Do I have to believe in Noah’s Ark in order to believe in God?

Home Forums General & off-topic Do I have to believe in Noah’s Ark in order to believe in God?

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do I have to believe in Noah’s Ark in order to believe in God?

Like … if I am having a hard time convincing myself that pic related actually happened … what should I do?

Anonymous

It’s all metaphorical. In Revelations, a single beast will represent one nation.

Anonymous

>It’s all metaphorical.
        Cope.

Anonymous

Here’s a metaphor for you bud

explain how he got every animal on his boat then

Anonymous

Not sure. Maybe ask damn near every ancient culture who has the same story. A guy predicts a deluge, builds a boat while being ostracized for being prepared for the worst, and survives while everyone else dies. Personally, I think this same phenomenon happened in many places. Obviously, Noah is plagiarized from the Enuma Elish. Finally, I think many many animals were not saved, and the flood isn’t as ubiquitous as the Bible leads us to believe. It didn’t happen everywhere, just where people were "wicked", or "cross breeds of watcher and woman".

Anonymous

For reference to my earlier comment
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

Anonymous

I don’t have every answer but I know that Bible is truth

it’s genetic material. That’s how he did it. The patriarchs in Genesis weren’t people, they were nations. Years were generations. "Adam" in Hebrew means "Mankind" and Eve means "living". Adam was the first nation-state to emerge, when humanity was small and still one.

Anonymous

could you extend on this point please? is it there any source or documentation to follow this stream of ideas? sounds appealing to me

Anonymous

>source: trust me

Anonymous

I don’t have every answer but I know that Bible is truth

Anonymous

>I don’t have every answer but I believe that Bible is truth
              FTFY.

Anonymous

Just answer me one question, did you type that all out or copy paste and change one word?

Anonymous

cool story bro

Anonymous

>wikipedia called it a myth so it must be true, it is a myth

Anonymous

Fiction (or exaggeration from a real Sumerian event).
            The thing is, if the Bable is literal truth, then you don’t get to pick and choose which things are metaphorical and which are literal.

Anonymous

>then you don’t get to pick and choose which things are metaphorical and which are literal.
              You use a magical thing called common freaking sense, even the stories of the New Testament are remixed from the truth so that they can fit in more easily with the esoteric meaning

Anonymous

It is recorded that he lived to be 950 years old. a boat of that magnitude wouldn’t be possible with that much time and God instructing him.

Anonymous

>possible
              *impossible

Anonymous

something like this

Anonymous

Look, not that I believe it’s litteral, but if god wanted to he could just use magic okay?
            Like Harry Potter, and it being bigger on the inside, or 2d extended geometry like mid 90s “”3d”” (except being 3D extended)
            He could also masicly have all the animals reach the ark.
            It’s not really that hard to image, most modern theologians think god could do anything, including something that conterdicts it’s own existence,

Anonymous

[…]
          >nooo you dont understand, these gnomish tales are just metaphorical while this ones are literal and you will burn forever if you disagree

Triggered

Anonymous

Anonymous

When one omniscient claims that something else isn’t, you have a falsifiable hypothesis.

Anonymous

>falsifiable hypothesis
        Careful with that scientific language. LULZ frowns upon such things.

Anonymous

>has a hard time believing one of the only parts that isn’t bullshit
      ngmi

Anonymous

Anyone who takes the Bible as literal historical fact and not esoteric allegories is a fool.

Anonymous

>Anyone who takes the Bible as literal historical fact and not esoteric allegories is a fool.
        I don’t know, anon. The punishment for not believing is pretty severe, so.

Anonymous

The punishment for lack of knowledge is ignorance

Anonymous

That in of itself is very telling. Church authorities are corrupt and have always prompted fundamentalism as a method of control, if people stood back and read between the lines they wouldn’t need priests and the like.

Anonymous

People always talk about the punishment for failing to believe in certain (obviously allegorical) things as literal fact, but what about the moral implications of forcing yourself to do and believe ridiculous things out of fear of punishment by a tyrannical authority figure? Look at the world around you – have you noticed that everyone is being ruled by corrupt political authorities and their money, and that nobody takes a stand against it? Maybe it’s a lesson from God worth paying attention to, for those who can listen. Compliance with evil is wrong, too, and telling everyone they have to believe in an allegorical story as literal fact on threat of eternal damnation is pretty freaking evil.

Anonymous

Underrated. This you’s for (you)

Anonymous

>The punishment for not believing is pretty severe, so.

1) What punishment are you referring to?
          2) Where is it written that belief in a literal telling of the story of Noah is required to avoid that punishment?

Anonymous

Anyone who takes the Bible as literal historical fact and not esoteric allegories is a fool.

It’s all metaphorical. In Revelations, a single beast will represent one nation.

>nooo you dont understand, these gnomish tales are just metaphorical while this ones are literal and you will burn forever if you disagree

Anonymous

>you will burn forever if you disagree
            Strawman, we never say that you will burn in hell if you disagree since non-literalists don’t tend to be scrotebrained fundamentalists – we simply claim that you are mentally scrotebrained if you disagree

Anonymous

Same thing happened to me when I was younger.
      I actually have this regret,
      I argued with an ex about the bible being fake and christianity being a lie because the ark doesn’t explain the possibility of old virus’s and certain disease and such surviving the flood….

Now that I’m older I still regret having that conversation, but it was more complicated then I realized. I’ve come to the part where I still think christianity is to some extent not the big truth, but I also think the reasons I said the ark wasn’t real are stupid- they are mostly because I was just swallowing whatever school taught me without even asking questions.

So, it’s a little regretful and embarassing. mostly because the way I went about it.

Anyway, the TL;DR is that if you think the ark didn’t happen, you are doubting the flexibility and power of god to manifest basically whatever it wants, is my guess.
      There should to no extent be any rules that prevent reality from being the same as someones imagination, despite what rules are placed on it by god. So to say you don’t believe it happened doesn’t matter- the point would be that it could have easily happened by sheer will of God, and that’s probably enough to have whatever you actually believe not get in the way.

But I’m sure the christians on the board won’t like what I just said. Or really much of anyone, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose

Anonymous

>Anyway, the TL;DR is that if you think the ark didn’t happen, you are doubting the flexibility and power of god to manifest basically whatever it wants, is my guess.
        No. That is not the argument at all. The argument is that the Ark makes no sense, the same way a square circle makes no sense or "Can God make a rock He cannot lift?" makes no sense. It is meaningless to ask Him to manifest anything when what you are asking for is a logical contradiction in terms.

Anonymous

You think the story of the arc happening or not is the same thing as a square circle?
          I think maybe you might just be a shill.

It’s a story about a thing that hypothetically happened. If it’s something seemingly impossible, that makes it no different than a childrens fantasy story. To make a childrens fantasy story real, if you have the power of basic manifestation, is no different than to imagine the story itself. You don’t read
          "Redwall" and say "this mouse can’t talk, otherwise a circle is square"

I definately don’t see anything about the story of noah’s ark that’s a contradiction of terms. I think you just made that up so you can get "you’s" and your real job/goal is just to harass people

Anonymous

>You think the story of the arc happening or not is the same thing as a square circle?
            Yes. I think the idea of fitting all the world’s animals onto a boat is so utterly nonsensical that it cannot be made sense out of. It is mathematically impossible. Hence, it is in the same category as a square circle, proving that 2 + 2 = 5, storing more in a container than that container can contain, and other impossible demands. No amount of fantasy or imagination can give reality to a logical contradiction in terms.
            >I definately don’t see anything about the story of noah’s ark that’s a contradiction of terms.
            There are too many species on Earth to be contained on a boat. That’s one. Another problem is that some species eat other species. Some species are obligate carnivores; they must eat meat to survive. So how would they be fed?

Anonymous

I think you’re just as confused as the people who believe the story. Animals of the earth are what he gathered. Not of the sky or sea, should be noted. He would have only gathered the beasts that walk upon the earth that were known to him, since the only account of any of this would be from him. He didn’t gather buffaloes and kangaroos. He gathered up his livestock and the rest of the beasts came to him. Animals are known to be aware of future calamity, and they behave differently with each other in shared crisis.

Anonymous

>Animals of the earth are what he gathered.
                Yes. But many different species of animals of the earth are there? It is a staggering number. That is the mathematical problem right there — it simply is not possible to fit them all onto a boat.
                >Not of the sky or sea, should be noted.
                Good, because that would increase the numbers even more.
                >He didn’t gather buffaloes and kangaroos.
                It should be noted that the kangaroos were living on a geographically isolated continent, so they had no way to reach him in any case. The same would hold true of, e.g., llamas. Yet, somehow, kangaroos and llamas must have survived the flood, since they are here now.

It doesn’t make sense, is what I am saying. The story just doesn’t make sense. If you try to make sense out of it, you just get more nonsense. In fact, it is difficult to even talk about it without annoying people, because people have a tendency to think that the nonsense is just an elaborate attempt at harassing them.

That’s not what I am doing here. I am showing that taking the story to be true inevitably leads to nonsense and nonsensical conclusions, because the story itself is flawed. The story cannot be made sense of, and any attempt to make sense of it will, inevitably, produce nonsense. That is because the story cannot possibly be true.

Anonymous

Yeah. I think you are just deliberately not using your imagination.

You can question whether or not it was possible, that’s fine, but that’s not the same as questioning if it’s imaginable.
              The whole planet is already a spaceship, but you can’t imagine a boat big enough to carry a fraction of it’s contents?
              That makes no sense. What you’re really saying is that since the shot glass in your kitchen only holds 1 ounce of liquid, that it would be a logical impossibility for any cup or glass to hold 16 ounces, especially if you’ve never seen it.

That’s honestly what I’m getting out of what you’re saying. Just imagine a larger boat, homie.

Look, I get it, you don’t think the ark story is possible given the rules or your materialistic upbringing. That’s cool homie.
              But it that’s going to prevent you from believing in a God, one that theoretically has the ability to make things happen physically the same way we can imagine them,
              you’re being a goofball. Just imagine a bigger boat. There you go.

Just imagine smaller animals. Imagine less of them! Imagine that they all understood what was going on and filed in together and made peace, like under hypnosis.

You want to know that the actual logical impossibility is that you’re running into?

Lies. You want to know why I know?
              Because I said the literal exact same shit to someone before, and now that I’ve thought about it, I realize the only reason I didn’t believe the ark story was because it didn’t fit in to the version of the world my science and high school engineering teachers gave me.

You want to know what the lie is? That we can’t have both.

Go plug in Grand Theft Auto and race a car off a ramp into the sea. It falls downwards right?
              It would be impossible from within the game to imagine that the car would continue to fly upwards. Like a square circle!

Then go download some mods and make it do exactly that.
              Go buy mods that let you drive infinite cars out of the same garage- poof, problem solved.

Anonymous

>Just imagine a larger boat, homie.
                The measurements of the Ark are given in Genesis 6:14: "The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits." Genesis 6:15 describes the Ark as having "lower, second, and third stories".

That is the size of the thing as described in the story. It’s not much. It is a whole lot less than the Titanic, for example.

Anonymous

>The measurements of the Ark are given in Genesis 6:14:
                  the sumerian story is older, more precise and realistic… it has been tested. Get in line, your shitfaced story was copied by pleb rtards.

Anonymous

(loosely) woke af on a true story

Anonymous

I don’t doubt that floods have happened, anon. It is the whole animals-in-an-ark part I am having trouble with.

Anonymous

It is possible that the pre-deluge world was more technologically advanced than we imagine. "2 of each animal" may refer to DNA sequences stored in a database.

Anonymous

It’s not ALL species. It’s all kinds. Why would you take full grown animals instead of babies?

Anonymous

You dont need to believe in a specific story to believe in God but if you want to understand scipture you need to read it with the mental lens of homily allegory or metaphor. a literal interpretation will cause you to be taken for a brainlet by most religious people.

Anonymous

>a literal interpretation will cause you to be taken for a brainlet by most religious people.
        I had to read your post twice to be sure that I had understood it correctly. It could just as well be argued that the opposite is true: that not taking the Bible literally is what will get you shunned from religious society.

What does it even mean to regard the Bible as the Word of God? If it is the Word of God, then how can you regard the story of Noah’s Ark as anything but the literal truth?

And if you don’t believe it is, then what does it even mean to believe?

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I don’t think Noah actually collected every animal. He collected every animal he was aware of maybe. If you don’t know something exists, can you really fail to collect it? That is unless God told him about every animal on the planet and described it with such accuracy that it we be impossible to mistake or forget it.

Anonymous

>HE JUST CLOBBERED THE ONES THAT WERE TO BE FORGOTTEN!

Anonymous

This is the one thing you have trouble believing?

Anonymous

I see two options:
      EIther it’s an actual story but over time condensed into hyperbole in the sense that Noah somehow managed to get two of each domesticated animals known to his people (aka, two cows, two goats, two sheep, two geese, and maybe some other smaller ones) onto a large transport barge before the water picked them up and dropped them off at a mountain thus saving ALL the animals. It’s hyperbole.
      OR if you believe in the ancient astronaut theory it could have been code for dna samples taken from all animals and the planet being reseeded after the flood but I personally think option one is the most likely one as the global flood probably happened around 11K years ago and the Annunaki were long gone at that point.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/jXgqUXe.gif

>Do I have to believe in Noah’s Ark in order to believe in God?

Watch Jonathan Pageau

Anonymous

Check out the Kent Hovind seminars

Anonymous

look into hoaximals. apes and zebras and pandas are some obvious ones. there are more like platypus and gw and hammerhead sharks. "mandanimals". "newly discovered".
      also "real" animals that are actually chimeras that shouldn’t exist, like monkeys, pigs, hyenas, giraffes, etc. i think some abomination animals are from the distant past.

Anonymous

Noahs ark has evidence for existence such as a cuneiform tablet with instructions to build it. An English professor recreated the ark through the instructions and it worked. Now whether or not EVERY animal today is resultant from the ark is understandably arguable.

Anonymous

There is actually 2 stories of the biblical flood.

Anonymous

I think some scientist found Noah’s arc
      Look it up on YouTube

Anonymous

Not literally, it’s a metaphor like the other parts of the Old Testament

Anonymous

No, you only need to believe in Jesus Christ.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/dMSjgarden gnome.jpg

>what should I do?

Probably realize that anyone who says that Noah literally had a pair of every animal, instead a pair of every farm animal is a complete freaking scrotebrain, a simpleton, or a perfidious liar willing to perpetuate an obvious lie, and engineering and logistical impossibility, so long as it puts a few more shekels in their pocket.

Anonymous

If you follow Christ’s path,

Noah’s Ark is soteriological and not necessarily literal. The story, even if it didn’t happen, is mean to teach you that blindly following the world and not seeking higher truths leads to your destruction, and to not be disalarmed when it can be lonely at points – for only a few got onto Noah’s Ark while the wickedness of the earth perished.

Anonymous

Faith is a lived experienced rooted in love of God and love of your neighbor, not blind dogmatics where if you aren’t 100% correct you are damned to the inferno

Anonymous

Noah’s name is also Untapishtim, and the stories diverge on the reason for the Flood. "Worldwide" means the closed in area that these people understood to exist, There was a real flood that was serious, but you can take it as Mythology – a representation of a "moral" story.

Anonymous

Imagine the Ark as a generation ship built to save an entire planets worth of genetics. Makes more sense then.

Anonymous

We have the exact dimensions of the Ark, the number of kinds of animals, so woke af on all that, it makes complete sense. Why is it hard to believe?

Anonymous

Translated from cubits to the imperial system:
        the ark could have been up to 550 feet long, 91.7 feet wide and 55 feet high.
        That seems to be enough for two of every kind.

And keep in mind every species split off from these animals too, meaning there wouldn’t need to be every specific type of a certain animal. Every type of elephant, dog, horse, etc all speciated outward rather than "evolved" like evolutionists would have you think. The genetic potential was already present in their genome from the start, in case they had to adapt to an environment, which explains things like Arctic foxes and certain butterflies with their amazing wing patterns that resemble eyes and whatnot.

Anonymous

The flood could have never happened as God can’t go against his own laws. If he really killed all the world population with a flood He would be a very big sinner.
      The Ark story is just an allegory explaining that God knows that men are evil, however He will not act on Earth to destroy humans.

Anonymous

God said THOU shalt not kill. She can do whatever she wants.

Anonymous

Wrong; it’s "Thou shalt not murder." (within the tribes) goyim are fair game.

Anonymous

‘Power makes Pure as the wind driven snow!’ Your God can do whatever the hell He wants and He’s still considered to be "Righteous" by the imbeciles who obey his every Word…

Anonymous

He killed the world’s population out of justice. They’re were only evil continually, and were never going to repent. If he had not flooded the earth, he would’ve just left everyone, even Noah to die in the process, as evil would continue en mass. Think like putting something out of it’s misery. It had to be done.

Anonymous

That’s not the case at all.
          No matter how you see it, if He caused even a single death of a human voluntarily he would be a sinner. Not even taking in account that the flood would’ve killed babies and other innocent people as well. But Scripture tells us he can’t sin.
          The flood never happened, also the situation you are describing in your post is literally the world how it is right now.

Anonymous

How is he killing them if they end up in heaven later?.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

The story of the ark, like every single story in the Bible, is allegory and personification. Let me give you the rundown:

You, your mind, your spirit, is Noah. Water in the Bible represents truths about the world you live in. Are we not, even today, flooded with news and stories and information about how the world is supposed to be? The "waters" rise, and you could drown in them, except that you are told to build an ark.

Now, the word "ark" means vessel. Most take it as meaning a boat. But the word also means "coffin", where you lay down in "death", which is really "sleep", and are carried away.

So you build a "vessel" to carry you above the rising waters of physical truth. You take with you the things necessary to rebuild the world that you know of before these truths drown them: seeds, plants, animals, all of Creation. They exist, along with your mind (represented by Noah), in this vessel/coffin, which is the place your spirit resides in "sleep", and what is that place but your very own body?

Eventually, a dove (the Holy Spirit of God) brings you good news (the Gospel, the sign that God is with you), the waters reside, and what is left but your body (the Ark) which contains your spirit (Noah) and all the things necessary to build the world (Creation) anew?

It’s metaphor. Your body is the Ark, and you are to float above the storm that is the material world and its circumstances, it cannot touch you, and when it has passed, you have all you need within you to make the world as you choose.

The lesson is simple, and repeated throughout the Bible:
      >Be not afraid. Only believe. Emmanuel, which means "God walks with us." He ever has, and He ever shall, for I and my Father are One, and my Father and your Father are the same Father.

Anonymous

thats some dumb bibletards shit

Anonymous

The bible, and in fact basically all religious text, is not meant to be literally true in a scientific fashion. It is true in a deep poetic sense that humans completely understood for all of humans history. People within the last few hundred years have been made stupid by learning only about the material world and forgetting their oral traditions. We’ve basically lost abstract concepts of truth as a culture.

Anonymous

Every "christian" interprets the bible differently. Only same bit is that they’re all gullible scrotebrains.

Anonymous

This is one of the more likely to be credible ones since it appears in Andean and Chinese myth as well. All the animals? No. Everyone died besides Noah? No. He was just a G2a Sumerian male named Utnapishtim and was one of the founders of Uruk (Erech).

Anonymous

Yes, being scrotebrained is a hard requirement. You can’t skip it.

Anonymous

My earliest recurring and visual memories are of myself on a teak barge shaped like an egyptian riverboat skimming several feet above the water over a primordial landscape and sea that was uninhabited along with a female.

We had no mouths and it felt as if we were the only humans or living creatures.

I’ve had this same recurring vision 1000’s of times since I was 3 years old.

El Arcón

The Time Travel Interpretation of the Bible
      https://vixra.org/abs/2104.0068
      We describe the Biblical work of ages as a time travel program for saving humanity from extinction. God’s existence is proven as a consequence of the existence of time travel, which is supposed. We present the case that Abraham’s grandson Jacob, also called Israel, is Satan. We make the case that the Israelites are described as God’s chosen people in the Bible despite their identity as the children of Satan because God’s Messiah is descended from Abraham through Satan. They are chosen as the ancestors of the Messiah rather than as Satan’s children. We propose an interpretation in which God commanded Abraham to kill his son Isaac to prevent Isaac from becoming the father of Satan. We suggest that God stayed Abraham’s hand above Isaac because preventing the existence of Satan would also prevent the existence of Satan’s descendant the Messiah. The history of the Israelites is summarized through Jesus and Paul. This paper is written so that the number of believers in the world will increase..

Anonymous

The Great Flood is another gnostic fabrication, we only have evidence of the Mudflood Reset which happened in the last 100 years or so.

Anonymous

The Noah’s ark story predates any monotheism.

Anonymous

>Like … if I am having a hard time convincing myself that pic related actually happened … what should I do?
      1) Realize that pic related is the "cute-is-more-important-than-accurate" story female Sunday school teachers will show children. Read it in the Bible in stead. Try to read it without being influenced the "cute" images from your head.
      2) Have a look at https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/

Anonymous

The Old Testament was heavily influenced by Sumerian mythology that was co-opted by the Babylonians. The Sumerians believe that a Great Flood happened. They even have a story of it mentioned int he Epic of Gilgamesh that is strongly reminiscent to the story of Noah in Genesis. Realistically, the Great Flood could have been a bunch of flooding from the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

Anonymous

Isn’t it originally from girugamesh or something?

Anonymous

No
      Short answer.
      Just believe the gospels (mark, Matthew, Luke, John.)

Anonymous

It was common practice in the ancient world to use an event (or memory of an event) and retell it in a figurative way to communicate a message to the hearers. There is good scriptural and historical evidence that the Flood story is an interpretation of an actual historical event retold in the rhetoric and theology of ancient Israel.
      interpret the Flood story comes from its place in the book of Genesis and specifically in the “primeval narratives” of Genesis 1-11.
      Biblical scholars almost universally see these chapters as having a different purpose than the rest of the book of Genesis. The primeval narratives cover a huge swath of cosmic history and are highly figurative in their language. They serve as the grand and poetic “introduction” to the story of God’s people which commences with the call of Abraham in Genesis 12.

Anonymous

I believe in Noah’s Ark.

Anonymous

Reminder that the global flood most definitely happened around 12k years ago when for unknown reason the oceans rose and swallowed around 100miles of coastline of all continents probably through some sort of tectonic shift caused by an unknown force. Big cities are usually built on coasts and only rural mountain folks survived drastically reducing the world population and probably also setting humanity back technologically.
      Regarding Noah: they did find a boat on top of Mount Ararat I believe which could be connected to the Noah story

Anonymous

atheists are so cringe

Anonymous

Why are there so many christcuxks floodingLULZ now? /poo/ branching out because they can’t handle reality anymore?

Anonymous

>subtle appeal to authority and majority

Anonymous

Answer the question, migatard.

Anonymous

>they can’t handle reality anymore?
        What reality, a one that you faithfully believe?
        Pot calling kettle black, hypocrite that you are.
        Reddit is that way, feel free to go back.

Anonymous

Flood did happen though

Anonymous

>bible stories I like are literal
      >bible stories I don’t are metaphorical
      Why the fuck are you people like this

Anonymous

>bible stories about specific people are metaphorical
        >bible stories that don’t rigidly fit my perception of reality are misunderstood/transcribed

is how I feel about it

Anonymous

He also lived 950 years

Anonymous

You don’t know where they started, so you don’t know where they ended. Your understanding of what earth is … isn’t
      captcha: yy2jj

Anonymous

God is real but the bible is mostly nonsense.

Anonymous

Sounds like a spaceship to me

Anonymous

Why has no one suggested the possibility that Noah was a zoo keeper or lived near a zoo? We know the global flood of +10k years ago was real, and we also know that the Book of Genesis is an oral tradition passed down for unknown millennia before being recorded, as it is extremely basic compared to every other book in the bible. Thus, really anything goes as long as it generally aligns with the tale. Fuck, for all we know, there could have been some great movie that was well known across the world before a major cataclysm and a fictional tale was accidentally passed down as fact to unknowing generations. Even the ancient Hawaiians know the first man is Adam and have a flood story. Antediluvian man was not living in a cave, i can say that for sure.

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.