Do we really need algorithm challenges in tech interviews?

Home Forums Science & tech Do we really need algorithm challenges in tech interviews?

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is he right? Do we really need algorithm autism on the interviews?

Anonymous

The purpose of the interview is to discover if you actually know anything, or if you lied about your entire resume. This guy probably lied about a few things.

Anonymous

Yes, if you’re a scrotebrain sub 3 digit IQ monkey you need to prove you’re good at memorization and slave labor, if you are intelligent you could do it on the fly.

Anonymous

So I suppose you just walked into the IOI and won a gold medal ?

Anonymous

filtered :^)

Anonymous

>6 years of experience in React & node.js
      YOU ARE THE REASON THE WEB IS SHIT

Anonymous

>YOU ARE THE REASON THE WEB IS SHIT
        he didn’t invent react or node. you should send your complaints to the incompetent and lazy scrotebrains that hire such scrotes and insist on using such cancerous frameworks for web development.

Anonymous

The web is cancer, legit is all bloated freaking pajeetware, is just extreamly scrotebrained, is not only those frameworks, all freaking frameworks suck right now, same as the web, we should go back to the internet.

Anonymous

>bragging about generating billions in revenue not for himself
      how do wagies cope with this?

Anonymous

>how do wagies cope with this?
        probably living comfortably on his $100k a year wage. coping just fine.

I work in construction and I’ve worked on billion dollar buildings but you won’t hire me to design one. lol.

usually the people that shovel shit all day are kept well away from engineering of any kind of structure, let alone know how to use a computer without setting it on fire.

Anonymous

>probably living comfortably on his $100k a year wage. coping just fine.
          t.

Anonymous

google accepted two of suggestions I’ve posted on github
        I guess I’ve made them billions of dollars

Anonymous

I work in construction and I’ve worked on billion dollar buildings but you won’t hire me to design one. lol.

Anonymous

Can you really be a senior software engineer if you have only 6 years of experience, and can you really call yourself an engineer of any kind, if your experience can be summarized with knowing React & node.js?
      i would hope that an ENGINEER can solve an algorithm challenge.

Anonymous

>ahMAD because he cannot understand algorithms

bruce3434

Still makes more money than you, how does it feel?

Anonymous

>makes more money than you
          Good for him
          >how does it feel?
          Indifferent, him making more or less money has no impact on my life.
          Do you feel something different?

Anonymous

>generated billions
      >hasn’t received even a cent from all of the profits
      Tell me again how capitalism is good for the workers. Wait, you can’t!

Anonymous

salaries are all about negotiation.
        if you want more money, go to your employer and tell him!

Anonymous

Too woke af for LULZ

Anonymous

>his spaghetti react code is what generated profits
        code monkeys are delusional

Anonymous

>Is he right LULZ?
      he is a scrotebrain and he just showed the world, typical scrotebrain with main character syndrom.
      >Do we really need algorithm autism on the interviews?
      I’ve done trillions of whiteboard interviews and always felt disappointed by the simplicity, the only time I had an hard time was for a glowie position where I had to use radare2 which I haven’t used before and it was a massive pain the ass.
      I already rejected offers because I found the engineers I met during the on-site interviews to be absolute scrotebrains and I don’t want to work with these people and I definitely don’t want to work with this entitled websubhuman.
      it’s about freaking time to focus on the engineer part of "software engineer", everyone can write software, not many can engineer good software, this kind of people are the reason we can’t have nice things.

Anonymous

Have sex.

Anonymous

cope harder websubhuman

Anonymous

I’m an SRE at a fintech actually. What do you do instead of seething one chink cartoon boards?

Anonymous

>What do you do instead of seething one chink cartoon boards?
              I write softwares and do a lot of CTF

Anonymous

>ctf
                I see you’re still in freshman year

Anonymous

So you’re a NEET. Cool.

Anonymous

Dilate chud. No one cares about your autistic code nitpicks.

Anonymous

>radare
        >whiteboard
        If you’re such a scrotebrain that you think using a reversing tool is the same as algorithmic problem solving then please dilate

Anonymous

Radare is pretty simple actually. You just proved you’re no better than the people you’re criticizing.

Anonymous

>Radare is pretty simple actually.
          first time I had to use it, without internet, without documentation and no gui
          >You just proved you’re no better than the people you’re criticizing.
          I’m used to ida pro and x64dbg alongside the trillions cli tools commonly used in ctf but not r2, I can’t know everything and even in the reverse engineering world it’s not used that much anyways.

Anonymous

You can’t read a man page? Must of been your first time using Linux too right?

Anonymous

>Must of
              Anything you say is worthless at this point you absolute freaking scrotebrain.

Anonymous

Imagine seething this much over a typo lol. You desperately need to have sex.

Anonymous

I think you’re being too harsh. You are right that the Twitter scrote has main character syndrome and is very likely lying about his resume. It isn’t even that impressive by any metric but I always fumble my whiteboard sessions because I just can’t stand people staring at me when I work despite finding the algorithms to pretty easy on their own. It’s not easy to concentrate when the thought of losing a valuable employment opportunity is looming in the background

Anonymous

>I just can’t stand people staring at me when I work despite finding the algorithms to pretty easy on their own. It’s not easy to concentrate when the thought of losing a valuable employment opportunity is looming in the background
          I’ve never had any issue with whiteboard interview, mostly because I’m never stressed, I could be naked in front of trillions of people I would be just fine and my heartbeat would be just fine

You can’t read a man page? Must of been your first time using Linux too right?

>You can’t read a man page?
          it was not installed
          >Must of been your first time using Linux too right?
          I’ve been using linux since 2008, my uni days were done on linux (15 000 pc at uni, all on debian) then I’ve only work on linux workstations and focused linux targets (servers and embedded)

Anonymous

>I’m never stressed, I could be naked in front of trillions of people I would be just fine and my heartbeat would be just fine
            Nice larp

Anonymous

there is nothing special about it, millions of people are like this

What uni?

https://www.univ-gustave-eiffel.fr/en
              OS was debian, DE was cinnamon
              some computers had windows in dual-boot too but for CS we never used it

We all know you would fold the moment you’re forced to speak to a female.

nope

So you’re a NEET. Cool.

no, I write softwares for a living

Anonymous

Imagine graduating from a no name private school that doesn’t even have a wiki page and having the nerve to call other people scrotebrains.

Anonymous

>private school
                  ???????????
                  >having the nerve to call other people scrotebrains.
                  Yes.
                  it would be too long to explain why and it would look like a massive cope but I highly recommend this university for
                  >java
                  >algebraic combinatorics
                  >image processing
                  >discrete geometry
                  >ML

Anonymous

Espèce d’autiste il est train de te troller. Arrête de répondre c’est humiliant à quel point t’es un mongol

Anonymous

speak english

Anonymous

What uni?

Anonymous

We all know you would fold the moment you’re forced to speak to a female.

Anonymous

there is nothing special about it, millions of people are like this
            […]
            https://www.univ-gustave-eiffel.fr/en
            OS was debian, DE was cinnamon
            some computers had windows in dual-boot too but for CS we never used it
            […]
            nope
            […]
            no, I write softwares for a living

>https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A9_Gustave-Eiffel
            >fondée le 1er janvier 2020
            (?)

Anonymous

the previous name
              https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A9_Paris-Est-Marne-la-Vall%C3%A9e

Cope harder. He works at Uber while you’re a NEET from a shitty state no name state school earning half of what he makes.

>He works at Uber
              lmao working at mutt pajeet factories is that a good thing now?
              >you’re a NEET
              I work at a company that makes satellites and other military equipments
              >a shitty state no name state school
              b-b-b-b-but I though the school did not matter?
              >earning half of what he makes.
              because life is cheaper in the first-world

Anonymous

Money is also stronger in first world, see USD vs Euro kek

Anonymous

I find ~47k/yr to be good money especially since I don’t live near a big city as I work near a military base in the woods in the middle of france.
                  I have the fiber and everything I need at less than 20km away.
                  I also know that my boss makes around 115k/yr and my slightly older dev coworkers make around 70k (I also know that I make more than the webdev in the team), I started there 6 months ago.

Anonymous

Cope harder. He works at Uber while you’re a NEET from a shitty state no name state school earning half of what he makes.

Anonymous

>webshit and using JavasScript on the server
      >Asked to sort some array of numbers
      >npm i sort-array
      >No Anon, I need you to write some JavaScript to do it
      >What??
      >Anon gets mad he had to write a nested for loop and failed
      >It must be the companies fault!
      >Added a flex about ‘billions’ of revenue rather because deep down he knows gluing code together isn’t really a skill
      Stay mad kid.

Anonymous

>get CS101 quiz question during interview
        >despite there being zero use case for rewriting a built in function for the company

Anonymous

>CS101
          >Zero use case.
          I agree Anon. For loops are scary. It’s best to just import at least half a gig of dependencies and ship hundreds of MB of JS to production rather than learn anything. Also fuck those security warnings on the dependencies. YOLO.

Anonymous

If he’s calling himself an "engineer" he should be able to engineer stuff, that includes knowing algorithms.

Things would be much easier if web coders accepted they’re just skilled laborers, like a welder or a bricklayer.

Anonymous

Yes, although it is cringe worthy that he backs his senior software engineering role with 6 years of react & node.js of all things, he is right. In many roles you don’t need that level of algorithm knowledge. You only really need two or three guys on the team that are incredibly skilled with math and algorithms. For the rest of the team I rather have guys who can write solid simple maintainable code and know how to not fuck up the architecture of the software we are building.

I rather work in a team that only consists of people who write good code, than a team that only consists of people who can solve algorithms really efficiently. Because in the first case we can hire a consultant to help us with the small specific parts to make the software. Where in the second case we have to outsource the whole project since we can’t make what we design.

Anonymous

Algorithm challenges select for either:
      a) high IQ individuals who can apply higher math concepts to problems they have not seen before on the fly and get the most optimal solution within 30 minutes while being bothered by the interviewer
      b) rote memorization scrotebrains

Only truly FAANG-like companies that are willing to pay FAANG-like salaries have any business trying to get people from category a. So yes, it’s a waste of time for most companies.

Anonymous

Dutchscrote here, got multiple high spec jobs in embedded systems and never had any coding or algorithm challenge. We just talk about industry stuff and what I did before and usually I was hired the next day with a trial period of a week
      Imagine choosing between a guy that spends alll this time doing stupid tiny puzzles that are already solved by thousands other midwits and a guy who had multiple impactful personal projects.
      I even know someone who said he had zero experience with the language they were using but showed genuine interest in the product. He was chosen over just sheer enthousiasm
      In the end, its all about networking and leaving a good impression

Anonymous

Americans don’t understand that if you nurture a friendly and collaborative environment your workers will be more productive. They’re brainwashed by years of %%%subjugation%%% into having this scrote cattle grind mentality

Anonymous

The internet isnt as bad as this site says it is. Most websites run pretty OK, plus we have wasm now and transpilers that optimize most of your spaghetti code. The reason it’s shitty it’s because of the massive amount of trackers they put in and the never ending aggressive pop ups asking you to accept their cookie policy

Anonymous

lol that is funny

Anonymous

>Do we really need algorithm autism on the interviews?
      Yes. It’s sets standards for who you are hiring and their abilities.

Anonymous

>standards
        Says who
        >abilities
        Imagine believing this. A better assessment would be a take home since it would reflect how you would deal with larger projects that span hundreds of lines of code.

Anonymous

It’s no surprise to me that people shilling for these tests are all zoomer cs grads who think they’re hot shit just because they could solve the entry level problems on leetcode. Whiteboards are nothing more than Trier stress tests designed to assess the mental resiliency of fresh interns who will be most surely underpaid and overworked. If you think this practice is OK than you’re no better than a scrote getri’g whipped and begging his master to be whipped some more out of sheer desire to prove Tom him his loyal servitude. Companies couldn’t give a lesser shit that you know how to reverse a binary tree lmao, you will get filtered anyway to make room for rajesh

Anonymous

Sorry for all the typos. Phoneposting.

Anonymous

It depends, algorithm questions can be really good, but in most cases it’s just an HR scrotebrain expecting you to memorize the implementation’s code.

Anonymous

Quite disappointed by all these posts tbh
      how many of you are really engineers? How can you expect to solve complex problem without understanding algorithms?
      without algos you’re literally just a code monkey

Anonymous

Sour grapes
        Skill requirement for web dev are very different from normal soft dev
        You can learn the skills on your free time if you really wanted the garden gnomeb but decided to complain on interwebs rereerree got filtered by algorithms

You’re not escaping from wagie cagie lmao
        Code monkey/data monkey/lab monkey we’re all monkeys

Anonymous

aren’t react and node.js just for front end webdev? who actually uses that shit for actual "software engineering"?

Anonymous

Node.js is back-end, React.js is front-end. If that’s all he knows then why isn’t anyone else rich?

Anonymous

Because normal people will be coding after some years. Coding is the new ‘office popular normie job’. When the stupid huge salaries on north america decay, then it will be chaos. People will discover the fraud

Anonymous

node is used for a lot of our front end build and deployment scripts

Node.js is back-end, React.js is front-end. If that’s all he knows then why isn’t anyone else rich?

you still need people that know how to write decent UI code or else you end up with a spaghetti monster that needs to be rewritten after 12 months and everyone is scared to touch. every BE or fullstack dev that tries react on our team because of how easy it seems will break the UI just by trying to update the margins, or format a date – its not even react or node specific stuff. literally just css and vanilla js

Anonymous

>yeah I made facebook no big deal
      >you can’t reject me because I’m stupid reeee!!!

Anonymous

Algo tests are woke af. Filter scrotebrains out of my org.

Anonymous

for webdev, yeah you really don’t need algorithmic knowledge nearly as much as you need framework knowledge

Anonymous

While I think whiteboard questions are gay, this guy is a scrote.
      >built products used by millions
      Yeah I’m sure you did. What did you do? Help write a few lines in a mass project done by several others? Fuck off, lying dipshit.

Anonymous

The point of an algorithm challenge isn’t to find people that are good at programming, it’s to find people with slave mentality.

Anonymous

how do algo challenges find slaves?

for webdev, yeah you really don’t need algorithmic knowledge nearly as much as you need framework knowledge

ive seen dumb fucks turn manipulating data into n^n complexity. and most dont understand the basic front end design patterns, like pub/sub

Anonymous

not saying it doesn’t help, but on day one if you’ve got a bootcamp shitter who has three months of experience in your tech stack vs. a c programmer who can invert a binary tree in his sleep but has never heard of react… the boot camp shitter is going to be more useful in the short term. the c guy could be trained up to be much better, but its not worth the investment since he could just turn around and quit anyday

Anonymous

The deal is that the more common the bootcamper shitter is in our line of work, the more the ‘work conditions’ will deteriorate (eg salary, benefits)

Anonymous

>6 years with react
      should he be architecting the front end at this point?

Anonymous

I’ve interviewed with several san fran companies that offered 100+k salaries and their whiteboard tests were practical challenges usually with some string manipulation. I notice more and more companies not bothering with algo shit.

Anonymous

>100k in san fran
        >not a challenging interview
        you were getting undercut in that market

Anonymous

>generated billions in revenue
      >still needs a job instead of starting his own company
      I wonder what’s the issue, maybe he’s just a scrotebrained webshit that nobody needs

Anonymous

It’s so funny that you can immediately tell apart people who "get" programming from the scrotebrains who copy/paste from SO and npm install everything, with a simple algo test or basic low level OS question. I love seeing front-end scrotebrains get filtered and seethe.

Anonymous

>look at all of this EXPERIENCE
      Experience is bullshit. Either you’re a scrotebrain or you aren’t. In this case, he is.

Anonymous

If the algorithm is relevant to what you will be developing then yes, the interview should have an algorithm challenge. An arbitrary algorithm challenge, to me, shows the interviewer doesn’t actually understand what the company is developing.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id