewing you asks you to sort an array they will want the same answer your teacher taught you

Anonymous

I remember starting primary school, I was all gung ho and had spent the whole summer learning all the letters. When school started I was like "LOL BITCHES I KNOW THIS SHIT" and then the teacher told me I had to sit and learn A, B and C like all the other kids. I knew in that moment school was bullshit. In retrospect I do understand the teacher’s situation somewhat, what was he supposed to do, let one kid sit and play gameboy in class or something? But I never had respect for school after that.

Took me many decades to get an autodidactic process for structured learning going proper.

Anonymous

My teachers let me read books in class.

Anonymous

My parents were pretty picky about making sure we didn’t end up with teachers like that. They got really mad when my sister’s teacher mentioned what a problem it was that she knew so much of the material already and how it would only get worse if they didn’t slow her down. Next semester we moved schools to one that let us take whatever level classes we matched.

Anonymous

??
          If the question is to sort an array, std::sort() is one of the best answers.
          If teacher want’s something else he can ask for it.
          For example "Write sorting algorithm".
          But that would require them to think.

Anonymous

I’m at community college and we just covered functions at week 7, it sucks.

Anonymous

Also at community college we haven’t even gotten to functions yet and just started loops last week

Anonymous

i don’t see an issue with that. honest question, what would a "correct order" look like?

Anonymous

the order isn’t the issue it’s just that unless you’re literally scrotebrained you can learn basic python or whatever in like half an hour

Anonymous

SIR here. we have to spend 1 year(compulsory) doing physics, chemistry, calculus with one single cs subject. the second year is the classic introduction to algorithms, but youll spend more time trying to pass calculus and law/constitution/psychology/finance/language subjects. im in year 3 of the 4 year course, spec in infosec, and theres scrotebrains who are looking for "app to do hacking" about to look for WE in a year.

as someone planning on switching degrees to cs, could you tell me some questions you usually make or important things to remember?
        i don’t want someone to be so mad at me that they shitpost on 4chins

datastructures-algorithms->object-oriented paradigm/programming with its corporate relevance(testing classes etc)->(corporate-relevant)git, containerization, deployment, webservers, backend i would say. and dont forget, you must be able to shit out leetcode on command, in 30 minutes, while smiling and waving to the interviewer. grim

Anonymous

as someone planning on switching degrees to cs, could you tell me some questions you usually make or important things to remember?
      i don’t want someone to be so mad at me that they shitpost on 4chins

Anonymous

>how are so many people i’m interviewing with CS degrees so freaking awful at this shit?
      Idk anon I think it’s just everyone is stupid and school is ez. I got a buddy with a business degree that is constantly asking me ridiculously easy questions that are like middle/high school math. This week it was basic unit conversions freaking baffling.
      I’m a college dropout so nothing to brag about but actually read books and learn about things im interested in. Normies are content being scrotebrained it seems like

Anonymous

post the questions scrotebrain

Anonymous

Given a set of points and edges, find the smallest vertex cover.

Anonymous

nani?

Anonymous

A vertex cover is a subset of vertices which has a connection to every edge on the graph;
            i.e. take the set of edges, and transform it into the corresponding vertices. This is a vertex cover, but a large one.

Motivation: You would like to secure a building filled with hallways, but want to minimize the number of guards. Naturally, you only need a guard on one side of the hallway.

Anonymous

Now give a direct reduction proof for its complexity class from SAT then an algorithm which is at least 2-approximation, runs at least better than any ILP implementation and the proof for it. Should be no big deal, I’ll give you 15 minutes.

Anonymous

inspired by Shelah, i give you
                >direct reduction proof for its complexity class from SAT
                proof: check (analogous to 2.8 in [76])
                >an algorithm which is at least 2-approximation, runs at least better than any ILP implementation
                trivial
                proof: think

Anonymous

>proof: think
                  hired

Anonymous

>proof: think

Anonymous

ugly and trivial integral

posterchild problem for introductory linear programming, usually taught by the end of your discrete meme course

I have a cs degree and I don’t remember any math off the top of my head
            I’m pretty sure a vertex cover is where you pick a set of edges that touch all the vertices, but I don’t remember the algorithm to do so minimally

embarrassing

Anonymous

ur so fuckin smort anon

Anonymous

What form is the input? Never heard this one before but it sounds easy enough?

Anonymous

I have a cs degree and I don’t remember any math off the top of my head
          I’m pretty sure a vertex cover is where you pick a set of edges that touch all the vertices, but I don’t remember the algorithm to do so minimally

Anonymous

>NP-hard question in an interview
          That’s stupid senpai

Anonymous

the only winning answer is not to play

Anonymous

If you explain the problem in plain English I don’t see a problem but if you are going to make me bust out my discrete math textbook just to understand what you’re asking I’m walking out. There’s a difference between testing problem solving and memorization of math jargon no one uses in a professional setting.

Anonymous

But how else will shit-eating college graduates flex their degree and status for having wasted 100k in government loans to learn higher math?

Anonymous

jokes on you mine was only 30k

Anonymous

>jokes on you mine was only 30k

[…]
                jokes on both of you im getting payed like 6k for mine

>jokes on both of you im getting payed like 6k for mine

Imagine paying at all for a worthless so-called credential and publicly admitting that.

Anonymous

second anon was getting paid not paying lol

Anonymous

jokes on you mine was only 30k

jokes on both of you im getting payed like 6k for mine

Anonymous

woke af and full ride pulled
                me too
                all on government gibs

Anonymous

>wasted on higher math
              But CS is literally about making higher math useful lmfao. So many LULZtards are seething that either their program was horrible or that their program wasn’t squarely focused on codemonkeying

Anonymous

there’s a fine line between grad level problems and schizo babble

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

The fuck are you on about? If you’re a CS undergrad, you should INSTANTLY know the words graph, vertex cover, vertex, etc. These are used all the time in algo….
            You’re honestly the reason why everyone laughs at CS undergrads

Anonymous

wtf never heard as senior 10+ years….

Anonymous
              Anonymous

I graduated 6 months ago and can barely remember. My course was this

>Fundamentals of programming
              >Networks and Communication fundamentals
              >Professional Communication
              >Discrete Math
              >Digital power
              >Object-Oriented Programming
              >Advanced Statistics w/ R
              >Assembly and Computer Organization
              >Web Technologies and Fundamentals
              >Data, Structure and Algorithms
              >Mobile Application development
              >Cyber Security
              >Information Systems
              >Math of Software Engineering
              >Advanced Web Technologies
              >Wireless Technology
              >Large project
              >Robotic Engineering
              >Operating Systems
              >System CMD programming
              >IT Law
              >Database Management & SQL
              >Network Security
              >Network System Programming

I struggled to remember half of the names of these, I helped majority of students through these units. Ask me general stuff I can tell you, but teach you the entire course and you can go fuck yourself. I barely remember jack shit I have a catalog in my head that allows me to find answers and informatiom necessary to solve these problems. Not the exact worked out solutiom itself.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Yeah I would not work for a company that asks this

Anonymous

>NP-hard question in an interview
            That’s stupid senpai

Congrats, you failed the interview. The point of the question is not to come up with a working solution with optimum runtime, but to demonstrate your ability understand an abstract concept that the interviewer is presenting to you, think about it logically, and work collaboratively with them to try to develop something that approaches a solution. If I were interviewing and asked this question, I’d accept any answer other than "I don’t know" or "it’s not solvable/it’s NP hard so it’s not fair to ask." If they understood the question and the desired solution and white boarded an example, then started writing a depth-first oriented solution to start looking for endpoints, then they’ve passed the question with flying colors and I’d have them move on. But if they’re just going to throw their hands up and say "I can’t" when faced with a challenge and don’t at least try to talk it out, why would I want them on my team?

Anonymous

It’s pointless asking questions which require approximation algorithms without asking for any proofs. You’re a brainlet.

Anonymous

a comment so dumb that even dubs don’t make it right – I just explained how a question like this is a valuable took to better understand how a candidate thinks and how they work as part of a team and to see their communication skills.in a controlled environment.

Anonymous

the
                  >so why do you want this job?
                  of technical interviews
                  captcha: HPV4X (which is appropriate because this thread gave me AIDS)

Anonymous

No, it’s not about their reasoning, if it was you’d ask a specific real world problem and ask them how they’d approach and solve it from the ground up. However in this case any solution without proof is useless, the whole purpose of algorithm design is to be able to get bounds on performance. However, in NP-complete problems having bounds on the solution is of utmost importance since without them your solution will most likely produce a useless solution. You’re just a brainlet who couldn’t pass one round at IOI or any real algorithm course yet feels superior because he gets to use these shitty undergrad questions on people who make software and ususally don’t have a need to remember this past their courses. But go ahead take again the wikipedia example and present it as something that happens every day at your java sweatshop.

Anonymous

I didn’t say I couldn’t (although I think the solution I have in mind is very suboptimal) or that I would give up, just that I wouldn’t want to work for that company.

Filtered by reading comprehension.

Anonymous

Why would I put up with these mind games when I can get shit tons of interviews lined up where they won’t play these types of games?

Anonymous

>Congrats, you failed the interview
              you make it sound like that’s a bad thing

Anonymous

>your ability understand an abstract concept that the interviewer is presenting to you, think about it logically, and work collaboratively with them to try to develop something that approaches a solution

LOL at this fool. Jargon and lingo designed to serve no other purpose than to gatekeep are not accomplishing any of those things. These pseudo-intellectual quizzes are just another way the irrelevant and stupid among us attempt to justify themselves.

Any employer asking this should be ditched. Don’t waste your time, or demand they pay you for your time.

Anonymous

Woke af expectation haver. Everyone saying "ew, why would i work for you" are missing the point because they’re low skill code monkeys larping as engineers.

Anonymous

>not asking them to prove NP=coNP
              NGMI

Anonymous

>throw their hands up and say "I can’t" when faced with a challenge
              but unlike you they do it for free

Anonymous

literally shit-testing potential employees lmfao. this isn’t a romantic relationship where you’re the female party, you scrotebrain.

Anonymous

isn’t this a very standard interview process? look at the absolute state of those replies.

Anonymous

Lmao this. Imagine not giving a naive solution and calling it a day.

Anonymous

>solve the problem exactly
          We don’t know if the naive solution to this problem is asymptotically the best one, but if you want it, it’s simple:
          Let 2^V be all nonempty subsets of V. For every X in 2^V, for every y in V X, check that there exists an x in X for which xy is in E. The smallest X that satisfies this property is exactly the vertex cover.
          >t-that’s a stupid solution and too slow scrotebrain
          Relax the problem to the fractional variant to find a very good approximation of the vertex cover
          >no I want exact!!!
          If you can guarantee the size of the vertex cover is small, call it k, I can do it pretty fast via FPT with 2^k * n^O(1).
          If you can guarantee that the graph is planar, I can use Demaine’s algorithm to draw a graph into a combinatorial surface of bounded genus, and do a clever dynamic programming algorithm to get the vertex cover in 2^sqrt(k) * n^O(1), which is insanely fast for such an intractable problem.

Anonymous

monna, why are you talking to yourself

Anonymous

Wat

Anonymous

So.. You expect your interviewees to know djikstraz by heart?

Anonymous

I mean, isn’t that just DFS with a min-heap?

Anonymous

It’s not depth-first.

Anonymous

Doesn’t matter. Its intuition isn’t hard. I’d probably give hints if I asked the problem since it isn’t fair to assume the interviewee knows it by name, but I don’t think the technique itself is impossible wrap your head around in 45 minutes.

Anonymous

>the intuition isn’t hard
                  this
                  most scrotebrains here are seething because they’ve failed to build up the intuition to solve these problems that shouldn’t be super hard after an undergrad’s worth of paying attention. They want big bucks for a codemonkey interview for a codemonkey job, not an engineer’s job.

Anonymous

>pip install vertexcover
          done

Anonymous

Lemme guess, if you pass this interview you get to primarily fix css bugs in wordpress

Anonymous

is this just finding the dominating set?

Anonymous

It reduces to the same problem yes.
            In general it’s NP hard

Anonymous

CS degrees are not IOI prep-camps. Stop doing scrotebrained leetcode questions. This is ending up in the dumbest arms race of any industry in history. On the one hand scrotebrained seniors (they probably can’t do most of the questions on the spot either) who pick more and more outlandish leetcode problems and on the other an army of third world poos grinding leetcode armed with cracking the coding interview.

Anonymous

>Stop doing scrotebrained leetcode questions
        People who can learn leetcode can learn whatever they need to do on the job.

People who can’t learn leetcode might still be able to learn whatever they need to do on the job, but no need to take the risk.

If you complain about needing to solve leetcode (and frankly the vast majority of companies are only asking easy/medium questions that anyone who passed data structures without cheating or cheesing should be able to figure out just fine) you’re either lazy or low IQ.

Anonymous

>Learn leetcode
          >High IQ
          Yeah, I’m thinking you’re a poo who spend a considerable amount of time with the h1b1 interview book. CS is not leetcode.

Anonymous

>good at leetcode implies good engineer
          Curry scented Dunning-Kruger.

Anonymous

only problem I have with leetcode is how useless the code is 75% of the time. yeah you’ll find some nice ways to make things more efficient but unless you never have to refactor/add more/pass it off to someone else to maintain you are better off sticking with the less efficient, more straightforward approach.
          this is why there is buggy unintelligible code in everything.
          IMO code interviews should be about readability as much as efficiency, but we won’t get that when 90% of the senior developers are cringe wizards that get off on unnecessarily esoteric code cough*haskell*cough cough
          sure it’s elegant, but it only makes sense if you spend decades studying programming, and don’t you think we should start actually hiring people?
          freaking nerds ruined computer infrastructure. it’s just like the ancient greeks trying to obfuscate algebra to keep the knowledge in "secret societies", except now the freaking sewage system runs on hieroglyphics and hackerman keeps shutting it off for keks

Anonymous

>cracking the coding interview
        This and leetcode have done so much damage to the interview process
        You have jeet’s that’d get filtered by calculus if they couldn’t cheat just memorizing solutions and acting smug when you can’t cook up an obscure algorithm at the drop of a hat for a contrived problem

Anonymous

It’s even worse, you have more than one solution, the person giving the coding tests doesn’t even know how to program, the solution won’t match their example solution prepared by the nerd department.

Anonymous

calculus would filter me too

Anonymous

That’s sad if you’re serious
            I’m pretty sure anyone without a learning disability could learn at least Calc II if they wanted to

Anonymous

It’s an endless arms race with no winner. Algorithms are part of CS but being able to do scrotebrained NP-reductions or writing down tricky recursions for DP on the spot doesn’t really help in any actual real life cases, as either the problem is novel and you will not get far with basic methods taught in algorithm books or it’s already been solved and implemented better than you could do in a few months. Also these cases pop up in normal software engineering once in a blue moon.

inspired by Shelah, i give you
          >direct reduction proof for its complexity class from SAT
          proof: check (analogous to 2.8 in [76])
          >an algorithm which is at least 2-approximation, runs at least better than any ILP implementation
          trivial
          proof: think

Not good enough to work at OP’s neet company, sorry we won’t move forward with you.

Anonymous

ok kid

Anonymous

Yeah it’s baffling how basically only the top schools are producing competent workers. We hire a lot from UC Berkeley and Davis and those kids are fine, but I think something’s wrong when basically anyone below the cream of the crop is useless.

Anonymous

Too many scrotebrains pressured into CS when they have no interest in it
      Big globohomo wants programmers but doesn’t want to pay for the skills so people who would have majored in humanities or other soft shit get memed into switching
      CS programs are also soft as fuck compared to other STEM programs

Anonymous

>CS programs are also soft as fuck compared to other STEM programs
        Yeah I think this is a huge problem. A lot of CS programs require only one semester of calculus and absolutely no physics. People aren’t grinding their problem-solving skills all that much from the start. Also every single CS class I took had a discord server set up immediately in which people were constantly soft-cheating by sharing way too much about how to do the homework etc.

So in the end what you’re left with is a basic-bitch java programming degree in which they mostly cheated their way through it anyway. Yeah, no shit we’re gonna check if you’d pass data structures again.

Anonymous

>every single CS class I took had a discord server set up immediately in which people were constantly soft-cheating
          This is true for every class in current year, but even being fed answers for homework won’t save you from exams in a hard subject. The level of difficulty in CS compared to other STEM fields is just night and day

Anonymous

well idk what uni you went to but ours crammed literally all the finals in 1.5 weeks, hard exams at that, without the possibility to repeat any of them
            so I doubt most other STEM degrees were night and day in comparison

Anonymous

>The level of difficulty in CS compared to other STEM fields is just night and day
            This really depends. U Waterloo has one of the hardest and most effective CS undergrad programs I’ve seen. CS is hard and as hard as other stem subjects in a decent amount of schools, but people keep insisting to dumb it down

Anonymous

I only cheat in classes that I do not need to know for my major, otherwise what is the point

Anonymous

Why I went for EE.

Anonymous

EE’s are chad turboautists

Anonymous

Same. I’m going for ECE/CS double major. That way I get the full stack.

Anonymous

imo the best option
            Plus you get to see where you truly want to work(money aside) hardware, embedded or pure software

Anonymous

am i safe from this if i choose software engineering?
        t.about to start it

Anonymous

If anything software "engineering" would be easier

Anonymous

That’s even worse. It’s just CS with the hard (good) parts removed and some mediocre outdated web dev shit tacked on. That’s how it was at my school anyway.

Anonymous

what people consider to be "harder" programs are programs with more math and abstract thinking. software engineering is going to be softer than CS, since CS degrees usually have some amount of real math and science in them

Anonymous

Depends on where you go to school, but yes this is a problem in most programs that aren’t too 25 in undergrad.
        CS grad school is one of the toughest subjects though.
        >t. Double majored in math and CS, in a PhD program for CS now

Anonymous

>were they ALL copying off one dude every class or something?
      Grad student who has done some TA work here (I have both designed homework problems as well as graded them). A lot of students are copying their work, but it’s generally off of sites like Chegg, rather than from other students. One of the ways you can observe this is to take take a homework problem issued in a previous year, and change some of the parameters just slightly. For instance, in a class on finite automata, I might have students design a DFA over some language which has the alphabet {a, b, c}, and in the second year, I change the alphabet to {x, y, z}. The students who look up the problem on Chegg or otherwise Google it will give an answer in terms of {a, b, c}, when there is no way for them to come up with this answer had they actually read the problem.

Unfortunately, professors are reluctant to actually abide by the university academic honesty policy, which would require me to give a 0 for the entire assignment (not just the problem) if cheating was detected on any of the problems, and also to write the student up so that if they cheat in multiple classes… they get expelled.

Anonymous

Odds are, you’re demanding CS degrees for stuff that doesn’t require it at all.
      CS isn’t a hard math degree, it’s a degree in learning to program and it’s been like that since the early 90s.

Anonymous

This is the only reasonable comment in this whole thread. If OP is expecting a CS major to solve complex algo questions, you’re looking for a math major not a CS major. If you’re looking for someone to code out the algos then you want a CS major.

Right now there is this expectation that CS majors need to be masters of multiple trades, companies will hire one CS grad when they should be hiring like 2-3 different people for that position.

Anonymous

first off, a modulus is not a complex algo
          sorting cards is not complex either.
          but the reason these examples exist and are used is because they are very quick and easy to code a solution for IF you know the one or two tools to do it like % or arrays or ect.

it’s literally to filter out people who either didnt pay attention in their intro to programming class or have never actually wrote anything from scratch.

Anonymous

OP said they were asking the candidate to find the smallest vertex cover.

Anonymous

I read that as a troll post and not OPs

Anonymous

Dude, this isn’t even a lol math vs. CS question. Your interviewer wouldn’t give you an NP-hard problem unless they offered you a relaxation mid interview to do some approximation just to test your reasoning.

Again, it’s really not hard. This shit follows from basic discrete you were supposed to learn but YOLO’d through because something something impractical even though discrete math is the one (1) early math class that opens up the world to solving hard problem with computers. Now you’re on about something how CS majors aren’t up to the task because their curriculum is about coding algos rather than making them. This is not true among any decent CS schools – they train CS students to be able to read, write, and analyze algos. This involves proofs and some basic math.

But even then, interview algos require minimal math and no proof! Why are you bitching over a problem whose mundane solution is exponential in practice? They’re not out to see if you can “solve” it – they’re here to see if you can recognize that this is a fundamentally slow problem because vertex cover, dominating set, 3-SAT, and largest clique are all the same problem fundamentally that every CS student knows is canonically hard because it’s slow, not because they can’t solve it.

TLDR stop being a scrotebrain and insisting everyone else be a scrotebrain too to support your job prospects

Anonymous

Well, it’s not hard to solve. It’s just hard to solve efficiently.

Anonymous

Hard to solve colloquially means computationally difficult…which colloquially means NP-hard or simply not low poly P or BPP depending on who you ask I think

Anonymous

>OP is expecting a CS major to solve complex algo questions,
          What?
          You’re completely wrong – CS at bad schools is a codemonkey mill, but they make an effort to teach you how to devise and analyze algos. It’s literally one of the core efforts of CS.
          Holy cope Batman, imagine wanting to be a codemonkey so much that you drag every CS student through the mud and say they don’t know or haven’t been taught how to do algorithms. Nothing they bring out during an interview is inaccessible to new undergrads

Anonymous

>how are so many people i’m interviewing with CS degrees so freaking awful at this shit?
      Because it’s not worth remembering in detail outside of academia.

Anonymous

OP is probably pretty old if he still thinks CS degrees are taught as hard math focused courseloads.

CS today is just learning to program. I will say im in my senior year of software engineering and probably couldnt answer your question fully, though.

Anonymous

lel, when your comptia candidates are better than degree candidates… very common

Anonymous

>Carrier-grade NAT
        I physically winced.

Anonymous

LOL

Anonymous

Yes. Also extra credit and open book/internet tests.

t. Graduated 2 years ago

Anonymous

we need a final solution to the beta problem

Anonymous

The beta autists were usually decent. The most parasitic demographics were blacks and the overtly "nerdy" I HECCIN LOVE COODING! types with dyed hair and stickers on their laptops.

Anonymous

>I’ve renamed all the branches to main and setup the problematic language checker on our pipeline

Anonymous

>implying any of them knew what git was or how to use it
              Otherwise accurate kek

Anonymous

>he thinks a fresh college grad will know how to use a CI/CD pipeline

Anonymous

>the overtly "nerdy" I HECCIN LOVE COODING! types with dyed hair and stickers on their laptops
            these people drive me insane, they’re everywhere in web dev and incapable of any other field

Anonymous

um im one of those guys and certainly not in web dev. infosec baby

Anonymous

Damn so the "everyone is scrotebrained but me look I am a genius" insufferable coding scrotes are on LULZ too huh

Anonymous

first day here?

Anonymous

I’m 100% scrotebrained but at least I can use for loops and understand linked lists

Anonymous

What’s the practical application of a linked list, besides stack implementation? Almost all operations have linear time complexity…

Anonymous

Passing DS&A?

Anonymous

No, I’m studying networking & infosec. I participated in some programming competitions a few years ago, though.

Anonymous

Ok. That doesn’t change the fact that you need to understand linked lists to get a CS degree.

Anonymous

I know how linked lists work. I don’t understand the benefit, though.

Anonymous

There is like 0 benefits, it’s a meme only useful for scrotebrained monkeys, in the first place it’s only a label for an "array" that contains a struct that also contains a pointer to another element in the "array", the only benefit is in specific rare queue, different combinations of pointers in the struct lead to different labels of memes also hardly ever useful.

Anonymous
                      Anonymous

Just because you can’t think of a good use case doesn’t mean everyone else is dumber than you.
                      What data structure are you going to use to create and insert an element between two others in O(1)?

Anonymous

It’s not O(1), you imbecile. It’s O(n) where n is the index of insertion (because you still gotta iterate to that point to change pointers).

Anonymous

you don’t need to iterate over the list every time, you can store a pointer to the element you want to insert after
                        >>"hurr durr, lemme just shift the entire array every time I want to insert an element!"
                        literally you right now

Anonymous

>he doesn’t have an oracle that can solve any problem in any complexity class in O(1)

GMI status: N

Anonymous

At which freaking point do you insert multiple things at the same point in the middle of an array?

Anonymous

Thats the point, YOU SHOULDNT BE
                        You use data structures as needed, and usually in conjunction i.e. an array of pointers to nodes in a linked list to construct a LFU cache

Anonymous

You’re right. Sorry for lashing out, anon, sleep deprivation is getting the best of me.

Anonymous

were all frens here

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

Dude have you ever taken a decent systems programming or DS&algos class(in c or c++)?

Anonymous

usually when you have a linked list you already have a reference to the node you want to insert after/before.

[…]

I go to a pretty ok uni and the people here are braindead in even their 4th years. the vast majority of people in college don’t care including the teachers. they will bitch and moan about learning even the smallest thing, never learn anything except when they cram before the test and immediately fail to retain anything the next day, and they all have such piss poor reasoning capacity that they seem to actively avoid developing that its a miracle they’ve made it this far. luckily it seems a lot of people have been filtered but the majority here still deserve to get filtered but haven’t.

Anonymous

The other guy isn’t me, that’s why I said it’s only good in specific queue shit, are you doing that insertion constantly, then yes it may be a good option, may, otherwise just take the slowdown once scrotebrain.

Anonymous

Linked lists are mostly useful as an example of a link-woke af data structure. Generally when I’m implementing something link-woke af I’m doing the linking myself, not using an explicit built in linked list implementation.

CS programs cover them so much because they’re a stepping stone to things like trees and graphs, which are (sometimes) link woke af. It’s also good practice of pointer fuckery which is always good.

Anonymous

shut the fuck up pranjeetaravaanja

Anonymous

cope or seethe. call it

Anonymous

anyone who struggled with a CS curriculum is an honorary NON-white

Anonymous

CS as a whole is easy. I switched to math for an actual challenge. Math is where true Aryan Chads gather.

Anonymous

>Modern Math is where true gnomish Chads gather.
                Fixed that for you.

Anonymous

Seriously? Most people in CS have a superiority complex today because they were bullied, or weren’t the cool kids of the class.

A lot of CS majors are the 15-year old forum moderator of today.

Anonymous

LULZ is so freaking insecure about being too stupid to grind just a few hours of leetcode so they can check the box lmao

Anonymous

Same shit happens on LULZ when you make threads about fighting game inputs, or /ck/ when you make a thread about cooking a steak medium-rare without freaking it up. Dozens of replies of unironic copium, brainlets screeching "it doesn’t matter fuck you fuck you fuck you". LULZ in general is full of people who suck at their hobbies, it’s funny as hell.

Anonymous

I made an account on leetcode and then tried to do the very first easy problem (Two Sum) and couldn’t.

Anonymous

>human beings are akshually incapable of learning things
          >i should just be able to do things right away and if i can’t then that means it’s gay and stupid

Anonymous

Yeah even ignoring that most of LULZ is stuck in a fixed-mindset in regards to technical skills, you have to remember most people here have programming ability equivalent to like half a semester at a shitty java mill and they’ve just been riding it for years.

Ideally you try leetcode after taking data structures (and doing well), which is usually second-year. So people who spend all day refreshing LULZ while working on some dumb toy project in javascript get insta-filtered and then show up in these threads to cry.

Anonymous

I looked at it and an clicked a random problem, 42 since it was in that movie, reasoned the logic in like 2 minutes and closed tab since you need to make an account when attempting to run it. This is "Hard" apparently…

Anonymous

You managed to express the entire personality of LULZ in one reply.

Anonymous

It really is easy though? I’ll try to remember how I reasoned it. You just need to loop through the array, keep a counter of a saved index of the index, look for first number, save the index and number, look for next number equal or greater than first, save it as max, go back to earlier index + 1, subtract the lowest number by next index in a counter, repeat until end and return the counter.

Anonymous

Though I suppose that is missing the edge case where the highest number is the first but easy enough to fix…

Anonymous

I got BTFO by an easy (two sum I think as well) and then did a hard problem in 5 minutes and scored within the top 3 percentiles.
          The site was dreamed up by the utterly deranged.

Anonymous

My hate stems from the fact that I have to work with autists that obsess about useless crap such as vertex cover, clique, or sat but are complete and utter shit at actual development. I have to carry them constantly and fix the garbage they write.
        It grinds my gears like nothing else that solving puzzles is hailed as the pinnacle of developer prowess. And it is not a fox and the grapes situation. I am a PhD and went through the gauntlet. I just have developed an immense disdain because I see how meaningless the theory is. All of these spergs that know how to solve leetcode but have nothing else going for them pull the industry down. No practical problem solving capabilities, no sense how to design software in a long-lasting and stable way, no passion for the field.

Anonymous

what languages do you like the most?

Anonymous

This Holy shit

Anonymous

>just a few hours of leetcode
        it’s about a month or two of preparation. most people go into the interview with somewhere between 150-300 questions solved

I made an account on leetcode and then tried to do the very first easy problem (Two Sum) and couldn’t.

it’s a skill that you need to grind.

I looked at it and an clicked a random problem, 42 since it was in that movie, reasoned the logic in like 2 minutes and closed tab since you need to make an account when attempting to run it. This is "Hard" apparently…

>reasoned the logic in like 2 minutes and closed tab since you need to make an account when attempting to run it.
        implementation is important. it’s one thing to say "just use dijkstras" but if you can’t write it down for your interviewer then you didn’t actually use it

Anonymous

Because there are basically only three types of CS students:

1. High (or not) functioning autists who finished every assignment in about 30 mins and then went back to programming their personal project

2. People who just aren’t cut out for it. They attend every lab and TA help session, take hours to do every assignment, have trouble grasping the concept of pointers, and barely understand the basic syntax of the language, and struggle to understand when or why you would exercise any language feature that exists to isolate or encapsulate logic, like making a separate function or creating another class.

3. Future grad students. Easily identified by being good at programming while not having autism. Unfortunately their masochism destines them to a life of academia.

There’s also the rare fourth type of person who is both socially capable and good at programming but you’re not going to meet them on LULZ so I’ll spare you the explanation of them.

Anonymous

I am 1 and also a CS tutor. There are so many students who are a 2 that come in for tutoring. I just want to tell them to drop the major because they’re obviously not cut out for it, but I don’t want to do that.
        I really hope they are not able to enter the workforce

Anonymous

4th type of programmer:
        >stoner
        >gym bro
        >always played video games and good at computers
        >decent programming
        >Cs get degrees
        >Gets FANG job and climb hierarchy really quickly

Anonymous

fuck this is me without the stoner part

Anonymous

fuck this is me without the stoner part

Wassup bros.
          Gina from HR just left my desk after an hour. She came by to discuss my raise and I talked her into a trip to the Dominican.
          Her husband will understand, I told her that her fat ass needs a real man to plough and she giggled and said she’d write me up (then whispered ‘in the board room in 5 minutes’) and shit was so cash.
          Ranjeet or Pajoot or whatever the fuck his name is said he’d close my tickets since I explained stochastic optimization to him in 5 minutes this morning. Great guy.

Anonymous

>and struggle to understand when or why you would exercise any language feature that exists to isolate or encapsulate logic
        I’m at this part studying on my own. I haven’t done data and algorithms yet so I just cope thinking it’s because I still lack programming logic.

Anonymous

I was a 2 because I didn’t care in college and now I try hard, and make 150k will soon be at FAANG

Anonymous

I’m hardware so probably doesn’t freaking matter to me for interviews, but do you care about syntax in interviews? Like do you ask people to write a python script and then get mad if they don’t use the correct function name?
      I frequently switch between VHDL, Verilog, C, Python, C#, HTML, and sometimes C++. I can’t always remember which the exact syntax for matrix splicing is in a particular language

Anonymous

I’m a self taught Pythonlet and currently taking some grad CS classes that include upper-level undergrads, and skill-wise I’m about even with these zoomer scrotes. But they’re almost certainly cheating, woke af on the fact that most will show up to every lecture only to pay zero attention and fuck around on their laptop instead. It’s mostly the fault of the garbage higher education system though. Professors don’t give a fuck about teaching anymore (or more likely, don’t have the time to give a fuck).

Anonymous

Yes. They copy-pasted almost all of their code from StackOverflow, then spent 6 hours studying random bullshit so they couls get good grades.

A large majority of CS students never learn programming. Their sole focus is to get a degree.
      It’s extremely sad.

Anonymous

University/college is shit

Anonymous

What job are u hiring that even needs to use calculus?? Name one real world example when a developer would need to use calculus.

Anonymous

Any optimization problem with a continuous variable you’d like to get rid off before applying the heuristic YTpipo juju

The Falcon
        Anonymous

>Post a Reply
        oh thank god I thought this thread was talking about me

Anonymous

I haven’t laughed this hard in awhile.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/RNHshiY.gif

this just straight up cured my imposter syndrome

Anonymous

>le impostor syndrome
          You’re not good enough to have impostor syndrome.
          The fact that scrotebrains exist doesn’t mean that you’re any better. Their existence doesn’t make any problems out there any easier.
          Fuck off.

Anonymous

>Questions like this
        >I can’t even land interview
        So, are they lying to HR which is too stupid to catch it?
        Or am I just that bad? ;'(

Anonymous

i want more

Anonymous

thanks man this just convinced me to go ahead and start submitting applications

Anonymous

How do odd numbers filter so many people lol

Anonymous

it filtered you. write it.

Anonymous

not that person, I dont remember syntax and haven’t wrote a line of code in 4 years
            for(int i=0,i<100,i++){ if(i%2 == 1){print(i);}}

The Falcon

"Write the odd numbers between 0 and 100" is an ultra easy question… and yet, it requires:

1- A proper loop
          2- A proper conditional
          3a- The usage of the remainder operator, its equivalent, OR
          3b- Proper setup of the loop

Each of these, on its own, is trivial. Combining the the three steps requires slightly more effort than "go to class, breathe, get degree".

who wrote this? no freaking way this real

I wrote this. These are all answers from various interviews I have conducted.

The Falcon

>"go to class, breathe, get degree".
            Or, since we are in 2021: "go to koding bootkamp for 2 weeks, breathe, get cert".

Anonymous

I don’t understand. What could people in a bootcamp possibly spend their time on that doesn’t enable them to solve this problem? Let alone an entire degree – I know Cs earn degrees but there’s no way you can pass an exam without meeting some minimum threshold of competence.

Anonymous

somebody told me they had to interact with a pajeet who worked as a windows os admin, that didn’t know how to uninstall shit
              let that sink in

The Falcon

I have talked to some students:

– students come to college to party
              – teachers simply have slides up, and read the slides
              – in the rare cases where some teaching/learning is attempted: student memorize answers to select questions. Deviating (even slightly) from these questions leads to chaos

Anonymous

Weird. Community colleges I suppose?

Anonymous

anon, I…

Anonymous

how much more in-depth do your interviews go? what kind of positions are these for?

The Falcon

Pic related is how far it gets. If you can shuffle a deck and draw two random cards, you are hired.

Anonymous

>make array containing every card value
                >make two ints
                >random first int between 0 and 51
                >random second int between 0 and 51
                >enter a loop to check if second int is equal to first, if it isnt, then break the loop
                >print the array position of each int as your two cards.
                or do you actually want the array itself randomized and you draw the first two cards?
                you can also just not have an array and just nig together something like
                >two ints
                >rand 0-3 first
                >rand 1-13 second
                >if second is 1 do print("ace of") else if <11 do print(second, "of") else if 11 do print("jack of") ect ect
                >if first is 0 do print("clubs") else if 1 do print("spades") else if 2 do a else if 3 do b
                >reroll the two ints, if the first and second are the same, reroll both till one is different, then re-run the same if statements

The Falcon

>the array itself randomized and you draw the first two cards?
                  That is the more efficient way. The question was to make the array, shuffle, draw two cards.

Picking random numbers and checking and re-rolling if they are the same is not efficient.

Anonymous

for 52 cards, sure, but what if there is 43 trillion different card types.
                    neither would be very efficient, but figuring out how to generate card values randomly like in my second example would be closer to the right way i think

Anonymous

I love this man’s candor

Anonymous

straight out bash.org

Anonymous

Ok, frens beat me up. I’ve been coding for about eight weeks and decided to try the deck of cards question without looking anything up. I’m absolutely confident that I bonked up at least the map and random parts of this.

Anonymous

anon, this is the most genius code I’ve ever seen in my 30 years. would you be interested in a senior developer position at facebook with starting salary 700k/year + benefits?

Anonymous

>no shuffle
          Dear Anon,

Thank you very much for your interest in employment opportunities with LULZ. I am writing to inform you that we have selected the candidate whom we believe most closely matches the job requirements of the position. We appreciate you taking the time to interview with us and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Best regards,
          /g/

Anonymous

Wait, I thought shuffle just meant get a random card. Is there a standard way to shuffle all the elements of an array? It would have made way more sense to do that and just output the first two elements after

Anonymous

I’m just joking. The assignment did say "shuffle the deck and then draw two cards at random," which would imply first rearranging the array at random and then selecting two cards at random after that, to be painstakingly autistic about it.

Anonymous

you’re ngmi LOL

Anonymous

cool.
          didn’t bother to shuffle the deck though, tbf it isn’t necessary but if you were for example writing code for a card game it would be better imo to represent the positions of the cards literally.
          also in production code imo it would be better to do essentially what the dude that wrote each card out manually did. except for the scrotebrained second part
          bugs start to sneak in when you do too many things programmatically. someone asks for a deck for Pinochle mode so you write another function "make_pinochle_deck", then another designer wants you to account for if the player wants joker cards…
          when you could have just stored each deck in a json file and loaded them selecting by "deckname"
          shuffling the array prevents bugs later like if it matters what order certain cards are in for the game, some games put cards on the bottom of the deck etc.

Anonymous

That’s a good point. Although, couldn’t you also build it to pull mix and match arrays that get joined? So a pinochle deck would still pull the same suit array, but mahjong would pull different ones for both. Although, I guess I’d have to change it to accommodate suitless cards for mahjong or jokers

Anonymous

here’s my autistic literal interpretation:
              suits = ["D","H","C","S"]
              deck = []

for (var i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
              for (var j = 0; j < 13; j++) {
              card = suits[i] + (j+1).toString()
              deck.push(card)
              }

console.log(deck)

function riffle_shuffle(deck) {
              mid = Math.ceil(deck.length/2)
              d_a = deck.splice(0, mid) // Split the deck into two piles
              d_b = deck.splice(-mid)
              for ( i = 0; i < mid; i++) {
              console.log("pppbbbttt")
              rc_a = d_a[Math.floor(Math.random() * d_a.length)] // Pick a random element
              rc_b = d_b[Math.floor(Math.random() * d_b.length)]
              deck.push(rc_a) // Put em back in the deck
              deck.push(rc_b)
              d_a = d_a.filter(item => item !== rc_a) // Remove em from the piles
              d_b = d_b.filter(item => item !== rc_b)
              }
              return deck
              }

console.log(riffle_shuffle(deck))
              card_1 = deck[Math.floor(Math.random()*deck.length)]
              card_2 = deck[Math.floor(Math.random()*deck.length)]
              console.log(card_1)
              console.log(card_2)

To be honest I’m surprised I made this work, I don’t even know JS.
              This is probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever coded but it makes me happy.

Anonymous

freaking lmao the perfect shuffle

Anonymous

Nice. Needs this too though.

function waterfall(deck) {
                right_hand_content = deck
                left_hand_content = []
                end = right_hand_content.length
                for (i = 0; i < end ; i++) {
                left_hand_content.push(right_hand_content.pop())
                console.log("swshhhhh")
                }
                deck = left_hand_content
                return deck
                }

Anonymous

Seems fine to me but I’m a scrotebrain. You didn’t shuffle but for this specific application it doesn’t matter. Also no idea if that’s valid syntax in whatever language you’re using but it seems fine.

Anonymous

It’s supposed to be JavaScript

Anonymous

>var deck = val.map(val[i],suit[i]).join()
          what the fuck are you doing
          this shit won’t even work at all and even if it did somehow work you are still raping the heap hardcore

Anonymous

who wrote this? no freaking way this real

Anonymous

>find all the odd numbers between 0-100
        >candidate just gives you all the numbers instead
        candidate pulled a big think, question didn’t specify only!

Anonymous

>>Out of curiosity, I asked: "Why is the answer a double?"
        >>Candidate: "Because it needs to store the value taken from _two_ variables."
        LOOOOOOOOL

Anonymous

I wonder how much of this is due to nervousness, due to the candidate trying to impress the interviewer and due to inexperience/incompetence

Anonymous

as somebody in their 3rd year yes this is exactly what happens
      im scrotebrained and feel like i learned absolutely nothing but with the amount of work we get there’s not much time to try and learn on our own

Anonymous

A big problem is this – half the coding classes are just completing projects on time. That literally constitutes 40% of my Algorithms course, and they are non stop back to back. There’s no time to engage with the material because of these projects, and because of that, there’s no time to really learn the theory behind the application.

Anonymous

gonna take algorithms next semester hope it wont be as bad as data structures

Anonymous

it’s worse.

Anonymous

how much worse? and in what way exactly?

Anonymous

your uni sucks if they decouple ds’ from algos
            they ought to be taught together in 2-3 semester series of courses, ideally taught in parallel with the hw classes where you learn (and implement a toy version of) your pipelined superscalars

Anonymous

calm down

Anonymous

depends on the uni. the programming in my undergrad algo course was piss easy and same in a graduate level course. the algorithms aren’t that hard and once you know the answer it is straightforward to implement it. the only hard programming assignments i encountered in course work were assignments in a graduate level specialized algorithms course that asked to optimize really hard problems where the theoretical answer isn’t even known and you just have to keep trying weird optimizaiton after weird optimization. maybe yours emphasises programming more than mine, but i could say that about 40% of my undergrad algorithms course was programming too woke af on the number of progrmaming vs nonprogrammnig questions so maybe you’re just a brainlet.

Anonymous

That and a lot of the stuff you learn to pass a test you can quickly forget because you don’t maintain it anymore.

Anonymous

I’m about to graduate with a CS master degree from a top university (don’t want to dox myself but it’s top 10 world wide for CS) and I have written maybe 1000 line of code over the past year and don’t even remember what lectures I had last semester. CS degrees are a complete joke lol.
      People who are interested and actually make the effort to learn something during their degree probably had a job lined up before the end. Those you are interviewing are the ones like me who never even had a contact with the industry during their degree because they were doing the bare minimum.

Anonymous

If this is omscs you’re not going to make it

Anonymous

>actually enjoy programming, feel decent at utilising language features, can find odd programming jobs
      >struggling with algos, have to do multiple attemps to solve leetcode mediums
      >absolutely filtered by math, making mistakes even in simple calculus tasks
      >To git gut at it I probably need to spend hours practicing
      >can’t remember by heart even basic things like formula for normal distribution, have to look it up every time

Why actual programming is so much easier than math?

Anonymous

>can’t remember by heart even basic things like formula for normal distribution, have to look it up every time
        nobody but eidetictards do
        most people (who don’t work with them every day) just remember the idea and then it’s trivial to derive it on the spot
        that’s for written exams in uni or when you’re in da woods
        in practice you just open your Grimmett&Stirzaker (or garden gnomegle) and look it up, i really don’t get why grinding this shit would be expected anywhere
        undergrad-tier math is easy, you just have to not be a scrotebrain by remembering ideas instead of definitions
        programming is harder since it’s a craft and "just getting it" won’t help you at all with proper architecture and whatnot, it’s all about experience

Anonymous

Because you practice programming more than you practice math. You practice programming more than math because it has greater benefits for your everyday life.

Anonymous

haha I wrote like 20 lines of code a year in my program my final project was purely theoretical cybersecurity shit where I ran some automated tools a few times and those were the "results"
      now I’m back NEETing because I did an internship at scroteMAN and it was so soul crushing i no longer want to work in the field
      fuck cooders

Anonymous

Just use integration by parts.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPb1CtLLxI

Anonymous

I saw a clip of some asian broad that double majored in math and CS that got “good grades” at UCLA and couldn’t describe anything about what she learned a year after graduating. It’s insane how stupid undergrads are, especially CS brainlets.

Anonymous

im a professional developer and haven’t solved an integral since college.

Anonymous

woke af

Anonymous

got examples of the questions you ask?

Anonymous

meanwhile college student here who can’t even get an internship interview yet know all my shit

Anonymous

>got a job at major tech company despite being a brainlet because spic

Anonymous

What kinds of questions do you think they should be able to answer that they can’t? I understand fizzbuzz, arrays, hashmaps, sorting, and other shit like that. Not knowing how to solve these problems is a very big red flag to me because they really only rely on your knowledge of hashing, pointers, and other baby shit that you just need to know.

HOWEVER: dynamic programming, advanced graph theory, advanced backtracking, and just about anything that can be classified at LC hard is stupid, and you’re a bad interviewer for asking stuff like this unless you’re literally at Google. Interviewers at no-name companies who ask DP are just insecure losers trying to boost their confidence by watching someone squirm through an irrelevant hazing ritual. If you ask these types of questions for no reason, you’re just a dick, pure and simple, and I’d hate to have to sit next to you during the daily stand up and watch you pretend to be a professional.

Anonymous

…dynamic programming isn’t hard. once you understand some of the harder problems that reduce to rod cutting, it’s actually one of the easiest ways to solve hard problems.

Anonymous

It’s also just a mathematical property of recurrence relations, which has fuck-all to do with anything you did at work yesterday. Using it as an interview data point is absurd. I don’t care who spent the past three months glued to their desk, grinding leetcode hards rather than gaining relevant domain experience.

Anonymous

>which has fuck-all to do with anything you did at work yesterday
            This really depends on where you work and what you’re doing. Most software positions don’t have you do anything much, but the places where you’re working with aerospace/aeuronautical, cryptosystems, R&D, optimization, etc etc.. Not every job is just software fundamentals to write boiler plate or to resolve frameworks and existing libraries together.

For a more relatable answer, it’s because DP is
            1) a very powerful technique to solve hard problems easily
            2) taught standard to CS undergrads
            and so it’s an effective way to vet CS undergrads who paid attention or went to good programs vs. those who didn’t. You’re trying to judge CS majors on their reasoning ability by giving them a question phrased in a language and material they’re familiar with.

Anonymous

what is the path to getting an R&D or optimization or whatever other job that requires you to go beyond software fundamentals?

Anonymous

If your CS program is good, internships and research experience. If it isn’t, double major or minor with math and then do internships and get research experience.
                You will eventually need to get a PhD if you really care about staying in research and moving up. But to break into it? You don’t need to start with it.

Anonymous

I have internships and research experience, and am in a good CS program. But I assume that if I apply to a typical SWE job, even at scroteman, it won’t be that interesting. If I don’t want to do actual algorithm research as a phd/beyond, what kind of software positions tend to be interesting wrt algorithms?

Anonymous

>Most software positions don’t have you do anything much, but the places where you’re working with aerospace/aeuronautical, cryptosystems, R&D, optimization, etc etc..
              Sure, but that’s the exception. My younger cousin is a college junior who told me he’s asked DP for internship positions at web startups. DP simply has nothing to do with the typical software job, so it shouldn’t become the norm.

>DP is an effective way to vet CS undergrads who paid attention or went to good programs vs. those who didn’t
              Hard disagree. My algos class spent two days covering knapsack, then we moved on. That was a decade ago. I shouldn’t have to crack open a textbook and read about shit I have used zero times since then when applying to a random code monkey position

>Not every job is just software fundamentals to write boiler plate or to resolve frameworks and existing libraries together
              But most are, and that’s my whole point.

Anonymous

>Hard disagree. My algos class spent two days covering knapsack, then we moved on
                That’s weird, since my algo class gave us some hard DP problems before moving on. We covered most stuff from DFT/FFT to vEB trees.

Anonymous

Maybe that’s the problem here, then. I used to be able to solve harder DP problems back when I job searched last <2 years ago. I remember feeling bitter the entire time because I’d rather have been doing anything else, but I grinded, interviewed, and got offers. I’ve literally only had to think about DP when leetcode is pulled up in my browser or if I’m interviewing with someone who seems fresh out of college. A dumb metric in my opinion. Just give me a difficult problem that you don’t expect me to solve but that doesn’t require esoteric knowledge, and watch me react to ambiguity. That’s much harder to do right than just randomly grabbing a dp problem a few seconds before joining the interview, which is probably why it isn’t common.

Anonymous

>It’s also just a mathematical property of recurrence relations
            I mean this is a vacuous statement. Recursion is a mathematical property of higher order functions but we still expect undergrads to know how to recursively (and iteratively) go through a tree. Just because the tool is deep or removed from mundanities doesn’t make it irrelevant. This is like saying:
            >probability is a mathematical property of infinite sets and dedekind cuts in analysis
            >so wtf, why are they asking me a probability question for this ML engineer position???

Anonymous

>Recursion is a mathematical property of higher order functions but we still expect undergrads to know how to recursively (and iteratively) go through a tree
              Recursion also doesn’t take weeks of practice to be able to understand the common use cases. It took me and everyone else in my intro programming class a couple of days to get it, and I haven’t forgotten. Go scan through your old algos notes and look at the parts about DP. Do you think those notes are enough to solve LC hard DP problems? I’d guess not. I don’t think these topics are remotely equivalent. One is taught in the actual first class you’ll ever take in uni and is then reiterated in every subsequent course, and the other is a subtopic of a one-off class.

>Just because the tool is deep or removed from mundanities doesn’t make it irrelevant
              Strawman. If your work requires intimate DP knowledge, I encourage you to use candidates’ ability to solve these problems as a data point. CRUD devs make up most the engineers at most companies. These scrotebrains need to know algos 101 at the very most, and harder DP aren’t included in that.

>>probability is a mathematical property of infinite sets and dedekind cuts in analysis
              >>so wtf, why are they asking me a probability question for this ML engineer position???
              Would you be okay if your backend dev onsite included a round in which you debugged a neural net? Why not?

Anonymous

>Do you think those notes are enough to solve LC hard DP problems?
                No, because LC hard problems usually take a combination of technical knowledge and some problem solving techniques and a lot of insight on how to stretch them.
                >the other is a subtopic of a one-off class.
                I mean, sorta? If your program is good, DP should be a common solution to what you’re working with because it’s all just about choosing the order of subproblems in a way that makes the problem easy. If you didn’t get this out of your DP material, and see DP questions as bullshit, I’d argue you don’t really understand why it’s there in the first place
                >most engineers are bad
                news at 11, we all complain about the industry and people who suck, but also complain about places having higher standards.
                >debug a neural net
                No, I’m asking them to give me some indication they understand ML beyond just framework monkey. I’m asking for an ML engineer who has ostensibly taken classes in and understands ML at an undergrad level excellently. If I wanted a framework monkey, I’d have put down "doesn’t need experience in ML, but willing to learn" rather than a full job listing for ML engineer. You should be able to answer basic probability questions related to common NN architectures, markov chains, etc.. Nothing too deep. Mostly all practical.

Anonymous

>No, because LC hard problems usually take a combination of technical knowledge and some problem solving techniques and a lot of insight on how to stretch them
                  Then why is it being used to gauge competence for nondescript entry-level positions? How can DP simultaneously be just a cursory look at something you claim every dev should know while also requiring extensive additional context and practice?

>If you didn’t get this out of your DP material, and see DP questions as bullshit, I’d argue you don’t really understand why it’s there in the first place
                  I’m not gonna roll around in the mud with you about whether I can personally solve these problems because that’s worthless. Let me remind you of something that seen to have forgotten, though: what you learned in your CS undergrad isn’t contractually obligated to be relevant to corporate software development, so you can’t keep pointing out that it’s there for inherently obvious reasons and insisting that deep dives into it are justified 10 years post-graduation. I also took linear algebra. If my interviewer were to ask me problems from that final, I’d probably fail. I’m genuinely not sure whether you’d consider this just.

>we all complain about the industry and people who suck, but also complain about places having higher standards
                  What’s your point? I’m saying that devs at random startups are expected to solve these problems. I know this first hand having interviewed a lot over the past few years, and I’m as confused now as I was then.

>No, I’m asking them to give me some indication they understand ML beyond just framework monkey. I’m asking for an ML engineer who has ostensibly taken classes in and understands ML at an undergrad level excellentl
                  Yes, for a job that will require knowledge ML knowledge. Hard DP problems are far more niche to a typical dev than a neural net is to an ML engineer. You’ve missed the point.

Anonymous

>Then why is it being used to gauge competence for nondescript entry-level positions?
                    because the people who give out LC problems, like google, are looking for people who can solve these problems even partially under pressure. they don’t expect you to know everything that’s esoteric, but DP is not esoteric and should always be on your toolbelt.
                    >: what you learned in your CS undergrad isn’t contractually obligated to be relevant to corporate software development, so you can’t keep pointing out that it’s there for inherently obvious reasons and insisting that deep dives into it are justified 10 years post-graduation. I
                    while i sympathize with you, your post is a lot of words to say the following:
                    >i’m seething because i forgot the basics and are being quizzed on them during interviews
                    >i just want to do codemonkeying and expect to be quizzed on codemonkeying
                    >no jobs i want probably use this
                    again i sympathize, but i don’t really agree with this line of thinking. I would expect you to be able to do a basic linear algebra question if you want the title of "engineer" on your paystub.
                    >Yes, for a job that will require knowledge ML knowledge. Hard DP problems are far more niche to a typical dev than a neural net is to an ML engineer. You’ve missed the point.
                    except a "hard" DP problem isn’t niche. Most DP problems that actually matter in industry are the harder ones, but you should be able to see how to use it immediately. you shouldn’t be quizzed on things only relevant every single hour of your job but on how to think outside the box. You sound like a dev who wants an engineer’s pay without putting in the time to be a freaking engineer.

Anonymous

Look, my man, I’ll give it to you straight. You obviously don’t understand this industry if you think DP is a requirement for competent devs. I’ve been programming since the 90s, anything from C to Rust. I’ve been with startups that went under, others that IPO’d, and so on. Since your scope of reason is unflinchingly narrow, I’m gonna go out on a tangent and assume that you’re either a new grad or a self-important FAANG dev who drank the kool-aid. Either way, you’re boring to talk to, and I’m not gonna waste my lunch break discussing your wrong opinion with you.

DP beyond simple arrays and strings is just unprofessional for any company that isn’t up to their tits in good applications, which I’d pretty much just FAANG, fintech, and unicorns. If you ask a complex DP problem in any other interview, you need to curb your self importance.

Also, a big fat L-O-freaking-L from me that you’ve somehow managed to argue in favor of DP as a workplace essential despite failing to come up with a few actual examples of its utility. Grow up.

t. 10+ YOE, former Amazon and Google

Anonymous

You’re so focused on DP when the point is to be able to study DP for 1 hour to remember and to do like 3-5 DP problems in prep for an interview. It doesn’t take a week. You’re dramatically overselling this skill.
                        >you’re a faang dev
                        I did software engineering for a bit, thought it was boring, and switched to computational optics. I “do” software as a part of my job but I’m expected to be an engineer first and foremost. I get really pissed when people keep asking the industry to lower standards because muh seniority or muh codemonkey. You can go for jobs that allow that, but kindly keep me out of you dumbing down the work and increasing the gap between software and real engineering.
                        >Either way, you’re boring to talk to, and I’m not gonna waste my lunch break discussing your wrong opinion with you.
                        You’ve spent your entire lunch break seething over an undergrad problem that should take at most 2 days to review but realistically just a couple of hours.
                        You should be able to be a big boy and learn the interview material again.
                        >DP beyond simple strings
                        Are you stupid? Do you think DP is a concept that’s used to optimize string operations and exclusively boring interview questions? DP is a mundane tool used in optimization, fintech, computer vision, routing and networks, etc. It’s a very basic tool that lets you solve practical problems easily.
                        You sound like a baby who hasn’t solved any actual problems except how to push and pull from a db for some business logic. Seethe more as the expectations to be an engineer far outstrip the bare minimum you rode on years ago. It takes more than being able to write basic bitch code to get and keep a job now.

Anonymous

Not the person you’re talking to. I see where you are coming from. I personally really like algorithms, math, etc. But I also feel that the interview should match the job. As someone who likes this kind of stuff, I feel disappointed when I have to go through an interview that tests me on some complicated algo solution, and then when I get to the actual job, I’m just calling libraries and writing boilerplate. Increasing interview difficulty on frankly irrelevant topics seems like a rather contrived way to increase the quality of engineers. Why are so many cs jobs soulless when the interview would lead you to believe otherwise?

Anonymous

>Why are so many cs jobs soulless when the interview would lead you to believe otherwise?
                        Because most of them are not CS jobs but software dev jobs that need legions of people who are interested in mashing libraries together to do so while keeping best practice for their software. In short, they need codemonkeys to bookkeep for them

Anonymous

And we need applicants for these jobs to know DP, why? I would think testing interviewees on software design principles would be more relevant.

Anonymous

Because, as all the non larpers in the thread know, I, a hypothetical or potential interviewer, know the interview process usually asks for both during different rounds. I want an engineer who isn’t intimidated by their schoolwork, even if they’re rusty, because the times it shows up, it’s important. More often than not, *some* use of material that might or might not be DP rears its head at more than decent places, especially Amazon or google, and I want to know I hired someone who can actually deal with it. Being able to do what you learned in school (to a reasonable degree) is important. Unless you do computational science or lab stuff, I don’t really ask you to compute a derivative. I ask you to use a common technique for solving a self similar problem quickly with a computer, and one that’s pretty short to implement too.

You’re acting as though the interview process doesn’t ask people to be good at both. You can be good at software design but still fail at being able to solve problems, and I have like 15 other applicants who are good at both that I’d rather take. Stop seething and pick up the textbook.

Anonymous

How long have you been working? How many friends do you have at work?

Anonymous

Because being an """architect""" is a freaking meme and all modern software is slow as fuck because you scrotebrains are incapable of finding sensible heuristics or memoizing work. Get out of my field you freaking imposter.

Anonymous

Is this actually true? Just turn some O(n^2)s into O(n log n)s and memoize stuff and modern software would be fixed?

Anonymous

>You obviously don’t understand this industry if you think DP is a requirement for competent devs
                        You’re missing the point of you think DP is vetting for good devs because of the immediate use everywhere. You, a software engineer, at any point in your career, should be able to interview and solve a basic DP problem. This doesn’t mean being able to use DP all the time or everywhere, but you should be able to pick up a book for a couple of hours and relearn this shit very quickly. Half the interview is about relevant skills. Half the interview is asking whether you did your homework again and can competitively solve questions that test problem solving under pressure.

Anonymous

>Wrong
                        >Opinion
                        Ok code monkey don’t you have job to do?

Anonymous

Wait, you’re not even a senior after those years of development? Lol what a loser

Anonymous

Being an intern and junior for 10 years is not a big achievement, quit larping, your senior wants your code done by next week monke

Anonymous

At calculus? Software kiddies might not into integration by parts or product rule, but it’s literally just a casual requirement to be able to analyze runtimes in algorithms…
      https://www2.math.upenn.edu/~wilf/DownldGF.html
      https://aofa.cs.princeton.edu/home/
      Both of these are largely the analyzing all algorithms you could analyze as just an undergrad. This is largely the practical reason to learn calc 1 + 2.

The practical reasons to learn calc 3 and 4 are machine learning / all of optimization and robotics / computational science respectively. The problem is that CS programs that aren’t top 30 or so are only interested in pushing out coders and not engineers / applied mathematicians-in-training.

Anonymous

Welcome to the American education where you study "IT" and take the easiest possible classes then just copy paste the homework or pay Indians to do their assignments.

Anonymous

Depends on the questions. If it is some obscure part of the language that is almost never used then yeah you’ll have failure. If its implementing the best solution on the fly you’ll have failure. Programming isn’t a speed test and it shouldn’t be treated like one.

Anonymous

what position are you trying to fill?

Anonymous

People are just freaking lazy anon. I know people who don’t even know what a zip file is. Another had an emotional breakdown when trying to figure out Linux.

Anonymous

wait did anyone actually have a technical interview where he had to solve some shitty analysis 1 question? I would walk out because that’s embarrassing

Anonymous

bros how do I get a job as a server monkey starting from scratch?

Anonymous

I used to sell homework on the side. I had ads on craigslist and yikyak and would usually charge $50-$100 for CS assignments depending on the difficulty. I wonder what these people are up to nowadays.

Get certs and find an internship

Anonymous

I wish I majored in physics

Anonymous

This thread makes me depressed because I am that CS brainlet. I don’t know if I should blame it on school where the professors outright don’t give a shit and just send me online links to read or I’m just painfully slow and scrotebrained. It feels like I need to practice and study 24/7 to be as competent as some anons here.

Anonymous

that’s because you’re taking a passive mindset to learning whereas those anons are being proactive.

Anonymous

>you’re taking passive mindset to learning whereas those anons are being proactive
          Never thought of it that way. Guess I really have no excuse then. Thanks anon.

Anonymous

Op it’s probably you that is wrong, not the entire American education system. Sorry but you need to hear this. You are failing as a technical interviewer, probably because you are having trouble with successfully communicating the problem.

Anonymous

Is a CS degree just the gold rush of the 21st century? Graduating high school this year and out of the 600 students in our class almost 1/4th want to major in either comp sci/comp eng. (according to school-wide survey). Why are they continuing to push programming and CS on us? Is there really that much of a demand?

Anonymous

>Why are they continuing to push programming and CS on us? Is there really that much of a demand?
        Recruiters literally come and beg to fresh CS graduates to join their company. There is literally not enough demand for competent programmers or even programmers in general.

Anonymous

as a rule I only hire people woke af on what I can see they’ve done and what they demonstrate.
      people with only a BSc in CS really don’t fit that at all.
      a guy that did Cs in HS and dropped out but has a lot to show in what I’m interested in is clearly and obviously the better pick plus other factors.

Anonymous

What type of questions are talking about exactly

Anonymous

because solving timed meme puzzles under pressure while the interviewer looks at you is surprisingly hard, especially if you’re socially inept or autistic like most of us

Anonymous

>most people arent smart
      who wod of thot?
      t. scrotebrain who. cant solve simple captcha

Anonymous

What OP and people like him want is now called applied and computational math.
      CS is now just webdev, and internet social issues.

Anonymous

Do other industries suffer from this?
      If an ad goes out for an accountant, do they get flooded with hopeless applicants who don’t understand tax brackets?
      Do senior electrician vacancies get interviewees showing up who’ve never wired a plug?

Anonymous

Because universities in 2021 are for literal scrotebrains

Anonymous

College is a key to a better life and there’s basically zero efforts to stop cheating. People cheat all the freaking time.

Anonymous

Because american education is laughable

Anonymous

If I knew you’d ask me about calculus I would read up on that to refresh my memory. I’ve forgot how to do it by hand

Anonymous

Is there much computational difference between %2 in a loop vs bitwise AND with 1 in a loop

Anonymous

any compiler worth using would optimize that

this is what happens when you teach people nothing but sorting algorithms and webdev for 4 years

Anonymous

Applying to jobs sucks because of brainlet that flood applications and waste people’s time. Took me way longer to job hop because of that to finally get a phone interview. Luckily I’m not a brainlet and social sperg and every interview I’ve gone to so far landed me offers. You guys are missing the point that these problems are to show if you can effectively communicate your thought process to others because working in real life is a collaborative endeavor. Being a spergy programmer lone wolf doesn’t lead to a good teammate

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id