Do you unplug your PC when it is thundering outside?

Home Forums Science & tech Do you unplug your PC when it is thundering outside?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you unplug your PC when it is thundering outside?

Anonymous

Only during the thunder

Anonymous

Kek

Anonymous

i don’t, but my family turns off the tv when heavy thunderstorm since it’s using analog antennas back then, and by back then i mean early 2000s
      >but the power surge
      never happened in our place

Anonymous

Why would you do this? The computer isn’t scared of storms

Anonymous

But it still hates overvoltage.

Anonymous

No, my power has gone out plenty of times during storms.
          I turn stuff back on afterwards and everything is fine.
          The only problems I’ve had with power is when using a cheap, shitty power supply that freaking kills the motherboard and other parts.

Anonymous

the worst that should happen is you need to get a new PSU

Anonymous

Hmmm yes, why protect your hardware from potential damage when you could just buy a replacement. Genius!

Anonymous

no, i have surge protection

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/wAmdJXg.gif

no, I’m behind seven lightning protectors, they’re even my fuse box

no
        i have a surge protector

i actually turn off entire house from the fusebox just in case during thunder. this is why laptop is freaking comfy. dc is way of the future
        >doesnt care about thunder
        >doesnt have ground noise
        >portable
        >wont interrupt your progress if outage happens

No kind of protection or fuses can stop a lighting if it hits nearby. Even unplugging your devices can be in vain, as the voltage can get high enough to jump the gap between your plug and wall outlets, if you left them too close. Can only realistically happen in rural areas though.

Anonymous

What is this third world infrastructure you’re living with where a lightning strike could affect the power grid?

Anonymous

Only cities where the power grid is underground are *mostly* immune to strikes, first world countries still run their power in the air in rural areas.
            Have you not ever lived outside a city, bugman?

Anonymous

>Only cities where the power grid is underground are *mostly* immune to strikes,
              That’s the whole country.

>first world countries still run their power in the air in rural areas.
              Fuck no.

Anonymous

Imagine living in a country the size of a large city and thinking you have any idea how it works in a country that spans a freaking continent.
                Underground power lines are not practical in 90% of the country.
                You’re a bugman, cope.

Anonymous

Oh, I know how it works in a country that spans a freaking continent. That’s why I was specifically talking about first world countries only.

Anonymous

Anon I’ve heard some pretty scrotebrained takes for what makes a country first or third world. But I can say with 100% confidence that
                    >If it has achieved continental supremacy, it’s a third world country
                    Is a first for me

Anonymous

Clearly, you don’t. I grew up in a suburban area and I frequently traveled around downtown and urban areas. Pic related is an extremely common sight where I’m from.

Anonymous

imagine living in muttmerica

Anonymous

I’m Finnish though.

Anonymous

Shhh, bug euros are incapable of comprehending reality

Anonymous

>as the voltage can get high enough to jump the gap between your plug and wall outlets
          thats too insane of scenario, schizo

Anonymous

Do you even realize how many volts lightning generates?

Anonymous

If lightning just traveled 10 miles through the air in the sky to the power line right outside your house, do these people expect that an inch airgap in their surge protector will be the thing that finally stops the lightnings path? lmao

Anonymous

People severely underestimate the raw power of lightning.

Anonymous

lol

Anonymous

SEVERELY

Anonymous

>no, i have surge protection
        ‘muricans

Anonymous

no, I’m behind seven lightning protectors, they’re even my fuse box

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/SUCview.gif

Yes. Everything from PC to router to whatever is not strictly necessary. I lost too many things because a lightning struck something and follow the path to devices or appliances.

Anonymous

I put a condom around the PSU to prevent short circuiting.

Anonymous

no
      i have a surge protector

Anonymous

that doesn’t stop a freaking lightning

Anonymous

I’ve left my computer on for 4 years
      haven’t even cleaned it

Anonymous

yes
      I’m an electronic technician, I have loads of work after every thunderstorm, even when I say to them to freaking unplug the things from everything, even if is not raining
      also microwaves get cockroaches in the front panel if you leave it plugged
      UNPLUG YOUR ELECTRONICS

Anonymous

No. The power grid here is not impressed by some lightning.

Anonymous

No. And I’ve had lightning strike so close to the house you could hear the crackling and sizzling.

Anonymous

No. I YOLO it every time, I’ve even got my ethernet cable running down my wall outside. If that got hit, it’d take out my router and my motherboard.

I get a short blackout about once every few years, I’ll risk it.

Anonymous

No lmao.
      If I didn’t happened already, it won’t happen.

Anonymous

i actually turn off entire house from the fusebox just in case during thunder. this is why laptop is freaking comfy. dc is way of the future
      >doesnt care about thunder
      >doesnt have ground noise
      >portable
      >wont interrupt your progress if outage happens

Anonymous

No, because I don’t live in a third world country.

Anonymous

Good morning, I hate laptops.
      And no, I don’t unplug, I live in a civilized country with a temperate climate.

Anonymous

I always masturbate when I hear thunder.
      I don’t know why but it gives me the hardest boners and it makes me feel so powerful.

Anonymous

I’m definitively gonna try this out, thanks for the idea anon

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/nsSxpHi.gif

Its amazing to know LULZays doesn’t invest in batter backed surge supressors with voltage control.

Anonymous

Honestly I can’t tell who’s being a scrotebrain on purpose or not anymore. Surge protectors won’t do shit during a storm but fuck your signal up all the time from attenuation. This isn’t all about the grid freaking up, a simple antenna outside can bring your lightning friend inside to happily round and round through all connected electronics

Anonymous

I honestly didn’t know surge supressors don’t protect against thunder storms. I did a quick search on Microsoft Bing to check if your post was true or false and I found, after extended clicks on nefarious links with advertisements, that your statements are correct. I have a battery backed surge suppressor because I live in an area with a lot thunder storms. But for some reason after years of being here, and several powah outages, I have never had any issues with any of my devices. I used to think, expensive surge supressor = protec. I was wrong. You have taught me a lot today. You’ve even made me a better man. You have changed the ways I view thunderstorms and I want you to know that you have informed me. Next time you have a suicidal thought, remember: you have helped people on a Taiwanese basket weaving forum. Stay sharp, lad. The world needs you.

Anonymous

That’s not the sort of reply I had in mind, it was more like "shut up scrote" as per usual, so I guess I’m glad to read that, Anon, thank you.

Anonymous

>I have never had any issues with any of my devices.
            Most people don’t. But the chance always exists, so you’re gambling if you don’t take appropriate precautions.

The best solution is rotating two different ups’ between charging and discharging. While discharging it’s mechanically disconnected from any outlets. And while charging it’s mechanically disconnected from your psu.

Obviously this is a lot of work to mitigate a small risk of a few hundred dollars in damage, but you get my point.

That’s not the sort of reply I had in mind, it was more like "shut up scrote" as per usual, so I guess I’m glad to read that, Anon, thank you.

Shut the fuck up you cock gobbling scrote

Anonymous

reminder that you also have to unplug your ethernet cable or its gonna fry that connector
      on older dickyputers it would fry the entire mobo but im pretty sure modern ones are protected

I had 2 friends who lived next to eachother who got bonked over by that in the same thunder storm
      from that point onwards I plug out my electronics whenever there is a thunder storm close
      (which has only happened like twice in like 20 years)

Anonymous

No, but I used to unplug my ethernet cable during storms. Back then it was hanging off of my apartment complex’s roof, and it would often fry my ethernet card. Apparently the cable was close enough to the building’s lightning rod that it recieved residue charge off of it. Thank god the regulations were tightened and they moved the cables inside since then

Anonymous

sounds like a third world thing to me

Anonymous

>Do you unplug your PC when it is thundering outside?
      Nay
      Bitchin’ Fast all day, all night.

Anonymous

Yes. I even unplug it during sleep sometimes in case power goes out during the night.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/KPcMUcR.gif

(1) Who is at greatest risk for lightning strikes?

Males are five times more likely than females to be struck by lightning. Most lightning strike victims are children and young adults aged 15–34 years who work outside or regularly participate in outdoor recreation. Construction and farming are the two most common occupations for victims of lightning strikes. Regional, seasonal, and temporal differences affect the risk of lightning injury. For instance, most lightning strikes occur in the summer months, especially July, during the afternoon and evening. Also, southeastern states are particularly at risk, with Texas and Florida having the largest number of lightning-related deaths.

(2) How can I protect myself from a lightning strike?

Be prepared. Check the weather before participating in outdoor activities. If thunderstorms are forecast, change plans or ensure that a safe shelter is nearby.

While inside during a thunderstorm:

Stay off corded phones. Cell phones and cordless phones are okay.
      Do NOT use computers or electronic equipment.
      Stay out of the shower and away from other plumbing. This includes avoiding washing dishes.
      Stay away from windows and doors.

If outside during a thunderstorm:

Seek shelter immediately.
      Do NOT lie on the ground or seek shelter under a tree!

(3) What should I do if I am inside a building during a lightning storm?

To stay safe inside a building:

Stay away from electrical equipment or cords, including corded phones.
      Avoid plumbing; do NOT wash your hands, take a shower, or wash dishes.
      Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off of porches and balconies.
      Do NOT lie down on or lean against any concrete floors or walls.

(4) Is it safe to take a shower or bath during a lightning storm?

No. Lightning can travel through plumbing. It is best to avoid all water during a lightning storm. Do not shower, bathe, wash dishes, or wash your hands.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/lightning/faq.html

Anonymous

>Males are five times more likely than females to be struck by lightning.
        why? taller? reckless?

Anonymous

Outside more

Thank you for stating the obvious buddy

Yeah, it’s so obvious you would think people did it right? Too bad people don’t take that shit seriously.

Anonymous

Did you not read the rest of it? Construction and farming… Just think about occupation… Are you freaking scrotebrained

Anonymous

>Are you freaking scrotebrained
            a bit, that’s why i am a NEET for 5 years

Anonymous

Males have a built-in lightning rod

Anonymous

has anyone ever been struck in the dick by lightning?

Anonymous

>Seek shelter immediately.
        >Do NOT lie on the ground or seek shelter under a tree!
        Sometimes trees are the only option around anyway. But I get why large trees are dangerous during thunderstorms, I just wonder if small trees and shrubs are ok.

Anonymous

>I just wonder if small trees and shrubs are ok.
          Do they have a lightning rod in them to prevent you from getting absolutely freaking goofed on if it gets hit?
          Being less tall than the things around it doesn’t help if the things around it are too far to pull an arc away.

Anonymous

.t small tree / bush dwelling scrote

Anonymous

Enterprise UPSes. Everything from network equipment, PC, laptop, monitors, studio monitors, TV, PlayStation, etc is behind it.

Anonymous

I want a CRT monitor!

Anonymous

I live in an area that has significant amounts of thunderstorms, never have I had an issue. I do use surge protectors on most devices around the home, and a UPS or two. Just make sure you don’t have obvious issues like cable lines/phone lines/antennas exposed and use surge supressors (which often include filters for those other lines too) and you’ll be fine. Anything more is fear mongering, like I said, 20+ years living in a thunderstorm prone area without an issue.

Anonymous

It never happens, until it happens.
        Backup your data
        Protect your electronics
        Make sure you have smoke AND co2 detectors
        Test your tap water regularly
        Get regular medical checkups
        Inspect your home for mold often

Anonymous

Thank you for stating the obvious buddy

Anonymous

Thank you for remembering us some of the most important things that we know we should do but often still won’t bother to.

Anonymous

My house dosent have shitty wiring so no

Anonymous

What magical 50th century wiring do you have in your house.

Anonymous

I always thought this was a boomer meme but a couple years ago a thunderstorm fried my mobo despite my house having surge protection and was using a power board with surge protection.

Still not gonna unplug though because gaming during a storm is PEAK comfy. Also I work from home and can’t exactly say ‘sorry boss, it’s storming so I’m gonna have to clock out for the day’

Anonymous

I’m convinced the people that tell you it can’t happen are psu manufacturers.

Anonymous

soul

Anonymous

>zurge prodegda can ztop lartneen
      do burgers really?

Anonymous

I’m not poor and I have an UPS with surge protection 🙂

Anonymous

no. i have house insurance and a penis

Anonymous

I freely admit not unplugging or turning off my shit during storms because there’s too much of it and it’s such a hassle to power it all down. I unmount some filesystems just in case it gets powered down for me though, that way I don’t have to spend a week scrubbing my NAS from an unclean shutdown.

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

I unplug it and move it to the middle of the room

Anonymous

I live in the lightning capital of north america and I have never done that

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.