Has anyone stayed in a Couchsurfing place? What is it like?

Home Forums General & Off-topic Has anyone stayed in a Couchsurfing place? What is it like?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What’s it like? Share your experiences

Anonymous

my friend had a sweet penthouse apartment in Saigon, he kept one bedroom open at all times for couchsurfing and would exclusively host beautiful girls. fun times.

Anonymous

I wonder what the method of payment was.

Did he actually get any poon?

Anonymous

how much would a property like that cost in 3rd world countries?

Anonymous

tree fiddy

Anonymous

I gently caressed a bunch of euro girls off couch surfing. Once they are there you can take them to the club. They have no friends and they are staying at your place so win/win.

Anonymous

Lmao, this has got to be one of the most creative ways to get easy punani that I’ve heard of.

Anonymous

It wasn’t my plan. I just realized a pattern. I still let dudes hang at my place if they were cool but recently couch surfing has really died. I don’t know what happened (obviously I am talking about before the pandemic).

Anonymous

Because its not instsgramable … People would rather go 5* to Asia once every year for the insta shots rather than spending a couple of months backpacking around Europe couch surfing.
            Zoomers are mostly gently caressing aids

Anonymous

Is that what killed it? I just noticed a lot less people using it in recent years. I thought people were using it cause we poor as gently caress not cause of instramwhoring. Where my couchbros at?

Anonymous

Its the only thing I can see that’s changed. Millennial were happy to "rough it" for longer travels, id always take a month couch surfing than a week in a hotel but zoomers are the opposite, its all about the gram and they just want to show the fantasy lifestyle that they’re temporarily living, very much black mentality.

Anonymous

fucking idiot this is not true at all, have you even met zoomers. They arent all the same, a lot of them dont even have social media.

Anonymous

Of course they’re not all the same retard it’s a generalisation and one that’s pretty fair.
                    Starting with millennials kids have been getting softer and softer, not playing out as much, living at home longer, being more and more socially awkward, all this has lead to a change in the way people travel. Backpacking is now looked at something your dad did and the zoomers just want to go to 5* resorts and Instagram it.
                    Pathetic imo

Anonymous

You’re talking about the vocal minority of travelers, the silent majority never liked couchsurfing to begin with. The people that don’t give a shit about showing off traveling to other people are also generally introverts/culturally opposed to staying in someone else’s house/scared of a possible bad host and would always rather spend $13 a day at a hotel in a tropical shithole than the people you’re talking about, who spend nothing on rent and $60 a day on expensive restaurants and travel in Europe

Anonymous

I thought the actual couchsurfing website died, didn’t it?

Anonymous

Beginning of this year, right when the pandemic hit, the company running Couchsurfing decided to paywall the website, at least for "rich" (i.e. Western) countries. Thus, even senior members who’ve built the community over many years had to pay a monthly fee just to access the website. And that right at the start of the lockdown when people where (1) not thinking of traveling and (2) often in a economically insecure position. The whole thing was the last of multiple poor decisions the company made rendering the platform less and less attractive. I believe that played a big role in the decline of CS.

Anonymous

There are multiple alternatives, BeWelcome, Trustroots, Warmshowers, … None of them have the huge active userbase that CS used to have, though.

Anonymous

What I think might have killed it is all the gay nudist creeps and guys trying to hit on female couchsurfers

Anonymous

you gently caressed your palm making up that bullshit

Anonymous

Couchsurfed in Turkey, Netherlands and Germany and hosted a guy from Russia
      Use the hangouts feature pretty often too
      The others in this thread are right though it is dying

Anonymous

It’s dying because some investors bought it and they’re trying to squeeze every penny out of it.
      Back than it was for free, now its not even that anymore.

Real bummer cause it really was a cool thing.

Anonymous

Can you rent an Airbnb for 1 month, stay there, and then allow couch surfing guests provided max guests is 4-6?

Anonymous

Yeah I did, OP. I backpacked through Europe when I was 20, so 10 years ago. Stayed at a few places in Amsterdam and Munich, I’m an Aussie, was pretty good.

Anonymous

>Couchsurfing-party-Spain-©KettiWilhelm2019-1.jpg

Was that pic really taken in 2019? It looks like it was taken in late 90’s early 2000’s

Anonymous

I had a series of bad experiences.
      Would not recommend.

Anonymous

I’ve used it to travel to different countries and always had positive experiences. Before Corona I’ve also hosted people a couple times a year which is also cool, but you need to vet people in order to not get guests who treat you like a free hostel.

Anonymous

How did you vet people?
        What ddo you consider the red flags?

Anonymous

A couple of positive references, esp. when the guests are also hosts at their home, are a good sign. I’ve usually only hosted people who already had good references (with one exception where the requesting person seemed really nice). Otherwise you can usually get a vibe from the people when you’re writing on the app. If someone only writes very short, minimal effort messages or obviously copy-pasted ones, that would usually be a red flag – if they don’t put effort into writing, then they’ll probably also won’t put effort into being good guests.
          Additionally, I’ve met my guests usually somewhere outside, e.g. I picked them up at a station. Thereby, if there’s something obviously wrong in the first face-to-face meeting, I could still bail and just tell them to get a bed in a hostel. Luckily, I’ve never had to do that.

Anonymous

Thx I was considering signing up for that before corona came, I will try to remember this when i get my own place again

>how to vet
            just avoid diverse folk

But i wanna chill with BASED black travelers

Anonymous

>how to vet
          just avoid diverse folk

Anonymous

traveled all around in it, you gotta know how to pick hosts.

70% is old or boring lonely people who want to talk your ears off
      20% is gays looking for hookups
      10% is cool people who just wanna meet other cultures, make parties more fun etc, pick them

Anonymous

so the website got bought out, started charging and shut down.

why doesnt someone just make a new Couchsurfing site?

Anonymous

CS is not shut down. Its functional

Anonymous

I heard it went tits up

Anonymous

Check out Trustroots. Some interesting characters there, but I found it to be better than CS

Anonymous

The main point to couchsurfing is having a local right off the bat to kind of show you around, right?

I’ve never really couchsurfed with anyone I’ve randomly contacted on the internet, but I do like visiting the people/other tourists I meet on trips, this way you know them beforehand. Just stay in a hostel a handful of times and you’re set.

You’ll also end up in the most random, sometimes obscure, places and cities, which is exactly what I’m into.

Anonymous

No, the main point of couchsurfing is either gay hookups, scoring weed or poorfags/hippies too cheap to pay $15/night for a hostel.

Anonymous

I’d rather just be the bitter old man alone tbh, nobody talks to me and I talk to no one

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.