Do you guys use an arm for your monitors?

Home Forums Science & tech Do you guys use an arm for your monitors?

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you guys use an arm for your monitors?

Anonymous

No.

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

no but I arm my monitor

Anonymous

Woke af and assault panel pilled.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

3 old books under the monitor work just fine

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Fuck no. Total waste of time and money. Stop falling for minimalism memes. Even a freaking folding table works as a desk with sufficient space if you’re short on money and can’t afford a desk made for adult human beings.

Woke af Creative speaker chad.

Anonymous

yeah sis stacking books is so much better than a clean looking setup

Anonymous

I used books until I found a wood thing and made a table

Anonymous

kielbasa

Anonymous

Jeszcze bolzga nie zginęła

Anonymous

I steal bibles from hotels for this very porpuse.

Anonymous

I always just thought you loved God a lot.

Anonymous

I use the cheap one
      >don’t care for articulation
      >articulated mounts look like gaymer shit
      >move my stuff too frequently to mount to wall and hide cables
      Wall mount is the best answer, with cables running in the wall

If there are any cables on my desk they need to, at the very least, look aesthetically pleasing. At the moment that is more or less just my keyboard cable, which is a black, coiled, wrapped, etc. cable. Everything else is either hidden or wireless.

Anonymous

that’s a cute drawing anon, you’re very talented

Anonymous

>consolescrote
        >destiny
        bait

Anonymous

Do people actually put their wires through the wall for these?

Anonymous

>Do people actually put their wires through the wall for these?
          Absolutely. It is usually easy as long as you are going through an interior stick frame wall (most US houses). Power is what you need to know a little about if you want to be code compliant.

If your monitor’s relative position is unlikely to change much in the foreseeable future then I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to do it in order to have a nice, clean look. I do it for all the TVs in my house.

Then again there are a lot of people in /bst/ that are perfectly fine having ugly stations.

Anonymous

>cant adjust screen
        freaking hell mate. wall mounting is cringe

Anonymous

No, just getting the monitor with the height adjustable option for 15€ more is cheaper and as good.

Anonymous

Takes up more space on the table and is less flexible.
        And gas spring mounts are only $30.

Anonymous

>$30
          For Europe take every price you have in your head times two, because of insane taxes and tariffs.

Anonymous

I actually took the Euro price and went 1:1.

Anonymous

you can always buy it from aliexpress

Anonymous

Ahahaha you can’t escape from euro taxes my man ! They taxed that shit store side in July lmao

Anonymous

Ahahaha you can’t escape from euro taxes my man ! They taxed that shit store side in July lmao

This, you still have to pay it (plus some 8€ or so fee for the post man to collect it from you).

Anonymous

If your postal services is run by garden gnomes maybe but they shouldn’t charge handling fees for aliexpress because the tax is collected on purchase.

Anonymous

The post man collects import VAT, they used to have exemptions for cheap chink shit below 20€ or so but got rid of it.
                  So essentially you buy some shit for 1$ on Ali, and it will cost you 1$=0.84€ for the product + whatever shipping costs, paid to Aliexpress, and 0.17€ to the tax man plus 8€ fee.
                  Just import-VAT, if you happen to buy something that is not subject to tariffs.

Anonymous

Not how it works. All purchases under 150€ are VAT inclusive on Ali. The post man doesn’t have to do shit alipay quite literally sends it directly to your cunt’s tax house. The 8 € is your post men freaking you. It’s all completely handled before it gets even shipped. There is no handling done to justify the "handling" fee. What country do you live in ? In France they (rightfully) don’t bill you for anything since you already paid.

Anonymous

I see, then I guess thanks Ali for putting up with our shenanigans. The 8€ only apply if the (((merchant))) doesn’t pay it, of course.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

maybe

Anonymous

I have a cheapo one and don’t like it, wobbles too much. I might just remove it and toss it into the closet.

Anonymous

yes, I bought some 50 dollar shits from amazon, company is haunao or something like that. They are a little non-intuitive, but honestly switching to monitor arms has been one of the best changes I’ve made to my computer working environment. You have so much flexibility to get them where you need them, to have them fuck off when they’re in the way, to move things or rotate things for better views, etc. It’s such a no-brainer to me now to use monitor arms. Fantastic and I’d recommend to anyone who wants to improve their computer experience.

Anonymous

I got a cheap one but it’s not enough, I like my display really high up like pic related.

Anonymous

bitch is tall

Anonymous

for you

Anonymous

Bad ergonomics. See how she has to lean forwards ? Bad golem tier posture is what you’re going to end up with. Your monitor should be high, with the top bezel sitting a bit above eye level but not too high and the screen tilted about 15 degrees back. That will allow you to see everything with minimal movement and more importantly will allow you to keep your ass where it belongs and your back on the backrest. If you can’t see move the screen towards you or get a bigger screen.

Anonymous

Blah blah blah, there’s no silver bullet for ergonomics and I’ll use whatever makes me feel comfy. I spent $300 in one of there ergonomic chairs and got a whole heap of plastic that made my back hurt like I got hit by a truck, sold it for cheap to a coworker and got one of those leather, cushioned lazy boys and good lord, it’s so damn comfy.

Anonymous

The arm’s got nothing to do with that; this bitch is blind

Anonymous

I am the opposite. I recline back in my chair and have the monitor low while tilted forward

Anonymous

yes, it’s a huge improvement to any desk

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

I have the cheap one on a 1m pole so I can mount my secondary 1080p monitors (which I only ever hook up for console gaming) over my 4k 43" 1 screen PC setup. Useful for tiling them downwards.

I don’t have my 43" screen on a pole, both because there’s no real point to moving it, and because it’s too heavy for most of them.

Anonymous

I bought one from Amazon for 2 monitors for like $35 and then I extended it with 3x3cm aluminum tubes, steel hole-plates and M8 bolts to make room for another monitor arm in the middle that I’ve attached to the same base.

It works perfectly fine for me and I didn’t have to spend $300 for a decent 3-monitor arm

Anonymous

oh and I 3d printed custom bushings that go inside of the tubes to support the areas where the screws go in

Anonymous

anon this is basado as frick, how do I do this if i am a scrotebrain

Anonymous

if your monitor arm isn’t this smooth why even bother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOCk-ZiIPQI

Anonymous

Yes, but you can get that $300 one on Amazon for $50.

Anonymous

i was going to get one but then i realized my desk is up against the wall and the arms for those stands need space to move around and i dont want to bring my desk away from the wall, so i got a vertical dual monitor stand instead

Anonymous

They don’t really need space in the back.

Anonymous

These are scrotebrained. The giant foot is completely unnecessary and just takes up desk space. Vertical monitors are also scrotebrained and going to give you neck pain. Get this

indeed

Anonymous

lol no, ive been using it for 2 years now and i have zero neck pain. i used to have them side by side and was constantly twisting my neck back and forth, that gave me neck pain. with vertical monitors i just move my eyes up and down

Anonymous

I’ve been thinking of having a stacked monitor setup.
            I’m upgrading to the ultrawide master race, and was thinking of using my older 1080p (16:9) monitor as the top one and just having it display a very detailed and artsy conky stats, with a .gif background. That way while I’m taking up the main ultrawide monitor (gaming, movies, GIS), I can just glance up for up to date stats for my computer instead of alt-tabbing.

Anonymous

i just bought a cheap monitor arm
      I hope it doesn’t break, they are only 23.5 inch screens.

Anonymous

indeed

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/d5vL2tG.gif

Yes, I only use ergotron at this point because I’m kind of fed up with the quality of other mounts. I’ve used a lot of different brands personally and professionally, and if you need any articulation they’re the most consistent as far as quality control and build quality. A little pricey but it’s worth.

Anonymous

No I’m not a coomsumer

Anonymous
      Anonymous

It feels like a total and complete waste of space to not use a monitor arm honestly. They’re not that expensive.

Anonymous

Any Euroscrotes in here with recommendations for a good, reasonably priced monitor arm for two monitors? Something you can get from like German Amazon maybe.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

Should I get a desk mounted or wall mounted arm?

Anonymous

i would say desk

Anonymous

it depends, if you can adjust the monitor to a comfortable position that you don’t need to change, use wall mount, but the cheap ones do the job okay if you have a desk that you can mount it , also the arm lets you get the monitor closer to you or rotate it, is very useful

Anonymous

Yes. Main monitor has once so I can extend the monitor close to my face when playing cs:go.

Anonymous

my ultrawide is too heavy for it so i have to lift the monitor back up every 2 weeks or so and occasionally retighten it.

Anonymous

>speaker eyes
        >ultrawide mouth
        Im high and freaked out anon.

Anonymous

Yes, a ~$20 amazon crap, I rarely move my monitor but when I have to it works. I’d expect if I moved it enough times it would get annoying because the tolerances are pretty poor.

Anonymous

Yes I lift it with my arm all the time. Imagine using a desk

Anonymous

My screen is attached to my dildo which in turn is attached to my ass.

Anonymous

thanks for the bump I guess

Anonymous

hell yeah, I love it, best 20 bucks I spent. Honestly I should do it with my pi emulator and hang it over my couch horizontally, so I can spread out real lazy play some starfox 2 on snes. Goddamnit, you know what, im doing it now.

Anonymous

Too hard, technically possible, pain in the ass to setup. I could hdmi split it with a hub but then id need a usb hub to attach extenders into the living room. My spare minimonitor cant vesa either so it’d be bullshit looking long-term. I could move the pi everytime, but thats not how lazy works considering all the wires and bullshit.

Anonymous

Yes, dual stands, and a long standing height one for standing desk.

Anonymous

Yes. More space on desk

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

I have one, but it’s for a very specific use case. One of my monitors is a graphics tablet and it takes full advantage of not only the articulation, but the ability to position it in 3D space without anything directly underneath it.

Anonymous

I use that $25 one and goddamn is it so freaking horrible
      Weak metal, doesn’t stay in place piece of shit
      I’ve got three of them and haven’t replaced them for the past five years because I’m a frugal garden gnome

Anonymous

no but I did by a more sturdy universal base because the one that was included was too wobbly.
      similar to picrel but only holds my single ultrawide

Anonymous

Yes. The amazonbasics one in the middle is actually just a rebranded ergotron arm, which i think is the $300 one on the right. I have some and the arm/piston part actually still says ergotron since they are all manufactured in the same place and then rebranded on the base.

Hate to give amazon money for their amazonbasics rip offs but that is too good of a deal to pass up. Ive got three for the price of one ergotron branded one.

Anonymous

Just got the $75 two arm one on Amazon, hoping its good.

What I learned about this stupid kind of ‘accessory’ BS –> Always make sure you spend MORE than $50, but no more than $200 to $250.

Reason being is that I’ve been screwed over, time and time again on cheap ass mic stands since I do music recording from time to time, and boy I cannot find a decent mid-tier mic stand at all.

Anonymous

Anyone know of a mount that lets you lock a position? Like with a quick release or something.

Anonymous

no i put my monitor is currently being raised by standing on top of two dictionaries

Anonymous

I got the middle amazon basic one from amazon warehouse for a decent discount. Shit works. A lot of people have issues with the adjustment screws though apparently.

Anonymous

Dell MSA20. Much better than the Amazon ergotron ripoff.

Anonymous

Yeah, switched recently because the stand on my new monitor took up way too much space.
      Got a white VIVO STAND-V001W, been using it for ~1 week but I like it.
      Gives me back the space and the white blends in pretty good with my wall + desk.

Anonymous

>dispatcher chairs
      no but i want one to feel like i fit in
      should i do it?
      i use my monitor very close to my face, either around or less than 12 inches i think

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id