Can you do something cool with serial ports or are they just vestigial relics at this point?

Home Forums Science & tech Can you do something cool with serial ports or are they just vestigial relics at this point?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What can I do with one of these?

Anonymous

Cum in it

Anonymous

talk to serial devices like switches

Anonymous

what kind of switch?

Anonymous

managed network switches

Anonymous

Nintendo

Anonymous

nothing

Anonymous

t. zoomie

Anonymous

Look closely above the pins…
      "10101"
      What could this mean?

Anonymous

Anonymous

lolol ur wrong kiddo

Anonymous

I always thought those were plates and cutlery

Anonymous

ANYTHING
      It’s like an USB, just slower. Also, plug and play, not full duplex though.

Anonymous

You can use some old and niche joysticks, besides that, it’s borderline useless nowadays.

Anonymous

donate it to a museum

Anonymous

Stick your dick in it

Anonymous

Get a 56k modem and dialup to the internet like God intended.

Anonymous

Connect a serial mouse to it.

Anonymous

Lots of automotive shit with the right adapter cables. I need to get one to hook my beemer up to my thinkpad for a little diagnostics.

Anonymous

>having a modern cuckbox that has this kind of "diagnostics"
        my car just has a socket where you short out two pins with a wire and then it blinks the CEL in a morse code (or some sort of blink code) pattern and you look up the blinks and that tells you the problem. It just werks. I haven’t even needed to use it yet.

Anonymous

A lot of devices use that connector for RS-232.
      Control systems can send out remote commands to a network of hardware devices.
      eg. – Press a button on a touchscreen, and all TV’s in the wing of a hospital turn on, and all the audio amplifiers switch their source to the output of your PC.
      Some professional studio equipment refers to that as the "SONY 9-pin," and it’s used to connect transport peripherals to linear multitrack devices.
      People like to think it’s a dead technology, but those people are both wrong and scrotebrained.

Anonymous

Like USB, but sending data is absically as easy as reading and writing to a file.
      You can use this to talk to many devices in plain text, like oscilloscopes.

Anonymous

I have a serial console set up on my home server and the computer I use as a router. Has saved me a lot of trouble since if something fucks up I can log in and look at it without having to move the machines out from under the desk or stuff a video card into them to hook up a monitor.

Anonymous

i forgot my router has a serial port. the only problem is that it’s in a different room and i’m not about to lay a fat serial cable just for that.

Anonymous

Hook up a vt220 and have a fallback for when your GPU does a lockup.

Anonymous

that would be nice, if i could afford one.

Anonymous

You can bit-bang any data into and from any device of your liking, even self built ones. I built a serial EEPROM programmer just for learning purposes.
      Important thing though is, Windows XP is the last OS that works with them, everything after that is not able to properly time the bitstream. Works on Linux though.

Anonymous

>this poorly written software is bad because it was OOP, not because it was shit code

Anonymous

A lot of dev boards have them because you just open a comport in software and literally stream bits back and forth, no packet or network stack bullshit. Also latency on them is really good.

Anonymous

Program for a commercial laserdisc player

Anonymous

install gentoo on it

Anonymous

Connect your multimeter to your PC

Anonymous

Play some starcraft 1 with your bros

Anonymous

lOlOl

Anonymous

band name claimed, do not steal

Anonymous

Debug OS and drivers via a 2nd PC.

Anonymous

If you have to ask, then you dont need it

Anonymous

RS232 is one the most popular communication interfaces. It’s used in so many industries when you need to bidirectional data over a relatively long distance. Heck I almost used it in my audio DSP project where the arduino needed to communicate to a control circuit that was many meters away. Modern motherboards don’t have this port anymore because USB basically replaced it. But that doesn’t mean RS232 is dead. In applications where you only need a few hundred kilohertz of bandwidth over some meters, it is a cheap and reliable way to get it done.

Anonymous

Most modern motherboards still have it, but only as a pin header on the motherboard.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id