Firefox now sends your address bar keystrokes to Mozilla

Home Forums Science & tech Firefox now sends your address bar keystrokes to Mozilla

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>Firefox n ow sends your address bar keystrokes to Mozilla
      >According to Mozilla, “Firefox Suggest acts as a trustworthy guide to the better web, surfacing relevant information and sites to help people accomplish their goals.”
      How do the trannies keep getting away with it? Are they better programmers than we thought?

Anonymous
        Anonymous

What if I only type the first letter and autocomplete fills out the rest? Do they get this too? I think the last time I manually entered an URL was like in 2001.

Anonymous

I feel like mozilla is deliberately sabotaging themselves at this point, probably at the behest of garden gnomegle.

Anonymous

OP is shilling on Chrome’s behalf, but honestly you hardly need to with modern Mozilla the way they are.

Anonymous

>OP is shilling on Chrome’s behalf
          Mozilla is shilling on Chromes behalf and getting paid by Google a lot of money to do so.

Anonymous

Use waterfox or Vieb

Anonymous

>waterfox
            literal spyware owned by an ad company

Anonymous

This is an opt in "feature". You have to actively want to be scrotebrained. Sure its bloat but if you literally do nothing it doesn’t do anything either.

Anonymous

Basically ubuntu amazon fiasco all over agai-

It’s opt-in, OP is a scrotebrained scrote. All fields

Anonymous

>It’s opt-in
          It’s not, it is enable by default.

Anonymous

Enabled in the US by default. I really am losing patience with Firefox. About to take the Nyxt pill. Fuck Blink, though. I’d take Apple scroteKit over that at this point. God, I hate the antichrist.

Anonymous

qutebrowser still has the qtwebkit backend

Anonymous

Qtwebkit is no longer maintained, so I’ll stick with the maintained bindings. Qutebrowser now officially only supports Qtwebengine which is blink.

Anonymous

>dildo is optional, sure it’s glued to the browser, but you have to be actively scrotebrained to use it

Anonymous

Brave has opt-in telemetry yet you Eich garden gnome dick suckers will cope with it

Anonymous

>automatic dildoer, has a switch to turn it on, yet you will cope it’s main purpose is dildoing

Anonymous

historically doesn’t take long for thier opt-in’s to become "use it or use something else"

Anonymous
            Anonymous

oh yeah the slippery slope fallacy

Anonymous

>fallacy
              you best start believin’ in slippery slopes

Anonymous

>you best start believin’ in slippery slopes, you’re on one

Anonymous

>fallacy

Anonymous

go back to HN where you can lament your Le Long Covid symptoms

Anonymous

>fallacy
              all that means is it cant be used to make a logical deduction and thus isnt a knockdown argument
              only a brainlet thinks it means that there’s no possible connection in reality, or that it cant be used as evidence in an argument
              also technically a slippery slope is implying a causation without evidence, the more evidence you can provide, the less of a fallacy it is

Anonymous

holy freaking midwit take
              given a0 -> a1, a1 -> a2 etc etc etc all the way to an-1 -> an, a logical deduction is only a "slippery slope" if for some ai-1 -> ai there’s some sort of sufficient doubt of the likelihood of ai-1 occurring. to apply it blindly to all sequential forms of reasoning would bring up issues about what causation even is.

now from what i can tell from looking at the picture you’re responding to, it seems pretty clear that we’re already at trans incorporation. and you know for a fact that there’s currently a push for acceptance of pedos and bestiality. i think the only implication you could even take umbrage with is the acceptance of murder; which to be fair is probably only included in the graphic for satirical weight.

Anonymous

Opt in my freaking ass scrote, I just checked and it was enabled when I never got any prompt to install it. And this was an existing suggestion.

Man, FUCK. I wish I could just download a config file to reconfigure Firefox not to fuck my ass every update. Only reason I am using Firefox instead of Chromium is cause it has better adblocking performance with uBlock Origin.

Anonymous

>existing suggestion.
          existing installation

Anonymous

get Librewolf. Same shit but doesn’t make those bs changes

Anonymous

i’m on librewolf right now! just switched to it. are there any tips for better performance and less cpu usage? or is it just as bloated as regular firefox in terms of that

Anonymous

you don’t need an adblocker
          learn how to use umatrix and ur good going back to chromium

Anonymous

>firefox
          >performance
          kek

Anonymous

kek good to know that my version from four years ago, 56, is exactly as fast as the current version.

Anonymous

And this is the crux of the issue. Almost everyone uses Chrome/Webkit because it is a FASTER and BETTER browser. So why is Mozilla utilizing limited resources for UI redesigns and suggested ads that nobody wants when performance improvements are what they need to compete with Chrome?

Anonymous

because Mozilla doesn’t care about the success of Firefox, CEO just wants to pad her salary and milk the company for all it’s worth
              https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

Anonymous

Oh good another schizo neocities .

Anonymous

he may be a grade A schizo, but that article is actually one of his best and highlights everything wrong with mozilla

Anonymous

>Mozilla was sponsored by ProtonVPN

So should I drop Mullvad now that Mozilla is shilling them or what’s the deal?

w7-890

proton is a hunnyput dude just like nordVPN
                  no idea about mullvad though

>babuk locker will not infect nonprofits unless they support BLM and LGBT
                  i swear i will never install firefox again even on my VMs its literally worse than chrome at this point

Anonymous

Let’s be honest here – very few normalscrotes know what a benchmark is, and even fewer know the results mainstream browsers get.

Anonymous

I said adblocking performance YOU DUMB freaking CUNT. See:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-Origin-works-best-on-Firefox

FUCK YOU. You have the intelligence of a freaking monkey.

Anonymous

Didn’t understand pic related. Explain.

Anonymous

Technically the vax is "opt-in," but look how much pressure governments and companies apply for you to take the concoction. The feature should never have been implemented in the first place.

Anonymous

you can shove your american politics up your ass and die scrote, fuck off

Anonymous

American politics are the world’s politics. There is literally no nation on the planet that even matters anymore. In fact, when I look around, I’m not sure if I consider anyone outside of the United States to be a human being. Perhaps some of the British are alright, but maybe not.

Anonymous

It’s not just america you giga troglodyte.
            I had to check the vaxxpasses of 300 customers today, the amount of added workload is brutal and takes away from the already tightly packed scheduling.

Anonymous

You freaking mongrel scrotes, Firefox automatically enabled this after an update.

Anonymous

Are you sure, I just updated and checked firefox after and this was already selected?

Anonymous

that’s not it, those are the search suggestions provided by your search engine, which have existed since forever. This new feature is called exactly "Firefox Suggest" and it’s US-only for now.

Anonymous

It’s opt-out you dumb scrote

Anonymous

is it ok when google does this but mozilla not?

all telemetry just pretends to be opt in
        it’s just a shitty feature that makes it’s users feel bad

Anonymous

Also it takes development time that could’ve been spent actually improving the browser, like improving extension support or (re)adding customization options.

Anonymous

like really, just do what the big tech companies do which is make all the telemetry on and subtle. out of sight out of mind

maybe this is why they’re so into shilling rust, because they can’t compete with chrome as a browser anymore so they need something else

Anonymous

yeah same as Brave crypto wallet

Anonymous

firefox has already been doing this for years, but sending it to google instead. The vast majority of mozillas income comes from this.. from making google search the default search engine in the address bar

Anonymous

No it freaking is not. That shit got automatically set on mine. Use technology before you post about it.

Anonymous

as brave users like to say, you can literally disable ir

Anonymous

/thread.

Anonymous

heh

Anonymous

Librewolf is woke af. I’m using this right now.

i’m on librewolf right now! just switched to it. are there any tips for better performance and less cpu usage? or is it just as bloated as regular firefox in terms of that

>are there any tips for better performance and less cpu usage?
        As with original Firefox, you can set process limit to 1 which will drastically reduce memory usage and cpu usage but at the cost of snappiness/performance. Still very usable though.

Anonymous

>Librewolf
          >LibreWolf is always built from the latest Firefox stable source, for up-to-date security and features along with stability.
          Huh, wtf. I thought this would be one of those dumb Firefox forks woke af off a really old Firefox version.

Thanks man, I’m going to give it a try.

Anonymous

librewolf has terrible security and you’re trusting some literal who on gitlab to not fuck up the most critical piece of software on your system

Anonymous

>librewolf has terrible security
              no it doesn’t

>literal who on gitlab
              imagine shilling against community-woke af open source projects

kys

Anonymous

>no it doesn’t
                it has delayed security updates

>imagine shilling against community-woke af open source projects
                taking chudfox and repackaging it with some privacy settings + ublock is hardly a "community-woke af open source project"

>kys
                enjoy your malware

Anonymous

>it has delayed security updates
                  maidadan is a college dropout

>hardly a "community-woke af open source project"
                  it’s community woke af open source project

reminder community woke af open source projects have x100 better historical track record than private company woke af products

Anonymous

>maidadan is a college dropout
                    so was bill gates

>it’s community woke af open source project
                    it’s a bottom feeder project, they’re not contributing anything new or unique, 99.9999% of the work is mozilla

>+ ublock
                    so it’s safer than any browser which doesn’t have ublock

what does that even mean? you can add it on your own

Anonymous

>so was bill gates
                      maidadan is a broke larper, not a billionaire

>you can add it on your own
                      why are you adding a community woke af open source project to your private company browser? stick to your scrotebrained philosophy and use it barebones, it’s "safe" with all your "updates", coward scrote

Anonymous

>why are you adding a community woke af open source project to your private company browser? stick to your scrotebrained philosophy and use it barebones, it’s "safe" with all your "updates", coward scrote
                        cope

Anonymous

>they’re not contributing anything new or unique
                      Because any time someone forks Firefox, the community starts crying that "they are using an old Firefox fork, waaaaaaaaaahhhhh"

Anonymous

>it’s a bottom feeder project, they’re not contributing anything new or unique, 99.9999% of the work is mozilla
                      So they benefit from the firescrotes’ work while removing all the bad shit? Sounds pretty woke af to me.

Anonymous

>+ ublock
                  so it’s safer than any browser which doesn’t have ublock

Anonymous

>repackaging it with some privacy settings
                  Thing is, Firefox is enabling by default privacy violating features which is the point of this thread. I like the fact that LibreFox is double checking that and not letting that garbage come downstream to me.

Anonymous

>imagine shilling against community-woke af open source projects
                open source aint shit if the project doesnt have freedom in mind. i’d shill against shit like chromium all day
                but since librewolf is freedom respecting its cool

Anonymous

>the most critical piece of software on your system
              There are people who really believe a virus will escape out of their browser during normal usage in the year 2021 because they read a CVE they don’t understand and saw a lot of scary words like "remote", amazing

Anonymous

I use librewolf as well, but it’s it essentially just firefox with a tweaked defaults in the config? It’s still reliant on firefox in terms of updates and whatnot, and if firefox completely falls apart due to continued incompetence and irrelevancy, then where does that put us?

OP is shilling on Chrome’s behalf, but honestly you hardly need to with modern Mozilla the way they are.

Probably, but I think it’s a two pronged approach. Google probably pays mozilla to sabotage their browser from the inside out in order to further push toward a chrom(-ium) monopoly

Anonymous

Who would want to update past 89?

Anonymous

Who even asked for this feature? Or all the other BS they’ve put in Firefox lately.

Why not fix the memory leaks and shit that actually matters.

Anonymous

I am in 93 but I don’t see this option in my preferences page. Is there anyway to disable this shit from about:conifg?

Anonymous

#Firefox
      0.0.0.0 self-repair.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 snippets.cdn.mozilla.net
      0.0.0.0 install.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 activations.cdn.mozilla.net
      0.0.0.0 aus5.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 crash-stats.mozilla.com
      0.0.0.0 detectportal.firefox.com
      0.0.0.0 experiments.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 fhr.cdn.mozilla.net
      0.0.0.0 getpocket.cdn.mozilla.net
      0.0.0.0 incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 input.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 onyx_tiles.stage.mozaws.net
      0.0.0.0 qsurvey.mozilla.com
      0.0.0.0 search.services.mozilla.com
      0.0.0.0 self-repair.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 telemetry.mozilla.org
      0.0.0.0 telemetry-experiment.cdn.mozilla.net
      0.0.0.0 tiles.services.mozilla.com
      0.0.0.0 token.services.mozilla.com
      just block them in your hosts file

Anonymous

This doesn’t solve the problem, merely bypasses it. You want a software that does not try to constantly fuck you in the ass.

Anonymous

If you’re going to all these lengths just to use your browser, maybe you should just stop using it?

Anonymous

Those chud surgeries don’t pay for themselves. They need to turn Firefox into literal adware stat

Anonymous

Firefox is dilationware. Sure it’s free, but by using it you’re helping to pay for future-trannies front-wound dilations.

Anonymous

Fuck i really do have to switch browsers…. freaking chudfox globohomo it didnt have to be like this

Anonymous

I don’t wanna deal with this gay shit anymore, I’m moving to Brave.

Anonymous

so is someone going to be useful and post the about:config tweaks?

Anonymous

Fuck off, im trans and i hate sjw-operated mozilla, the new firefox, and shitty spyware as much as anyone else here, dont pin it on "trannies"

Anonymous

seethe chud you’ll never be a real woman lmfao

Anonymous

>t. lady maga

Anonymous

Questions for other librewolf users:
      How good is your browser?
      Is your browser compatible with a lot of firefox extensions(ublock, decentraleyes, etc)
      Does all the telemetry from firefox is disabled?
      How easy is too migrate(I want to take a lot of my content to the browser)?

Anonymous

>How good is your browser?
        it’s firefox without the botnet
        >Is your browser compatible with a lot of firefox extensions(ublock, decentraleyes, etc)
        yes
        >Does all the telemetry from firefox is disabled?
        yes
        >How easy is too migrate(I want to take a lot of my content to the browser)?
        from firefox, probably not hard

Anonymous

Sounds woke af. I will install rn

Anonymous

>getting away with it
      >Firefox is freaking dead
      Yeah right

Anonymous

so?

Anonymous

why librewolf over gnu icecat?

Anonymous

>gnu icecat
        They are woke af on Firefox ESR so a bit out of date. LibreWolf follows latest Firefox.

Anonymous

why librewolf over gnu icecat?

Also look at the LibreWolf source code… it’s not even source code but literally just scripts to patch the Firefox source code:

https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux

So, you get the benefits of privacy + the latest Firefox at the same time.

Anonymous

LibreWolf is fine, but realize that you can do the same thing with Firefox itself and a few minutes to tweak it (less if you automate it). Just remember that the other stuff that is good about Firefox, being the only FOSS noob to guru usable, extensible, browser developed by a non-profit foundation and with users’ interest in mind (ie uBlock origin and other ad blockers needed certain work arounds on Chromium powered browsers, but not on Firefox, all forms of filtering just worked) will get bonked over if they have such a low user base. All these forked versions or slightly patched shit can’t do enough to really develop the way Mozilla does – no hobby project can, seemingly. So use Librewolf or Icecat or whatever the fuck better than switching to something powered by Chromium but if you can just tweak Firefox to work for you or otherwise support the project somehow, its a good idea. Otherwise we’ll be in a world where Google is de-facto the only major browser engine around and thereby has control over the web and what standards to use, with nobody else able to do anything against their wishes or even make them adhere to standards any longer.

Anonymous

>Otherwise we’ll be in a world where Google is de-facto the only major browser engine around and thereby has control over the web and what standards to use, with nobody else able to do anything against their wishes or even make them adhere to standards any longer.
              yeah, that 3% and rapidly dropping marketshare is really going to make a difference, lmao

Anonymous

>support the project somehow, its a good idea. Otherwise we’ll be in a world where Google is de-facto the only major browser engine around and thereby has control over the web and what standards to use, with nobody else able to do anything against their wishes or even make them adhere to standards any longer.
              I used to think exactly like you which is why I was using Firefox. Until they started posting garbage like this on their blog:

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/fellow-research-decentralized-web-hate/

How can you say you are for decentralization when you want to centralize moderation?

I don’t give a fuck anymore. Firefox can’t exist without google money anyway. And all future PCs are going to ship with TPM which browsers are going to eventually tap into. Imagine a world where there is an SSL/DRM equivalent to browsing the web.

It’s coming and using your browser of choice isn’t going to stop it. You need to change it at an industry wide level since so many people are lobbying and shilling towards it. Only way you can stop this shit now is on the government level and governments have always favored situations where they can spy and control their citizens and devices since the dawn of time. i.g. PATRIOT/PRISM.

Anonymous

wtf

Anonymous

Yeah, I think that’s not what freaking Mozilla should be posting. Note that’s just some rando there reporting on shit from elsewhere, so it isn’t like that’s even a Mozilla project or anything. Its kind of like I didn’t like that one exec’s blog post but I could also realize what it was, a single blog post not a mission statement, policy, or internal procedure for development.

Yeah, I can chastise this kind of shit but put it in context. It doesn’t even say "centralizing moderation", look at the infographic for what it says to do – its mostly about preserving peer to peer tech while almost everything there is just sort of "if you want to make a safe space, do it" mentality, with the only overall questionable bit is the "impact points of centralization" which is of concern. Regardless all of this is a stupid blog post, not the crux of Mozilla much less Firefox

All that doomering will only hasten the arrival of bullshit. There are other alternatives – people are switching to Linux faster than ever because they’re tired of shit and Win11 may push even more, meanwhile the Linux experience is even better. People don’t want tolive in a world where TPM shit is necessary for everything and your PC is treated like a freaking console and banned if you do anything the overlords don’t like, until you buy a new motherboard. We need to push back against that remote attestation as much as possible because it needs to fail when they start pushing it, as if it can get its claws in and most people just shrug, then fuck off that’s over unless you want to be a digital pariah when it comes to online services and tech. Don’t give up!

Anonymous

Every single point is wrong.

>Diversify convos
                  meaning let us bring a Code of Conduct and invite SJW to your platforms to talk about irrelevant stuff to detract from your core mission

>abuse audits
                  Log all of the IP addresses and any info as much as possible so you we can report undesired people to the authorities. Not very privacy centric now is it?

>Subjective Moderation
                  Do I even need to explain this? Our opinions > your opinions and we must squash out any opinions that contradict. Why do I feel like they wish they had China levels of control?

>Impact points of centralization
                  You already touched this, but god damn this is the reason why we are decentralizing in the first place. All you need to do is look at a few PRISM slides to see what happens when you "impact" any "point" of centralization lmao

>Networks of Trust
                  Same shit with subjective moderation. The only ones that are "trustworthy" are the ones we approve the opinions of.

>Aesthetic signalling
                  Um, sweatie, you need to add pictures of a black and white couple to fend off all the white supremacists, hmmm kay?

>Stay small
                  Always stay small cause we don’t want you to get large enough to compete with our media conglomerates. Staying small makes sure you can’t send your message to a wide enough audience… besides why would you want to? Just turn on the news hunnie.

>Speak up
                  Report on your neighbors if you hear "troubling" info about them. Gee, this sounds an awful lot like chinese communist snitching-on-your-neighbor back in the day :thinking_face:

Anonymous

Old scrote here, around from the net inception for the masses. I think you summed the current situation pretty well, anon. Regroup and resist ideas needed.

Anonymous

Imagine not using Librewolf or Ungoogled Chromium for desktop and Bromite for mobile, at this point. There’s no other better choices out there for general browsing.

Anonymous

Oh for fucks’ sake. You can bitch about it but "Thing that requires asking some computer for information somewhere, requires information?! I AM SURPRISED" makes no sense. Its kind of like how the Google Safe Browsing option or Cloudflare DNS send something from your computer to others! Perish the thought!

So long as this feature is optional, still open source, and easy to turn off for those who desire it I don’t see any problem, unless it is some legitimate security or other issue that shows up. Its just like the last time that people freaked out about sponsored shit on the Firefox homepage, or Pocket, or anything else that allows them to make money somehow while being potentially useful to some people, yet easy to turn off for autists and still FOSS. You want them to stop this shit, but alternatives powered by Chrome/ium (yes, even the shill lion and ungoogled and others ) all send info out and potentially to far worse people than Mozilla , with it not as easy to disable and used for more shit. You won’t donate to Mozilla, you won’t let them do anything to make money even if they allow it to be privacy respecting, FOSS, and easy to disable, and you’ll bitch if they take money from anyone else – so what are they supposed to do to compete with one of the biggest tech companies in the world, that is for profit and has unlimited ad and data rape money?

Anonymous

Again I pose the question, who asked for this feature? What users wanted this? If I did I could already use Google search suggestions.

So what’s the point of this? Why were development resources put toward it? Is it just to create more revenue for Mozilla Corp by serving users adds? Did they have to do this because their market share is tanking and their revenue is going down? And don’t they see the irony that stuff like this is probably just going to drive away even more users and tank their market share and revenue even further?

Anonymous

I don’t know about the user base for this particular feature. I do know that lots of people, even normies, like Pocket and the search suggestions and other shit that was on older versions – they don’t even really hate the sponsored shit given its labeled. However, even if this is all just to make money, that’s still necessary to keep the project going unless you can come up with an alternative?

More than a decade ago, before Chrome/iium was pushed onto everything thanks to Google installer bundling and linking it to every service they had, not to mention ads etc.. Firefox was the predominant FOSS browser with the best features and shit like Internet Explorer was the competitor.. Google paid a fuckload to Mozilla to make Google Search a default onboard search engine for Firefox, among other things and other engines from MS Bing to Yahoo did as well. After Chrome, Google basically cut the percentage they gave to Firefox down to nothing – they were now a competitor in the browser space. So yeah, ever since then Mozilla has been trying to find aways to make money while keeping to their ideals while Google can fuck everything over and make unlimited bank.

People throw a huge fit when they even do things like having non-tracking, easily visible, easily disabled ads around, so what the fuck are they supposed to do? They can’t survive on autists alone and wage a war against scroteMAN class enemies.

Anonymous

They were never supposed to be about the money anon…. Paying that fuckface ceo millions of dollars was a mistake

Anonymous

THe previous CEO / other execs were paid a lot too, and they were managing a large foundation plus some of the most used FOSS projects around for a long time. It wasn’t like "oh, they just decided to give a moron a lot of money", they kept to the same ethos and the situation changed around them.

The argument that the current leadership has done stupid things has merit, but the situation changed under the feet of Mozilla when Chrome/ium came onto the scene. How Google pushed it too, understanding in a "capitalism lawl go fuck yourself" manner, made it a lot worse – it wasn’t like so many people chose the browser because it was so much better than Firefox especially early on – it was bundled with every single thing installed including freaking iTunes for awhile, default on any Android device, and otherwise slapped over everything. Meanwhile, they choked Mozilla of a huge source of funding down to a trickle etc..so its no surprise they had to do something for money – it wasnt just about greed or whatever. The fact that Mozilla wouldn’t change their underlying principles (ie they could have tried to spy on people and do other things for ads a and the like, for more money but they didn’t) was part of the reason they didn’t make as much given the no-holds-barred fuck you shit Google gets away with. So yeah their management has made crappy decisions but it isn’t like that is the only reason the problem exists as it is now. Its not like they "lost their vision"and just gave money to execs instead and all their problems were entirely internal.

Anonymous

librewolf

Anonymous

Is it time to make unmozillad firefox?

Anonymous

Ok, assuming one jumps ship from Firefox, where oh where would one jump to? Qutebrowser?

Anonymous

If you set search as you type, or whatever your browser calls it, you send every keystroke to your search provider. That’s how search as you type works.

Anonymous

Ungoogled chrome

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.