Historically, how did soldiers cope with the insane loudness of guns?

Home Forums History Historically, how did soldiers cope with the insane loudness of guns?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Historically, how did soldiers cope with the absolute insane loudness of guns? I went shooting for the first time recently and was shocked by how incredibly loud even a glock was while wearing double layers of ear protection. How did soldiers not go insane with the constant loud gunfire going off on the battlefield?

Anonymous

Um… they didn’t? Sound-woke af PTSD is extremely common..

Anonymous

>How did soldiers not go insane with the constant loud gunfire going off on the battlefield?
        They do.

but like how would they even be able to fight in that moment? I feel like without adequate ear protection i would just fall on the floor in pain

Anonymous

It’s called self preservation. Repetitive training helps a lot too. I find firearms unpleasantly loud, but don’t have a problem with them when I’m wearing hearing protection.

Anonymous

My cousin who was infantry in Afghanistan has tinnitus from having a 50 cal fired near him when he wasn’t wearing hearing protection.

Anonymous

Well, when you’re running on adrenaline with your amygdala screaming in your ear, it’s easier to ignore pain and fear. That’s why many people only start to experience PTSD symptoms once the immediate fighting is over.

It’s called self preservation. Repetitive training helps a lot too. I find firearms unpleasantly loud, but don’t have a problem with them when I’m wearing hearing protection.

Same, but I think OP means back when people didn’t have comfy earmuffs and nice little plugs to keep us from going deaf.

Anonymous

PTSD develops because modern warfare never allowed for any sense of relatively safety, combined with a total lack of a slow draw down period where a soldier is returning home with people he fought with.
            For 99% of human history in full scale organized wars you would spend weeks or months marching, potentially get in a battle or two and then go home. Unless you were in the front lines, encircled, in a siege, or traped in some massive ambush things were ok. You were not exposed to the constant threat of being instantly as atomized by a tiny dot in the sky.
            It was often very obvious to both the conscious and subconscious when you were and were no in danger.
            And once it was all over assuming you were not killed or didn’t loose too harshly you spent weeks or months marching home with other men you have fought with and potentially knew as friends before you even went off to fight.

These days you get flown over in 12 hours, spend 2 years getting mortared while never seeing the enemy, then get shipped back home in 2 weeks without any time to decompress or transition from one environment to another.
            Meanwhile everyone that has had remotely similar experiences to you with whom you could talk is either still in whereverthefuckistan or is some dude from Nebraska that is now literal hundreds of miles away.
            Everyone else around you is happy to see you home but they are ignorant, naive, and obsessed with shit that now seems trivial to you because less than a week ago your daily problems were will I get to eat and will I die in a giant fireball, not what do you think about this TV show and did you hear that xyz happened with you know who?

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

So your entire theory assumes that PTSD hasn’t been a thing since the Stone Age? There are records of medieval knights breaking down in tears at the sound of metal clanging together.

Anonymous

It was a thing but the conditions of modern warfare made it more common today

Anonymous

Any source that supports the claim that PTSD is more common today?

Anonymous

No, fuck off scrote. I also retract my statement saying "It was a thing". It wasn’t a thing. PTSD was invented a hundred years ago and that’s the end of it.

Anonymous

>f-fuck off scrote, I don’t need a source
                      >it didn’t exist back then because
                      >well…
                      >IT JUST DIDNT OK???

Anonymous

Yes exactly. It didn’t exist, because i said so.

Anonymous

The fact that more soldiers per capita exist for starters

Anonymous

Well we certainly records instances of it a lot more. Sure you can say that it’s just something we treat more seriously now but we knew about Battle Fatigue in WW2 and Operational Exhaustion in Korea.

Anonymous

Skirmish and guerilla warfare are not modern inventions. In medieval siege warfare, they were key elements. Chaos and order were always components of handling the battlefield

Anonymous

This is specific to modern zog bots.
              ww1 and ww2 soldiers still marched long distances

Anonymous

Good post

Anonymous

>You were not exposed to the constant threat of being instantly as atomized by a tiny dot in the sky.

Neither are murimutts in modern warfare
              Only their enemies are (and sometimes their allies, I remember than TV documentary about the French army in Afghanistan in the late 2000s that showed a live occurrence of US air force friendly fire)

Anonymous

This was written by someone who has never been in a dangerous situation in their life

Anonymous

I reject the premise that PTSD is an entirely modern phenomenon, but there are some good points.
              It should also be mentioned that societies in the past had much different views on warfare and killing wasn’t seen as a wholly taboo thing. Also people were familiar with death from a very early age as most kids had grown up around animals being slaughtered and relatives/neighbors in close proximity dying from whatever, not to mention the infant mortality rate.
              Compare the two: this young man going off to the type of warfare mentioned in the post above, with the full support of his society and culture reinforcing ideas such as the glory of combat, and the stories from his elders that celebrate death and sacrifice, to a similar modern solidier:
              The same type of young man, going off to war in a place he’s never heard of, against an emeny he knows nothing about. He’s never seen a dead body in this life, never had to butcher an animal, never seen real blood, and the main moral axioms of his society are ones completely against aggression and violence. Killing, murder, is the worst thing anyone could do, he’s been made to understand that since he was a kid.
              >inb4
              i know this is a broad generalization and different people in different places at different times were geared towards all sorts of different experiences and solidiers in the past definitely experienced PTSD.

Anonymous

You know how in basic training the DI absolutely screams in the face of a cadet? It’s so they get used to the shock and are able to maintain calm when the time comes.

Anonymous

>How did soldiers not go insane with the constant loud gunfire going off on the battlefield?
      They do.

Anonymous

By ignoring it? Modern men are sanitised pussies

Anonymous

how can u ignore the intense pain though

Anonymous

>Modern men are sanitised [sic] pussies
        Speak for yourself

Anonymous

>putting "[sic]" next to a properly spelled word
          Your a scroteet.

Anonymous

>properly spelled
            Fuck off Nigel

Anonymous

The opposite in this case. Early guns scared the living shit out of people and horses. You need to be drilled (and partially deafened) to ignore the noise.

Plus the battles were shorter and rate of fire slower.

Anonymous

Yes early guns but by 1600 people were usedto them

Anonymous

>Modern men
        I’m so freaking tired of this good times=weak men/bad times=strong men meme. Go back to r3ddit you freaking chud.

Anonymous

>cannot handle dissenting opinions
          >throws a tantrum and insists that the person he disagrees with must leave his presence
          Weak

Anonymous

>>cannot handle dissenting opinions
            You used to get burned at the stake for being the wrong kind of Christian

Anonymous

>I’m so freaking tired of this 2+2=4 meme. Go back to r3ddit you freaking chud.

Anonymous

If you actually believe the good times=weak men/bad times=strong men meme and you’re not in middle school then you are terminally scrotebrained

Anonymous

>If you actually believe the 2+2=4 meme and you’re not in middle school then you are terminally scrotebrained

Anonymous

>heh, your thesis is no match for my impeccable shitposting

Anonymous

>thesis
                  Having a very high opinion of ourselves, do we?
                  Your "thesis" is that you’re tired of an obvious truth.

Anonymous

>obvious truth
                    Everything seems obvious when you’re too scrotebrained to see the true natire of the world

Anonymous

It hurts the first few time. After that you’ll have enough hearing loss to tolerate it.

Anonymous

Most of them just went deaf or hard of hearing. My grandfather was a heavy machine gunner with the 2nd infantry division during world war 2 and he had to get a hearing aid when he was in his 50’s and he was still almost completely deaf in his left ear.

Anonymous

Same for mine. Anti-aircraft battalion attached to 84th infantry.

Anonymous

they would have permanent hearing loss or outright deafness.
      You ever wonder why old military boomers (especially infantryman) are so freaking loud? It’s because they ran around with no hearing protection shooting guns inside closed rooms while yelling and screaming, they can’t hear shit

Anonymous

The adrenaline probably helps.

The only time I don’t wear hearing protection is when I’m hunting and while I hear the shot I’ve got so much else running through my mind it doesn’t affect me too much.

Anonymous

You should still protect your hearing when shooting while hunting. Don’t ignore this, Anon. It is still hurting you.

Anonymous

If I wore hearing protection while hunting I would never get any squirrels.

Anonymous

What about a silencer? Can’t you put earmuffs on just for the shots? I’m serious, don’t neglect your health, Anon.

Anonymous

You don’t need ear pro for a .22 and if you’re hunting squirrels with anything bigger than a .22 then you’re doing it wrong

Anonymous

>I don’t wear plugs when I fire one single shot while hunting.

Uh huh. Ever been to an actual range?

Anonymous

You get used to it. I know a guy in the military who said he’s used to sleeping next to someone firing an AK 5 (5.56mm rounds).

Anonymous

You know, some job destroys your body, like my father lifting bags of gravel and sand for 20 years got his back destroyed.

You just do it because that’s your job, it’s hard to understand for a NEET who never lifted a finger or started a family in his whole life.

Anonymous

>i have to fuck myself up completely because thats my job heh you kids today should be ashamed to not be like me!
        Fascinating wagie, by all means…continue.

Anonymous

Huh?

Anonymous

Back then, you grew up around guns. Everyone was shooting all the time and seldom had ear protection. The sound of gunfire was commonplace so you were just used to it.
      Like myself for instance. I’ve been shooting since I was 8 at least once a week. Joining the military I had no issues at all with sound, but some city dwellers would lose their minds.
      All in all, it’s really just the environment you’re in that determines how affected you’ll be by the sound of gunfire.

Anonymous

yes, but it will still phsycially damage your hearing

Anonymous

Hearing damage was the least of a soldiers concern back then. We’re talking about a time when you were lucky if you came home from war with all of your arms and legs intact. A little ear ring wasn’t a big deal.

If you were shooting as a child without earpro then your parents are scrotebrained

Naw, thankfully I grew up in a time when hearing protection was commonplace, but think about all the kids in the past who grew up shooting black powder rifles without it. It just backs my point more that people were just used to these loud noises back then because guns weren’t some scary thing that only the army had, but a tool that got everyone through life.

Anonymous

If you were shooting as a child without earpro then your parents are scrotebrained

Anonymous

>got used to it
      That isn’t how it works. You just grow progressively more deaf until your hearing is fully ruined.

Anonymous

The same goes for playing in a rock band. No big deal.

Anonymous

You get used to it, and you do lose hearing.
      And thats sporadic fire in open country.
      Those close battles with artillery in citys I don’t even know. I can’t even wrap my head around something like stalingrad, most those guys had to have been almost mad with the explosions and the dust and machine gun fire in a wrecked city, it must have been insane.

Anonymous

>wearing double layers of ear protection
      >for a glock
      wew

Anonymous

am LULZ. they didn’t. there’s a reason most vets even in the modern day have hearing damage. often a choice between "keep some of my hearing" or "lose my hearing later but be able to hear when someone screams GRENADE or something". this is an obvious choice. active hearing protection is very new. however, to my understanding it will be becoming more common in american combat zones in the years to follow as hearing loss becomes a more talked-about issue. this is also why the NGSW requires a suppressor. hope i helped.

Anonymous

>there’s a reason most vets even in the modern day have hearing damage.
        Yeah because 3M makes shitty earplugs. Fuck I wasn’t even an MOS that was out on the field and I know how bad those things are.

Anonymous

Goddamn, OP is the kind of freaking pansy who starts reeing and plugging his ears when someone uses a freaking hacksaw near him. Go find yourself a nice padded cell to live in.

Anonymous

>t.deafscrote

Anonymous

You get used to it, pussy.

My daughter is 10 years old and doesn’t bitch about spending an entire day shooting guns. What a joke of a thread, please refrain from posting about war from now on.

Anonymous

>shooting guns on a cucked range is the same as firing at other people in pitched battle
        You’re a scrote and so is your daughter

Anonymous

she will go deaf

Anonymous

Lol your daughter is going to be deaf at a young age and it’s going to be your fault

Anonymous

I read somewhere (probably LULZ) that old school machine gunners yelling while firing was actually a practical thing because somehow having your jaw open helps prevent war drum damage. No idea how true that is though.

Anonymous

>that old school machine gunners yelling while firing was actually a practical thing because somehow having your jaw open helps prevent war drum damage. No idea how true that is though.

yea it’s true, not just for machine guns though, it was mostly for when you’re getting shelled byartillery. the supposed science behind covering your ears and yelling is that you’re equalizing air pressure in your ENT cavities.

Anonymous

WHAT DID YOU SAY??

Anonymous

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anonymous

You either go crazy or get used to it.

Anonymous

>I went shooting for the first time recently and was shocked by how incredibly loud even a glock was while wearing double layers of ear protection

What the fuck is wrong with your ears?

Anonymous

idk it was loud but bearable. halfway through, i took out the foam for a few minutes and then put it back in but it felt like things were much louder after and it felt like some shots made some weird cracking sound in my ear so now im paranoid about ear protection. even the 22 sounded loud at that point

Anonymous

The breaking of sound barrier causes a loud sound by itself, nevermind the gases. Any super-sonic round would sound roughly the same.

Anonymous

ah so i just watched a few videos on super sonic bullets and that was the sound i heard. glad that it wasnt my ears getting damaged

Anonymous

What ear protection were you using? Because I use a Pro Ears Pro Tac 300 and have never had this problem.

Anonymous

these earmuffs from harbor freight. online it says it has 23 db reduction. also, i used these foam thingies that the range handed out underneath the earmuffs

Anonymous

they had overcome it… by becoming deaf

Anonymous

When there’s a lot of guns pointed at you the problem of a loud bang doesn’t seem to concern you as much

Anonymous

dad was an avid shooter of military weapons in his youth and always shouted and couldnt control the volume of his voice.
      so by becoming deaf i suppose

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.