Has there ever been an unbroken series of unquestionably good kings from the same line?

Home Forums History Has there ever been an unbroken series of unquestionably good kings from the same line?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

In any monarchy worldwide, has there ever been a series of at least 3 kings who were unquestionably good?

Anonymous

>5 Good Emperors of Rome.
      >The 3 Great Emperors of the Qing Dynasty.

Anonymous

>two examples in some of the longest living monarchies ever
        >best series of Roman leaders were all elected/adopted due to merit rather than birth.

Anonymous

>goalpost moving

Anonymous

Qianlong was not unquestionably good. His fabled ‘Ten Campaigns’ include one entirely unecessary one against an obscure hill tribe that cost more than the entire revenue of China. His corrupt favourite was found in the next reign to have gold in his house worth 15 times the annual revenue. He left the treasury empty for his son.

Anonymous

It depends on what certain people consider "good". Those Roman emperors, Trajan especially, had a lot of people butchered and enslaved.

Anonymous

The 5 good emperors are all overrated and directly caused the crisis of the third century

Anonymous

Alfred the Great, Edward the Elder, Aethelstan.
          Phillip Augustus, Louis the Lion, Louis the Saint
          That’s only for England and France, there are swathes more, why do you act as if 3 generations of good monarchs is so uncanny.

The Severans are who bonked it all up.

Anonymous

The only good Qing emperors were Kangxi and Qianlong, and Qianlong got fat and corrupt near the end of his reign and did nothing to prepare China for the coming of the West.

Anonymous

France’s had multiple successions of good kings

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Did the Kinslaying weaken the state or just his personal affairs? I know nothing of him

Anonymous

He was succeed by Basil II so I guess not, but its still not good.
            Still it brought instability and he was lucky Basil was so strong of a ruler.

Anonymous

Henry IV, Louis XIII, Louis XIV

Or Philippe Auguste, Louis VIII, Louis IX (arguably the whole range from Louis VII to Philippe III was good).

Anonymous

Henry IV never ruled france

Anonymous

Care to elaborate?
              It’s not because Sully did 90% of the work that the king didn’t have a final say.

Anonymous

Tried looking through my own states history, Brandenburg.
      At most you can find two good kings in succession and maybe a normal one for the Hohenzollern days.
      The normal one sometimes just turns out to be a bit too indulging with spending but still. The guy before the soldier king was rather meh in his spending.
      The Askanier had a pretty good record, basically the first three guys ruling over Brandenburg ruled and expanded it well. Although that period is again so far back that we probably just know too little about their fuckups or just know from them through their acts in building up the country.
      Also not technically a king yet but let’s not be picky about titles.

Anonymous

First 3 Komnemnos

Anonymous

Yeah
      They are Emperor/Basileus

Basil 2/Nikephoros Phocas/John Tzimiskes

Anonymous

In any democracy worldwide, has there ever been a series of at least 3 elected heads of government who were unquestionably good?

Anonymous

Good by what metric?

Anonymous

This. Some idiots on this thread think a complete egomaniac like Louis XIV would be a good king. Famous, yes, not good. Good king would be one wise, virtuous and ruled for the benefit of his people. The vast majority of kings in history are nothing more than pompus tyrants, if we want to call them what they really are.

Anonymous

For all his faults Louis XIV was actually a good king. He managed to stabilise the country’s governance system in an extremely cunning way, saw the value of overseas colonies and selected extremely capable ministers. Trying (and partly managing) to break the Habsburg encirclement was also a less petty long term investment than it seems.

Had Louis XV been less of a failure, Louis XIV would probably be remembered as a great monarch, a bit like Heraclius had the arab invasions not happened.

Anonymous

>Louis XIV would probably be remembered as a great monarch

He is, or at least he would be if waging wars was still seen as a positive instead of a negative.

Anonymous

You need to be scrotebrained to think Louis XIV was a bad king.

Anonymous

For me "good king" has a much more grandiose meaning than being a capable administrator. To be a good king for me, you need to be more than a map painter.

Anonymous

>Some idiots on this thread think a complete egomaniac like Louis XIV would be a good king.
            Louis XIV was the best king France had since the middle ages, and I will not let him be slandered.

Anonymous

Google "Pendulm Effect"

Anonymous

Mao, Deng, Frogface, Jintao, Jiping

Anonymous

FDR
        Truman
        Eisenhower

Anonymous

… yes, actually. You also had Kennedy and LBJ right after Ike. Not that big of a fan of the Vietnam bullshit, but otherwise those two weren’t bad either.

Anonymous

i miss being white

Anonymous

Literally all 3 sucked though

Anonymous

It wasn’t really democratic, but all US Presidents until Harrison/Tyler were good

Anonymous

De Gaulle
        Pompidour
        D’Estaign

Anonymous

The first 8 presidents of the US were pretty great, outside Polk and McKinley, the remaining 36 have been questionable

Anonymous

where they pretty great or was leading america back then just impossible to fuck up?

Anonymous

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

>the trilogy that should have ended but got bought out by some multi-billion-dollar company to make endless sequels

Anonymous

McKinley-Roosevelt-Taft-Wilson were all great presieents in their own respects.

Anonymous

Democracy doesn’t advertise itself as being good, just “good enough”

I can argue that large strings of leaders in many countries have been “ok” which is sometimes better than having two great and one terrible monarch.

Anonymous

It’s not necessarily good enough, just stable. It’s a reflection of the nation itself.
          For example, in a dead and decaying civilization such as our own, we can only ever expect dead and decaying leaders (i.e. Joe Biden).
          A dictator, on the other hand, can rise above the decadence and corruption in a way that an elected official simply cannot.

Anonymous

I agree, but the issue with dictatorship is always succession
            Few dictators have ever managed to handle it well, even Caesar got lucky that his chosen namesake was so capable, and even then he had nothing really set in place to enable a new government.

Compare that to someone like Mao who was able to sweep the field not once but multiple times in order to ensure there would be no bickering after he was gone.

Anonymous

That’s where the sword of Damocles comes into play.
              The list of notable dictators is self-sorting because, in general, incompetent leaders are unable to hold on to power long enough to do much harm.

Anonymous

But what happens when the dictator dies?

Another good question would be how many dictators have been succeeded by an era of peace and continuation of the government (and were not assassinated)?
                From what I can recall, maybe Sulla, Franco, Mao, Stalin, chang kai shek, Kim Il Sung, Mugabe,

Anonymous

Has there ever been a single head of state in history who was unquestionably good?

Anonymous

Yeah, many. Saint Justinian, Bismarck, Stalin, Charlemagne, Richelieu, FD Roosevelt, Cao Cao, Napoleon, Caesar, Charles de Gaulle, Ghaddafi,…

Anonymous

Caesar Agustus

Anonymous

Edward, Elizabeth, James

Anonymous

Elizabeth being an unquestionably good queen is a hot take.
        Her killing the Queen of Scots is one of her most remembered actions

Anonymous

No such thing as unquestionably good. Don’t believe in such things and accept the reality of harsh pragmatism and despotism that is your world.

Anonymous

unquestionably good = the reign was a net positive to its nation. plenty of clear examples of this

Anonymous

As far as serving the Mongols, would Genghis and his successors through Kublai count?

Anonymous

Portugal:
      >D. Afonso III
      >D. Dinis
      >D. Afonso IV
      The tfirst three kings were also all good

Anonymous

george v, george vi, elizabeth ii

Anonymous

Harald V of Norway
      Olav V of Norway
      Haakon VII of Norway

easy

Anonymous

Pepin of Herstal – Charles Martel – Pepin the Short – Charlemagne

Nikephoros Phokas – John Tsimiskes – Basil II

Philippe Auguste – Louis the Lion – St. Louis

Anonymous

>Pepin of Herstal – Charles Martel
        Not kings

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Harun al-Rashid, Al-Ma’mun, Al-Mu’tasim

Anonymous

>Al-Mu’tasim
        no

Anonymous

henry the fowler
      otto I
      otto II

Anonymous

Otto 2 is seen negatively in german history.
        There are even famous poems talking shit about the poor guy.

Anonymous

>Gustav II Adolf
      >Karl X Gustav
      >Karl XI

Anonymous

Alexios Komnenos, John Komnenos, Manuel Komnenos

Anonymous

But I thought kings were representant of God on earth, what did monerchyscrotes mean by this? Aren’t all kings good by definition? Are you telling me they are just regular men who can be good or bad? Why are they kings then?

Anonymous

just because they’re representatives of god doesnt mean they’re good representatives of god.
        they’re kings for reasons other than the expectation of perfection. when the world was run by philosophers and warriors, they aspired to different goals.
        presidents do nothing for a few years and then run off with the country’s money. they’re most celebrated and memorable when they act like kings. see FDR, Abraham Lincoln, and Obama.

Anonymous

I’m more of a dictator man myself. People like Napoleon, Caesar or Hitler are the only legitimate rulers in my eyes. In order to have power you should be able to seize it, and do something with it. I still don’t understand how your scrotebrained hereditary system is any better than democracy.

Anonymous

i’m not a monarchist, i’m just defending it because your reasons for disliking it are dishonest and fallacious.

Anonymous

Not what you asked, but it’s surprisingly common in history to have a great king, followed by an okay king, followed by a terrible king. Like,
      >Louis IX -> Philip III -> Philip IV
      >Henry II -> Richard I -> John
      >Ivan III -> Vasily III -> Ivan IV
      And so on.

Anonymous

Liuva I, Liuvigild, Reccared I
      Chindasuinth, Recceswinth, Wamba

Anonymous

Rome has never had a bad emperor, only a bad republican leader (consulcucks).

Türk

Ottoman empire
      Mehmet I
      Murad II
      Mehmet II
      Bayezid II
      Selim I
      Suleiman I

Anonymous

Mary
      Elizabeth
      James

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.