Do you guys still take notes physically or do everything on app?

Home Forums General & off-topic Do you guys still take notes physically or do everything on app?

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you guys still take notes physically or do everything on app?

Anonymous

I use my ereader.

Anonymous

I like using Obsidian.

https://obsidian.md/

Anonymous

This is a fountain pen thread now.

Anonymous

Gel pens are to fountain pens as hammer is to rock on a stick.

Anonymous

Gel pen sucks. I rest my case.

Anonymous

gel pens are for freaking 12 year old white girls scrotebrain grow up

Anonymous

How do I improve my shitty handwriting?

Anonymous

personally, I’m a fan of Notion, but I also have a notebook and pen on my desk at all times, just in case I don’t feel like typing.

Anonymous

I just keep mental notes. Has always worked out.

Anonymous

I use my brain.
      Never understood notetaking.
      Seems like complete brainlet tier coping mechanisms for not having a functional brain.

Anonymous

>never went to school

Anonymous

It’s not about storing it in the paper, it increases the processing of said knowledge. This significant improves retention.

Anonymous

Note taking is just writing, which is something you should be able to understand. It’s good to write and synthesize thoughts, express ideas or opinions.going though the effort of solidifying something on paper helps most people.

Granted, most people take shit notes

Anonymous

some of us do more tuan shopping list.
        good luck remembering 1000’s of notes

Anonymous

I use regular text files on my desktop for 90% of stuff.

I also use some website called Workflowy for easily sharing links and notes cross platform. If there is a better *simple* no frills browser woke af note taking website out there please tell me. It was pretty much the first I found.

Anonymous

Physically in class, formalize them with LaTeX afterward

Anonymous

Sounds like a man who can afford to loose time

Anonymous

I did until I ran out of refill for my Metro. And I sure don’t freaking wanna use my Tsuki-Yo for simple note taking.

Anonymous

Try bullet journaling. I do my calendar there, my budget, my future plans. It’s been superior to any digital system for me for most things.

Anonymous

used it for two years, realized that it takes too much work on my end to keep multiple sections updated.
        now i use org-mode.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

if you cant write in cursive you honestly should have a nice day

Correct. IMHO the main benefit of note-taking is that you must pass the info through your brain in order to write it down and thus you comprehend it better. I take notes in class (pen and notebook) but I rarely have to look at them later since I retain the information quite well, and I believe note-taking helps with that. This effect of improved information retention only exists to a meaningful degree when writing as with a pen and NOT when typing on a keyboard, which is why I would say only tablet-style note-taking apparatuses are a comparable substitute for pen and paper, however why spend several hundred $ on one of those when a notebook + pen are like $1 combined I do not understand.
        >Turning notes into .pdf’s
        Why? Are you sending copies to classmates? What are you gay or something? They can take their own notes and/or check the textbook if they need something.
        >What if I lose the notebook?
        What if you’re not scrotebrained? Also as mentioned notes aren’t so important you’d fail the class if you lose them, as dumb as you’d have to be to do that.
        >Different-colored brushes, drawing tools, muh infinite canvas
        This shit is overkill, you’re not writing a goddamned paper for publication. The people who exalt such features are I find most oft those who copy the professor’s slides/words/visuals verbatim, which besides being stupidly unnecessary also defeats the point of parsing the information yourself when you write it down.

Anonymous

>which besides being stupidly unnecessary also defeats the point of parsing the information yourself when you write it down
          I disagree. Most of the time when I am writing notes, whether it be in a lecture, seminar, or meeting is to dictate as much information as possible so I could remember the fine details and then scrutinize that information afterwards. Assuming the pace of the session you are in is relatively rapid, it is important to have access to all of that information when you are completing an analysis and integrating your own understanding afterwards.
          Notetaking isn’t a medium to study, it precedes study

Anonymous

I use LaTeX. If I don’t know how to format something off the top of my head, I use Xournal++ with a wacom tablet (I thought the laptop came with that sort of functionality, but apparently Dell doesn’t put it in their 17-inch models for some god-forsaken reason).

>why spend several hundred $ on one of those when a notebook + pen are like $1 combined I do not understand.
          Physical paper takes up too much freaking space. I can carry billions of pages worth of notes with me at any given time. Even if your argument is that I don’t need to carry everything with me all at once, I don’t have space to keep all the notes from previous classes.
          >Turning notes into .pdf’s
          I typeset my notes and export to PDF so that once the semester’s over and I’ve forgotten everything, I have a nicely organized document to find everything I need later.
          >different-colored brushes
          They’re extremely helpful when drawing graphs.
          Another good thing about digital note-taking is that you can move, resize, and rotate things after you write them. So if you wrote a bunch of stuff and notice you wrote it in an extremely narrow area, you can fix that really easily.

A github repo with folders. Each folder contains a README.md file for a topic. From time to time I use a script to update the index.md file on the top level. I usually take notes for stuff that I expect to use in the future.

Why do you use github instead of just having a local repo?

🙁 I can’t even write my name cursively
          t. zoomer

It has nothing to do with being a zoomer and everything to do with what school you went to.

Math notes are very, very inconvenient to do on a computer. LaTeX and alternatives exist, but none are close to pen and paper.

Outside of that, in my everyday life, I do everything in plain text files. Sadly, I don’t think anything has topped plain text files.

>none are close to pen and paper
          Just use Xournal++ and a graphics tablet.

>Who at the age of 5 wants to freaking sit there and write?
          Very few. However, most parents who aren’t scrotes and/or low IQ will have the forethought to discipline their kid into taking such things seriously and completing it in a satisfactory manner. My parent’s didn’t express the mildest of cares that I didn’t complete my work sufficiently. The correlation that you noted between children with neat writing and academic attainment is largely a product of parenting (i.e. the parents that encourage their child to complete their work correctly will likely develop better writing and also are developing a more conscientious habit of completing their work.)

>most parents who aren’t scrotes and/or low IQ will have the forethought to discipline their kid into taking such things seriously and completing it in a satisfactory manner
          That is the teacher’s job though. They get paid for it.

Anonymous

Students just don’t understand how useful a small pen and paper is. sorry but I carry enough shit. You can’t even leave a user a copy of there IP real quick or your phone. I also keep sticker nots in my notepad
            You have to type up an email or teams it to them. And guess what, many boomers and zoomers are not tech savvy at all.

Need notes for your gay professors project, sure a laptop might be great for that. For my type of work, it’s extra shit/ weight. Paper is the best way to get the ports that need activated.

Pic related, my kit minus phone.

Anonymous

Oh yes. I understand now. You’re right and I’m wrong. My mistake :^)

Anonymous

I’m just glad you admitted it.

Anonymous

this is the most boomer thing I have ever seen. Fuken saved!

Anonymous

and was up with the gypsy ring bro?

Anonymous

>Leatherman
              >Yubikey
              woke af
              >wireless earphones
              >owning a car
              bloat

Anonymous

I need to access the notes from work and there I can only use a browser.

On top of that I can use the github app to look at the notes on my phone.

Anonymous

I think I get equal information retention as with pen because I touch type

Anonymous

For study I agree that pen and paper is the best for the reasons you’ve stated, but for general notetaking digital text is superior. You gain the ability to (fuzzy) search your entire notes collection, easily reference and dereference past notes, insert or paste quotes or attachments, reorganize the overall structure of a single note, multi device sync, the convenience of being able to jot down whatever at any time and place, and complete versioning / the ability to trace back when and what additions were made to your notes. You can also edit your notes with something like vim for increased productivity, easily export them to other applications like SRS or graph/wordcloud/heatmap visualizations, and do 321 backups that survive housefires.

Anonymous

>the information must pass through your brain when you write
          I do not understand, do you think information bypasses your brain when typing?

Anonymous

With writing, you use more parts of the brain to process information. Imagining the letters, forming the words physically, etc. It takes more time also, so you have to abstract too. So you toss around the information more in your brain, and thus retain more if you write. Typing is just placing your finger on a spot. It also is faster, so the information is tossed around way less, and you thus retain less. On top of that that screens usually are shit to concentrate on, plus more distraction on a computer.

So for learning id use something where you have to write. For organising i find digital notetaking superior. No bags of paper, easy linking of information, copy/pasting information. Easy to organise too.

Anonymous

if you cant write in cursive you honestly should have a nice day

Anonymous

I’m not in school anymore, but when I was, I always took a notebook and took notes physically.
      Laptops are bloat. I also retain information that I’m actually writing down better, as opposed to just typing it. And of course, it’s a lot easier to get distracted on a laptop. I’d look around at everyone else in the lecture hall on their computers and 90% of them were shopping online or chatting on faceberg or some shit.

Anonymous

i take notes on paper in a small notebook usually, although my handwriting is freaking trash
      or .txt files

Anonymous

My handwriting is a freaking mess

Anonymous

Just get good scrub

Anonymous

notes by apple
      so good its worth getting into the ecosystem

Anonymous

A github repo with folders. Each folder contains a README.md file for a topic. From time to time I use a script to update the index.md file on the top level. I usually take notes for stuff that I expect to use in the future.

Anonymous

Underrated post. This guy is woke af.

Anonymous

Thanks

Anonymous

I do this too for "learning" notes

Anonymous

always physically

Anonymous

rotring chad here
      paper is superior.

Anonymous

I just make mental notes

Anonymous

I always love writing with a pen on paper. Ever since Ive gotten a new laptop with digitiser from the faculty, because my old one didn’t cut it anymore, i write everything with a pen on tablet mode. It’s a bit weird at first because of the haptic feedback that isn’t there but i got used to it and I can organize it. Also it smoothens my handwriting a bit because it’s usually a freaking mess.

Anonymous

what pen should i buy, currently using a cheapo $1 pen

Anonymous

Cheap pens are a bloat because you throw away the whole pen when it is empty. It of also bad for our envorbnronmemnrment.

Anonymous

and thats why I am asking

Anonymous

Master the fountain pen. It looks and feels good, will last years if you take care of it and you only need to replace the ink.

Anonymous

Plantinum preppy, twsbi, lamy,pilot etc
        Get a bottle of ink too.

Ive been using the same pen for over 10 years now.

Anonymous

Why is the pen placed between two words where there is no where to write?

Anonymous

>taking notes
      cringe busy-work for normies who want to feel like theyve done something.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Doesn’t aliexpress sell knock offs of this for like $10?

Anonymous

Not him, but link?

Anonymous

I think you’re thinking of those drawing tablets, that’s a different less useful thing. You can’t store those notes for example. It’s useful for one time doodles or having a small one around to make little notes, basically instead of using paper notes you use that.

Anonymous

Joplin

Anonymous

Hand write notes in my rocketbook then scan it with my phone

Anonymous

I don’t take traditional notes, I convert everything into question:answer format and throw it into an Anki deck.

Anonymous

Math notes are very, very inconvenient to do on a computer. LaTeX and alternatives exist, but none are close to pen and paper.

Outside of that, in my everyday life, I do everything in plain text files. Sadly, I don’t think anything has topped plain text files.

Anonymous

I took really detailed notes throughout college and just kept the habit when I started my job. It’s just a notebook but I write down the date, topic and then any details from the meeting with action items. Then I review the last several pages and cross things off as resolved or re-write them on the new pages as backlog.

Anonymous

I sonetimes write short notes about my thoughts in text files, it is fun to reread years later

Anonymous

Pen and paper. I am trying to figure out a nicer solution than notebooks though. I often don’t fill them up fully.

Anonymous

>what is a binder

Anonymous

Aren’t those pretty bulky?

Anonymous

I have one notebook for all 5-6 classes I take at a time, partitioned into sections. At the end of the semester I rip out all the pages I used for each class, archive them, and use the rest as scratch paper. Works pretty well and I freaking hate binders – this way all I carry to lectures is a single notebook and pen.

to be clear, I can read cursive perfectly well. I am just not an art scrote and am perfectly okay with my toddler-tier printing.

Not an art scrote either, fren.
        >am perfectly okay with my toddler-tier printing
        Why? It looks like shit and shows that you have no self-respect nor care in the work you do. This is the same mentality which allows people to come to lectures in pajamas and sandles….you can do that, I guess, but do you yourself not feel infantile doing so (not to mention that others will view you as such)? Empirically from grading homework and such there is a marked overlap between those who have shit handwriting and those who are scrotebrained (lowest assignment/exam scores), and vice versa (disregarding the females ofc).

Anonymous

>not having neat writing is the same mentality that leads to behaving like a scrote
          The neatness of your writing is largely a product of your circumstances as a child. Whilst learning to write (time of peak neuroplasticity) and completing an extremely large quantity of repetitions (repeatedly writing in elementary school classrooms for many consecutive days). If you were an active kid with low IQ parents, chances are you didn’t put forth much time perfecting your writing, and when actually completing writing tasks, you were eager to finish and begin playing. Accordingly, I have developed generic ‘guy’ writing and I don’t care enough to devote time developing my writing style. I am currently effective, it is legible, and I am not an insecure scrote. The substance of my writing speaks for itself.

Anonymous

>I am trying to figure out a nicer solution than notebooks though
        memopads for each course and a really nice clipboard is the answer

Anonymous

pen and paper, if it’s important i put it on a .txt later.

Anonymous

I type fast, so I just use my work laptop and OneNote.

Anonymous

I don’t want to make a thread so I’m glad this one exists, does anyone use Grammarly for work? How is it? Worth the price every year? I am a decent writer but I can always be better so I can’t stop thinking about it when my work is being examined.

Anonymous

Didn’t Word have something similar to it now?

Anonymous

Try reading some books, scrote

Anonymous

Grammarly will not make you a better writer. It is beneficial for ESL-type people since it makes their writing at least freaking tolerable, but for anyone who isn’t scrotebrained it’s an unnecessary crutch which, if present, you will begin to rely on more and more and thus your writing without it will actually get worse as a result. My advice (if you really want to improve) is to read more and read work by good writers, for elements of both their diction and style will seep into your own writing – you’ll become more expressive, precise, and eloquent. It may sound a little suspicious but it worked for me.

Anonymous

What makes a good writer?
          My writing has only “improved” when I began writing the same way i talk. Which makes for bad writing but at least I can make it flow like a creek now.

Anonymous

>My writing has only “improved” when I began writing the same way I talk
            I did this, but the opposite. I began writing more eloquently and decided to make a habit of speaking in the same manner that I write. I began doing this a couple of years ago, and now I do-so effortlessly. Not using filler words such as ‘like" or "um" also results in people perceiving you as being far more intelligent than otherwise.

Anonymous

How do you make such a change?

Anonymous
                  Anonymous

Any recommendations for books to start with?
                  does it matter if it’s fiction or not?

Anonymous

Nothing specific, and no it doesn’t matter if its fiction or not. I would even say fiction is in some sense preferable, for non-fiction writers often just want to relay information and thus their writing often isn’t the best (absolutely not always the case, and reading non-fiction is a worthwhile investment, but I’m generalizing).
                    I have no idea what you have already read and where you stand as a reader generally – most scrotebrains haven’t read anything since high school (if that). Generally I would say to pick a subject area you like (if fiction, then what kind?, if non-fiction, when what area?) and to go from there – surely you have old book recommendations from friends and such that you can recall. In case you are completely lost, however, I would say start with some classics: Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Lermontov (I am Russian and thus biased :P), also Poe and Lovecraft are unironically great in terms of style and diction IMHO (if you’re into literary horror). Here’s a book with works by many great authors as well – (https://www.amazon.com/Golden-British-Short-Stories-1890-1914/dp/0141992204). If you’re into political theory Machiavelli, Plato, Aristotle, and Hobbes/Adam Smith are good starting points (if you’re feeling brave enough to read 17/18th century English for the latter two). Other than that there is a whole board on this shithole website dedicated to literature, I’m sure you can find more guidance there)

Anonymous

I began doing both simultaneously. Aside from listening to podcasts that happened to consist of articulate speakers, I began making a concerted effort to select the most suitable word in my vocabulary when speaking about things, rather than lazily using general adjectives like ‘huge’, ‘very”, "a lot", etc.

At first my speech was slightly less fluid and I would make errors that probably made me look like a bit of a pseud-, but developing a new habit has the cost of a period of discomfort. I did, and still do often check a thesaurus when I am composing a paper and have a word on the tip of my tongue but can’t quite think of it. I used a thesaurus a lot when I started, much less now however. Being precise in your speech has the added benefit of making you much more confident when advocating or arguing a particular point.

Anonymous

I have speech issues but it’s probably to late to see a therapist for that. I get what you’re saying but my mind often times doesn’t think about things before I say them only after I hear myself saying them out loud. So I am amazed that people can do this and not sound rehearsed in everything they say. Because sometimes you’ll hear people and you can tell what they’re saying sounds good but they either don’t understand or know what the hell they’re saying.

Anonymous

Granted there is an element of verbal intelligence at play to have fluent and precise speech, I do think it’s largely a matter of practicing though. If you vocabulary consists of filler words and imprecise speech, then that will be your default language when you speak. Slowly you can begin crafting your speech through habit to feature better vocabulary selection – eventually it will come naturally and your speech will continue improving as you integrate an increasingly large vocabulary. These things don’t happen overnight or without occasionally making blunders. Initially you might be premeditating (3-5 seconds before actually saying something aloud) but this will stop over time.tjk08

Anonymous

This, I did the same and it does wonders.

>not having neat writing is the same mentality that leads to behaving like a scrote
              The neatness of your writing is largely a product of your circumstances as a child. Whilst learning to write (time of peak neuroplasticity) and completing an extremely large quantity of repetitions (repeatedly writing in elementary school classrooms for many consecutive days). If you were an active kid with low IQ parents, chances are you didn’t put forth much time perfecting your writing, and when actually completing writing tasks, you were eager to finish and begin playing. Accordingly, I have developed generic ‘guy’ writing and I don’t care enough to devote time developing my writing style. I am currently effective, it is legible, and I am not an insecure scrote. The substance of my writing speaks for itself.

>If you were an active kid with low IQ parents, chances are you didn’t put forth much time perfecting your writing, and when actually completing writing tasks, you were eager to finish and begin playing.
              Who at the age of 5 wants to freaking sit there and write? I didn’t, and my handwriting isn’t neat, I never said it was. All I’m saying is that the cursive often results in neater handwriting than it would have been otherwise (was the case for me when I switched) and it’s not slower than print.
              >I don’t care enough to devote time developing my writing style
              This is my point – if your handwriting is shit it shows that you don’t care about what you’re writing (same it it’s too neat btw). There is a median, and there is a difference between "I’m writing fast so it won’t be very neat" and Jamal McDeshawn sitting in ENGL-101.

Anonymous

>Who at the age of 5 wants to freaking sit there and write?
                Very few. However, most parents who aren’t scrotes and/or low IQ will have the forethought to discipline their kid into taking such things seriously and completing it in a satisfactory manner. My parent’s didn’t express the mildest of cares that I didn’t complete my work sufficiently. The correlation that you noted between children with neat writing and academic attainment is largely a product of parenting (i.e. the parents that encourage their child to complete their work correctly will likely develop better writing and also are developing a more conscientious habit of completing their work.)

Anonymous

>What makes a good writer?
            Reading a lot of books. Digital stuff isn’t as great since the grammatical standard is much, much lower.

Anonymous

I take notes by hand it helps for you to actually understand what you’re studying.

Anonymous

I don’t take notes at all

Anonymous

What technology exists for lefthanded fountain pen users? I have an overhand/top style grip, I’ve tried writing from the bottom of the line but it’s impossible so I write from the bottom of the page to the top. Only way I can avoid smearing. Does anyone use blotting paper or is it a meme?

Anonymous

How do you people write without blotting ink all over the place?
      I always get ink on my hand and all over the paper as what I wrote hasn’t dried up yet

Anonymous

i took copious notes in school on everything, because i love the physical act of writing things and now i really like to type but i have nothing to take notes on. want to learn a language solely so i can have something to write about.

Anonymous

I keep a small note pad and pin in my front pocket. It has saved my ass because sometimes I have to sketch diagrams of for ports in the room. Or just take notes with lots of numbers, Mac address ect. Its just damn useful. I prefer moleskin brand, I have tried several different kinds,l and they seem to last the longest. Oh and phone note taking sucks.

Anonymous

I also like to jot down thoughts when I am bored. R8 my hand writing.

Anonymous

Im sorry. But is that considered cursive?
          I thought the letters had to all be connected

Anonymous

>is this considered cursive
            I think anon was just sharing his schizo ramblings for us to evaluate his neatness in printing. I would appraise the neatness as being average/slightly below average male writing.

Anonymous

>is this considered cursive
            I think anon was just sharing his schizo ramblings for us to evaluate his neatness in printing. I would appraise the neatness as being average/slightly below average male writing.

Really. I was hoping you would shit on me harder. I have really bad hand writing but it doesn’t really matter, my notes serve my purpose.

Anonymous

You don’t have bad hand writing man. Trust me. actually you don’t have to here’s a pic

Anonymous

my dad is far worse just writes pure scribbles and sometimes when i ask him to read what he wrote he doesnt even know but most of the time he knows which amazes me as it really is just pure freaking scribbles not even proper cursive

that image isnt in english though right? what language?

Anonymous

Sorry this

Portuguese. But I also do it in English. I can actually think and write better in it than in Portuguese. Lived both here and USA for a long time.

was for you.

Got a pic of your dads handwriting?

Anonymous

not sure if he would want me to supply his handwriting to a government run website so im unable to but its horrendous thats all you need to know

neat being able to do it in two languages wish i could even learn a second language but im too much of a brainlet

Give your sister the gift of nakadashi.

no just no

Anonymous

yes it is for some of it its like being a fast typist you’re usually a touch typist, but you may be fast while not being a touch typist

same premise just you’re still cursive writer, but somewhat scuffed doesnt completely ruin you if he wanted to write cursive completely he likely could but when you’re jotting down ideas its not always at a certain speed which can result in it looking different

I also like to jot down thoughts when I am bored. R8 my hand writing.

ngmi if you only heard about corona 3/12 when there was a shilled glowie general like mid January

Anonymous

I thought it was a nothing burger from the get go. I keep my old note books, it’s more like a personal note for myself/kids.

Anonymous

You keep them?
                Im planning on destroying mine after it’s full. I have nothing in it to revisit I only write things down as a way to clear my head and think about things or study by writing.
                Amazingly enough it does wonders as therapy.

My method is rip papers up into small pieces. Put them in a bucket with water for a few days let it soak then rip apart papers just by mixing the water by hand. Drain and toss in with domestic garbage.

Anonymous

I like to think I might need these notes someday. Maybe my grandkids will get a kick out of it.

Anonymous

I wonder what condition the paper and ink will be in say twenty years from now? why not take pics of them as backups?

Anonymous

>it’s more like a personal note for myself/kids
                you can’t actually be under any illusion that your kids are going to be interested in reading your ramblings or hastily written home project supply lists? Unless… your kids have inherited your demonstrably present schizophrenia?

Anonymous

it is actually neat to read writings like that from generations in the past. even if its trivial can give some context to the time period

Anonymous

Portuguese. But I also do it in English. I can actually think and write better in it than in Portuguese. Lived both here and USA for a long time.

Anonymous

Sir, this is LULZ, use common sense.
      We hate technology here.

Anonymous

Using the best tool for the job isn’t hating technology.
        Only going with a technology woke af solution for so much money when better options exist that are also much cheaper and produce better results is hive mind.

Anonymous

You won’t really learn anything unless you take notes on paper.

Anonymous

Do you guys have any notebooks to recommend?

Anonymous

Moleskins. I have tried most of the others including the redditer meme ones like field notes. I just buy mole skins at target. I made sure every polo and shit I wear has a front pocket. As for pens, I like metal zebra pens.

Anonymous

>polo
          Gross. If you’re guna wear a collared shirt, make sure it has sleeves. Any short sleeved shirt with a collar looks ridiculous.

Anonymous

I look good no matter what, plus it’s hot where I live.

Anonymous

Fair enough, I live in the cold of the north, so it’s flannels damn near year around.

Anonymous

These are great

Anonymous

Black n Red notebooks used to be great 5 years ago but some scrotebrained cunt decided they needed motivational quotes and smartphone utilization so they added weird squares to every single freaking page. Maybe enough people complained about it for them to go back? Might want to keep your eye on them, they are high quality and only 6 dollars a piece when on sale. That’s very cheap compared to other high quality brands. Moleskins can be as much as 20 dollars per notebook which is insane if you’re like me and need a different notebook for every little topic.

Anonymous

Here are articles on how someone takes his notes in University. (This guy is in a European university where you need to take the note verbatim to what the teacher says, we do not use textbooks in Europe; at least not in France.) It may be over-engineered but interesting.
      https://castel.dev/

Anonymous

you can’t draw detailed shit on a phone. good luck getting anything meaningful out of your random nikolai tesla autism moments without pen and paper

Anonymous

sir pls sir that will be 200 dollar plus 10 service fee a month to use your computer in your car sir pls this is needed for development of note app so you can write note in car thank you for understanding sir

blessings to you sir

Anonymous

I have a dokuwiki instance that I use for things I’ll want to refer to again (procedures, how-tos, etc) but that aren’t so oft-used that i want them in my brain, and I take handwritten notes for things like daily todo lists, notes during meetings, etc
      I also take handwritten notes for studying/learning as I find it helps me internalise

Anonymous

Pen and paper.

Anonymous

Mark down and latex
      /thread

Anonymous

everything digital because my handwriting is shit. i can also only write cursive so that makes it even worse

Anonymous

I use a drawing tablet with Xournalpp

Anonymous

i found a discarded notebook i use for note making.
      I got down ingredients for a killer chicken broth recipe and a flashpowder recipe

Anonymous

I keep a planner, which I fill out every morning by jotting down info for furture dates and deadlines as well as some personal goals for the day. I keep a journal of just sporadic notes or action items during meetings. I also set reminders on slack, Google calendar, and Gmail.

Anonymous

I considered getting a tablet to write notes in class because everyone in uni does that, but I barely understand my handwriting as it is so whatever

Anonymous

Too busy to reply to obsidian idiots but it’s called org mode and we’ve had it since the early 2000s. Enjoy reinventing the wheel, though.

Anonymous

I use my ink pens and diary for thinking, organizing and writing equations.
      Then i digitize them. Helps a lot. I cant seem to think without distractions when using my comouter, i guess i need a better environment.

Anonymous

xournal++ on a surface pro with loonix

Anonymous

In France everyone learnt cursive in kindegarten

Anonymous

Physically and i film the class

Anonymous

Org, mode boi

Anonymous

>app
      >simple text editor is an app now
      please get the fuck out of here

Anonymous

I try to use org mode amap, but math equations and bio diagrams are better off physical

Anonymous

Emacs org-roam, was gonna try org-brain but it’s too confusing, roam is comfy enough.

Anonymous

Saved this thread do archive.md, tbh.

Anonymous

kurutoga 4b lead on grid paper 200 page ringed notebooks. notes for literally every course. i write code down, i write algorithms down, i dont use anything digital because i dont trust it

Anonymous

>short/medium term stuff
      >brain
      >long term stuff
      >pen and paper

I like to write recipes and stuff on pen and paper. I think the only notes I keep digitally are my lifting stats because I have a spreadsheet to calculate my programming

Anonymous

i take notes, writing down shit on my phone makes them seem so unimportant. it also feels good to physically cross out things on your to do list.

Anonymous

i do everything pen & paper

Anonymous

https://i.4cdn.org/g/1634151435880.webm

My stack of paper cost 10$ and lasted me 2+ years.
      My mechanical pencil 10$ is 10 years old and consumed 1 stack of carbon tubes 0.5$ last year.
      I may not be able to search through my notes but most of them I throw away and the rest are bunched into packs so if I do need to search for something it’s just looking through 10-20 headlines. I have papers that I wrote 15 years ago though I do digitize anything that is really important.
      I also have 20+ years of hand-writing experience.

tl;dr I do take notes physically when I need to draw or when I want to SEE the note (because let’s face it you never check that todo list you have on your computer)

pic related a note taking software I wrote which I never use

Anonymous

I do markdown in a git repo with an alias that commits and pushes
      No need for more, don’t make things unnecessarily complex

Anonymous

Tiddlywiki is the way to go. Anyone that uses anything else is a literal brainlet.

Anonymous

I dump all my todo lists in a file called "todo" and tick them off. Also every single useful link and answer from searches goes in without organisation. This way I just grep the file for thoughts I’ve had along the way.

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.