Do you run any VM on your main desktop?

Home Forums Science & tech Do you run any VM on your main desktop?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you run any VM on your main desktop?
      If so, what do you run and for what purpose?

Anonymous

my work machine is a local HyperV machine (Windows). And i try out shit on VMs all the time, like firewall rules or Linux distributions!

Anonymous

I play eroge in VMs. I used to use vmware but lately it’s become a giant shitshow so I switched back to virtualbox.

Anonymous

>I play eroge in VMs.
        same
        >I used to use vmware but lately it’s become a giant shitshow so I switched back to virtualbox.
        I have the opposite experience
        tried virtualbox, but it sucked ass and barely worked, while vmware workstation just werks

Anonymous

Maybe it was because I was using the free version (vmplayer) which they gimp or purpose something dunno. I started getting random lag for literally no reason. It’s basically unusable now. Not sure if they just shat the bed with newer kernel versions or what.

Use virt-manager. Outside of xen it’s superior in every way

QEMU is useless unless you do GPU passthrough (which I don’t) because it has no 3d acceleration on windows.

Anonymous

>vmplayer
            wtf are you doing anon
            just pirate vmware desktop

Anonymous

Is this actually better though?

Anonymous

Not then anon you’re replying to but vmware workstation is much better. One feature I use all the time is the Revert to Snapshot feature.

Anonymous

I don’t really care about any of that tbh. I just want to run my glorified powerpoints stably. If it still uses the same fundamental code/logic for its 2D/3D rendering, I don’t see why I wouldn’t have the same issue.

Anonymous

Could literally just use virtualbox, or hyper-v if running 8.1 or later

Anonymous

virtio-gpu drivers are now available for Windows. That allows you to get 3D Acceleration, albeit not with the official NVIDIA drivers.

Anonymous

>virtio-gpu-drivers
              They don’t work on Windows 7 at least. You can install an older version and it’ll fix some stuff like the resolution but it won’t actually give you any 3D acceleration.

Anonymous

Use virt-manager. Outside of xen it’s superior in every way

Anonymous

virt-manager is outdated garbage.

Anonymous

And what should we use? Boxes? That freaking thing hides everything I need.

Anonymous

command line

Anonymous

Do I copy and paste the 600 char command each time or should I turn it into an alias?

Anonymous

there is this forbidden black magic advanced wizards use to manage their shit and it’s called bash scripting

Anonymous

win7 because a lot of family photos are on an old 2core 3gb ram computar that can’t into boot, and it was easier to just copy the drive to vmware and play around with it on my newer machine.

Anonymous

….just copy the files out of the vm then

Anonymous

I install os to disk/jump drive with virt-manager passing the storage drive directly to the VM. You can do everything you need while knowing a bug in there installer cannot bork your bootloader. This is a useful technique if you want to install something you may need documentation for or hotswap a bunch of disk drives that can then be placed into computers.

Anonymous

fuck off, nsa.

threads like this are pure freaking cancer.

Anonymous

>the NSA needs to "ask" to find out what you’re running
        brain dead scrotebrain

Anonymous

I use Fedora as my main machine. I have a VM with Windows for whenever I need to do something that requires it. It’s not very often that I use it, but it at least prevents me from having to say "sorry, I don’t have Windows…" should we need to use some technology that requires it.
      It doesn’t look quite right, and network is always a bit awkward, but overall it werks.

Anonymous

I’m yet to find something I can’t run on a container

Anonymous

I took a snapshot of a work computer running software for some hardware I have at home. After I left the job I still needed this software thats behind a dealer portal but I can use it as I like.

Anonymous

i run a vm to autoclick on runescape

Anonymous

I run a Haiku VM on my main laptop which I used to compile Heimdall for Haiku.
      Required a bit of searching across the repos and changing a CMakeLists file, but it compiled in the end.
      I haven’t actually tested it though.

Anonymous

VMWare Workstation Player running a MacOS Catalina VM so I use XCode and publish apps to the App Store without having to buy an Apple device.

Anonymous

All my work related stuff is in a VM. At first it was because my primary OS was Linux and I needed Windows for work, but after switching back to Windows 10 I still use the VM since it’s a good delineation between business and personal stuff.

Anonymous

>If so, what do you run and for what purpose?
      Dicking around box
      Linux machine
      Work machine if too lazy to get to my laptop I have a copy of the image running

Anonymous

i wanted to run my main machine as a vm, but couldn’t figure out how to configure multiple monitors without qxa

Anonymous

I run a Windows 10 VM for games.

Anonymous

>Playing games on a VM
        Why? Do you hate yourself?

Anonymous

I put my 3080 and dedicated NVMe SSD on passthrough and it runs like the real thing.

Anonymous

how’s the performance compared to native?

Anonymous

No difference. I’m running everything at 4K60 and I don’t notice it’s a VM. I also have the sound going into my monitor which goes out to a mixer.

why not do it the other way around?
              why run the most computationally intensive software you have in a freaking vm?

I prefer to run Linux directly because it’s much more stable and works the way I want it to. And I’m not even talking about rice I just want an OS I’m fully in control of and can take updates without rebooting.

Anonymous

Nice to know this works well! Desktop Linux is incredible these days

Anonymous

Windows 11 turning into the abomination it is was what made me go Linux full time. My Windows installation is now dedicated to games and I basically treat it like a console. All settings on default and I don’t even bother installing a browser or even setting up Edge.

Anonymous

why not do it the other way around?
            why run the most computationally intensive software you have in a freaking vm?

Anonymous

Not that anon but I wouldn’t run malware as my real OS either.

Anonymous

I’ve got a Windows Server lab for toying around with various shit and configurations. Two VMs for Win10. One VM for my watch-wallet. One VM to build firmware. 10 total.

Anonymous

All my VMs run on my homeserver.

Anonymous

I have a Hyper-V FreeBSD VM for CLI stuff

Anonymous

Yes, i use GNS3

Anonymous

Docker containers have taken over from virtual box for me, some scientific libraries I develop with are difficult to install on the MacBook I use at work, so I just chuck all my utilities into docker containers with cli wrapper scripts

Anonymous

I have Windows 7 32bit VM to use digital signing and authentication with my country ID, it uses some specific drivers so it can’t be used under Linux

Anonymous

i got a qemu/kvm vm for bookstack

Anonymous

I’m running Win10 with a NixOS Hyper-v VM
      NixOS is installed on a dedicated SSD that I pass through to the VM, which means I can always just natively boot the NixOS installation.

I also pass through 6 12TB HDDs to the VM for storing media. The VM runs all my services like Plex, Deluge, etc.
      I also develop/work on NixOS, by using VSCode and the Remote SSH extension.
      Pretty happy with the setup

Anonymous

I run a Win10 VM so i can use altstore.
      Linux works for everything else

Anonymous

I run a collection of windowses, 95, 98, NT4, w2K, wXP, w7.
      Mostly for testing applications.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id