Anonymous

Is that a black bogdanoff in the back

Anonymous

nigdanog

Anonymous

>He bought?
          >Steal eet

Anonymous

I never understood why this even got off the ground.
      They wanted to ship this to countries that didn’t even have electricity or running water, and initially offered a handcrank charger to power it.
      Hand-cranking isn’t free, you need to expend energy derived from the little food you get to power your dumbass laptop, and this is much better used elsewhere to ensure your continued survival than wasted in a classroom.

Anonymous

It was a money laundering scheme.

Anonymous

Probably because people in the US were excited about the technology, for example:
        >designed for mesh networking out of the box
        >LCD can go into a reflective monochrome mode where it uses 1/10 as much power, doesn’t need a back light, and is readable in direct sunlight

Anonymous

https://i.4cdn.org/g/1632982329102.webm

Foreign aid that doesn’t involve physical direct interaction with the locals primarily exists to make upper middle class westeners feel like they are sharing some of their privileged existence, freeing them from the burden of knowing that though they are some of the wealthiest, best educated, most privileged people in existence, they still suck garden gnome cock and they like it.

I actually saw a lot of this stuff in college where people were working on some high tech solution for people in shithole countries. But the people in those countries don’t care. Moreover, they don’t even want it. When the tech gets brought over and shown to the natives, it barely works for a few months before it gets abandoned. They have no desire to learn, maintain, or benefit from it. They just don’t want to deal with the western bullshit.

Anonymous

Is that why they eat the seeds and refuse to learn to farm so they can sustain their inflated population naturally and without constant gibs from developed nations?

w7-890

(is this real footage from bell dephine)
          NOO WHYY you could have donated those macbooks to rural filipino areas (every year i see broken sofas on the trashbin in my building why are chinks so wasteful)

What the fuck is that?
          What the fuck is a glowie?

man i saw an android 4.0 laptop on shopee which looks like that

w7-890

found the image https://archive.is/JOCa7

im a newscrote but why does LULZ keep buying vintage low end thinkpads sorry if i haven’t asked this earlier (a second handed modern lenovo PC is more understandable)

Anonymous

>tripscrote is a newscrote
              lurk more before you get a trip

Anonymous

starving african children could have eaten that booty

Anonymous

That’s why it failed, it was only successful in a few countries in Latin America, which despite being poor they weren’t destitute and still had access to electricity to run the things, teachers to guide activities, internet to access more information, etc. The marketing for the OLPC made it sounds like the’d air drop them in villages in the middle of Africa and the kids who barely had food would turn into geniuses and lift everyone else out of poverty.

Anonymous

wtf is that. intel atom ben 10 edition?

Anonymous

It’s the one laptop per child idea that was a massive scam to move money around. Most laptops were never shipped, the ones that were didn’t work or weren’t in the correct language, most were stolen and sold for parts, etc.

The idea was a PR stunt by SV and a way to avoid extra taxes around 2008, there is a big documentary on the failure and shady business around it somewhere on youtube

Anonymous

PLEASE more info

Anonymous

Google ffs
            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child
            > woke af in Miami.
            Scam city, checks out.

Anonymous

>send laptop to country where kids can’t eat
            >take it to pawn shop for being sold
            >least I can eat with this
            >laptop torn down to resell the parts for profit

Anonymous

But hey, at least we got netbooks out of this whole mess.
          I like my ASUS EEE.

Anonymous

PLEASE more info

Not that anon but I think I saw a few of OLPC being sold in sout east asia online shops long time ago. I’m tempted to get one assuming it has a really foss bios or something I’ve heard of about but not sure if it really does have it

Didn’t Stallman use one of these for a while, because the BIOS was FOSS or something?

I think it came shipped with linux too and I’ve only seen a few demo about it being used where it runs some learning distro.

Anonymous

yea it runs linux with a unique graphical environment called sugar

Anonymous

I saw a commercial before about it but it’s kinda edited, the laptop can 180 and turn into a tablet and has a two antenna flappers on the green thing. Sugar is still in the arch repo and you’re right but there’s another learning distro that looked like ubuntu but I think that’s another laptop.

It ‘runs’ linux yes but it’s so underpowered it’s not worth it, you’re better of in costs and time buying a pinebook

The point is the case/screen/batt and keyboard are probably worth if I plan on replacing it with a portable and more powerful sbc. I’ll look for it. As far as I remember the specs was that it’s a quad core but it’s probably not bad if used with a router OS considering if the rumor about the bios being "free as in lemote yeeloong" bios which is ryf fsf.

I never understood why this even got off the ground.
              They wanted to ship this to countries that didn’t even have electricity or running water, and initially offered a handcrank charger to power it.
              Hand-cranking isn’t free, you need to expend energy derived from the little food you get to power your dumbass laptop, and this is much better used elsewhere to ensure your continued survival than wasted in a classroom.

Most likely that these were stolen by middle men (volunteers who distribute the goods) when the laptop went over to such countries.

Anonymous

>As far as I remember the specs was that it’s a quad core
                XO-4 has a dual-core ARM CPU clocked at 1 GHz, and older machines are even weaker.

Anonymous

Even the original can run emacs and gcc, it’s not so bad. Maybe modern cucks who need Gnome and System D can’t cope but it’s functional. Also the screen it extremely nice.

Anonymous

>Also the screen it extremely nice.
                    You keep saying this without a source, this is also a freaking 10+ year old machine. It wouldn’t surprise me if the screens are shit due to improper storage.

Just go on aliexpress and search child PC sort by cheapest.

Anonymous

>without a source
                      I own one you fuckin’ chud.

Anonymous

Pics out or gtfo

Anonymous

>he wants me to go downstairs and rummage through my shit and haul it out and take a pic of it at night so that he can see i own one
                        no, but if you don’t know they used a unique type of display known as pixel qi which was both capable of backlit color for indoors / low light use and trans-reflective greyscale which was usable in full sun

look it up, they made these displays then quit and never made them again even though they have e-ink type smoothness

Anonymous

i’ve heard about the display, and would love to see how they look in real life
                        makes me wonder why we don’t have more dual purpose displays like that, surely some people would like to be able to do some greyscale word processing outdoors with fuck all battery usage because no useless backlight needed?

Anonymous

Thing was you could make this enhanced display on normal LCD assembly lines with only super minor modifications but they abandoned the tech.

I don’t know of any other device except the OLPC XO-1 or 1.5 which used it.

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

there were two "real" OLPCs, the 1.0 and the 1.5, the rest didn’t support many of the features such as transparent server and mesh

the next best thing for mesh is BATMAN and ROBIN

Anonymous

>called sugar
              for sugar babies

Anonymous

It ‘runs’ linux yes but it’s so underpowered it’s not worth it, you’re better of in costs and time buying a pinebook

Anonymous

It runs linux, yes, but its CPU is a 433 MHz AMD Geode. It’s useless nowadays, even the original ASUS EEE 701 is more powerful than this.
            Can’t even use it for retrogaming due to lack of drivers.

Anonymous

oh you have one? nice
              maybe it could serve as a router os

Anonymous

even for a router that’s a slow cpu, maybe if you have adsl internet it’d be ok

Anonymous

It’s powerful enough for what it is. Also routers much slower can handle much higher traffic than what you have in mind. An ancient CSU/DSU running at 8 MHz with 2 MB RAM can do T3 speeds.

Anonymous

>An ancient CSU/DSU running at 8 MHz with 2 MB RAM can do T3 speeds.
                    if it has appropriate hardware offloading so the cpu doesn’t need to touch the packets, sure, i imagine you’d need to be using usb ethernet adapters on this thing

Anonymous

It has built in wifi which was needed to support the transparent mesh networking. See it used a store and forward protocol so if a kid walked into school all "outstanding" packets would be offloaded and all delivered packets would be marked received, that way you could support a whole large area with only local roaming connections, it uses a large buffer for this so you could, as some kid, issue a wget for a large file, never make it near an Internet connection, but your neighbor goes to town and the request is delivered and handled on his machine in its idle time, then when he gets home your download arrives.

Anonymous

Well, at least SimCity became 100% free and open-source software thanks to One Laptop Per Child.

Anonymous

I have one, the screen is excellent.

Anonymous

>low powered shitbox shipped to 3rd world shitholes
      Glowies love something that will inevitably become infected with malware for botnets and email spamming, so no they actually quite like that sort of thing.

Anonymous

it ran a customized linux OS so unlikely, the original basically ran something similar to DSL.
        http://one.laptop.org/about/specs
        The "new" specs

PLEASE more info

https://www.bu.edu/writingprogram/journal/past-issues/issue-3/shah/

Just YouTube OLPC failure, but that’s the tldr. Basically 150 MILLION, yes million laptops were to be shipped to poor countries to educate kids only about 400k ever shipped and all the donation money went into the wind.

Anonymous

thanks!

Anonymous

It ran fedora you scrotebrain.

Anonymous

The revision ran Fedora, not the original. People here are talking about the "dude the revision specs look good". The original was a barely functional piece of shit that was tossed for a reason.

Anonymous

Yes the XO-1 runs Fedora with the Sugar desktop environment. You can even download the latest version of Fedora with that DE:
              > https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/soas/

Anonymous

SOVL

Anonymous

Like you could have at least looked it up scrotebrain.

Anonymous

Didn’t Stallman use one of these for a while, because the BIOS was FOSS or something?

Anonymous

IIRC he used it to show that it could be used by individuals, not really for any other reason other than to be a PR for a company that was insanely shady.

Anonymous

He just used one for a bit and then got mad when they decided to make it Windows compatible.
        https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

Anonymous

He was angry that they were gonna go with pre-installing windows XP on it, eliminating any reason to keep supporting OLPC

Anonymous

No he just disliked the shitty fuckin’ keyboard.

Anonymous

No he literally disliked the color of it

Anonymous

it has the worst keyboard of any computer of all time though

Anonymous

The company was run as a front by the glowscrotes, and the laptops were made so they could use mesh networking deniably in hot areas.

Are you all so dumb that you couldn’t figure this out?

Anonymous

yes because its so scary and earthshaking that NO ONE HAS ONE

Anonymous

>extremely rare glow-proof computer
        >can’t find one
        hmmmm

Anonymous

>make pc for 3rd worlders for $100
      >ends up being more expensive
      >refurbished donated laptops are better and cost only on average $50 to fix
      >years later most 3rd worlders get semi-old smartphones by the truckload
      KWAB

Anonymous

bear computer

Anonymous

bear computer

Anonymous

Oh and the XO1 and XO1.5 both abused wifi and bonked with routers badly. They were strictly complaint with b but when n came out they would gum up the network. There is a more technical explanation online somewhere.

Anonymous

I remember really liking the idea of this back in the day. Shame it didn’t pan out.

Anonymous

What the fuck is that?
      What the fuck is a glowie?

Anonymous

>What the fuck is a glowie?

Anonymous

XO-2 when?

Anonymous

They already made it and discontinued it.

Anonymous

>barely fast enough for web when new

Anonymous

the web has gotten WAY chonkier since then
        not that it was ever designed to browse the internet

Anonymous

not to be a complete zoomer but theres only so much fun you can have with a linux terminal and literally 0 grunt
          pic rel is literally almost twice as fast as a xo-1 but theres only so much I can so with it

Anonymous

worst case you can just use it as a terminal for another machine
            like for example you could run a gnu chroot on your android phone, then use the XO as a vnc client over wifi

Anonymous

I mean youre not wrong infact that is probably the only way to use interesting but underpowered devices from <2010, but coming back to the topic of the treat isnt that basically using "backdoored glowie hardware"?

Anonymous

well if the reason for using it is for it’s apparently open architecture (i haven’t really looked into it), then this would defeat that purpose, yes
                i’m sure there’s some things you could fairly comfortably do on it still, besides web browsing, which would be quite restricted, it’s probably just barely enough to post on LULZ
                you’re going to have to be more patient with it, you’re probably not young enough to remember the early 2000’s or earlier where you didn’t really expect a computer to do something instantly
                super fast cpus and ssds have really spoiled us
                try running windows 7 from a hdd, even on otherwise modern hardware, and you’ll probably think something is broken, yet that’s what it was designed for
                you’re not going to have many options if you limit yourself to things which run fast

Anonymous

>apparently open architecture (i haven’t really looked into it),
                  its an old crusty 400-500 mhz amd whatever afaik?
                  >you’re going to have to be more patient with it, you’re probably not young enough to remember the early 2000’s or earlier where you didn’t really expect a computer to do something instantly
                  my man, read my replies, I am fully aware of the power of ultra portables from the mid 2000s and computers of the era. I own several umpcs from the era and I literally posted a pic of one of them. I semi frequently use the one I posted to stream youtube over mpv, spotify with spotifyd and play openttd. you do not have to tell me that any modern js will lockup these machines because Ive already been there with both my vaio p and my u810

Im just pointing out that OP being the larper he is, does not realize how horribly these devices have aged performance wise.

Anonymous

>its an old crusty 400-500 mhz amd whatever afaik?
                    not the cpu architecture, the whole system architecture, namely the firmware and whatever drivers are needed for its peripherals
                    the geode is a 32bit x86 SoC

i don’t mean to offend you either, modern websites are honestly one of the heaviest things an average person does on their computer, with the exception of games, websites have just gotten that bad

Anonymous

Do it the other way around, use it for everything but the stupid bloated modern web, just run ssh -X and run a web browser from another machine on your XO.

Anonymous

Will whipping this bad boy out at a cyber security interview get you the job?

Anonymous

Leapfrog?

Anonymous

where’s my hand crank

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id