Can programmers make a good UI?

Home Forums Science & tech Can programmers make a good UI?

Viewing 87 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Can programmers make a good UI?

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

No, but it’s obvious that the UI on the top is doing something fundamentally more complex. Extremely dishonest comparison.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>Extremely dishonest comparison
        not really, since the more complex GUI still manages to look less disorganized than the "pretty" one

Anonymous

The complexity of any software can be sufficiently abstracted with UI. A lot can be simplified with the top example. The programmers just need to end their life.

Anonymous

are you saying the bottom one looks more usable to you than the top?

Anonymous

Both are usable. The bottom example is just limited.

Anonymous

This. Pic related is doing the same as Bulk Rename Utility, yet you’re not overwhelmed with gorillions of inputs the moment you start the program. First you select what you want to do from the clean tidy list, and only then you will see the options to adjust what you want to do. Not all imaginable options at once, that’s just dumb and unnecessary.

Anonymous

Honestly, that one feels like one of these semi-useless freeware and shareware programs you’d find bundled with thousand other 200kb programs on a CD of a magazine back in 2000’s.

[…]

The top one looks just confusing, while the bottom one looks as if it was going to ask me for ransomware money any moment.

Why can’t there be a middle point?

Anonymous

Yeah, not gonna argue with that, but the difference is it actually does its job.

Anonymous

The top one is just a utility to rename files in bulk.

Anonymous

Top one is a very useful and versatile software BRU is awesome

Bottom one scream malware/scamware

Anonymous

I prefer the top one, it’s very straight forward

Anonymous

sovl

Anonymous

and in the end they only use 5% of those buttons. hell most of the time the plane flies itself

Anonymous

That’s a space shuttle scrotebrain

Anonymous

You’ve never flown a plane.

Anonymous

meticulously laid out by interface designers, not programmers or engineers.

Anonymous

GREP command GUI, quick and simple
      Scam App for Apple Users and awful UX disguste with fancy design.

>Can programmers make a good UI?
      If read UX/UI books

Anonymous

you dont know what simple means. hint: it doesnt mean exposing 4000 buttons and sliders and input boxes

Anonymous

Personally, I find that working with a UX designer helps a lot, I always acquire insights and tips from him that improve my design skills in general, as he makes me think on the overall user experience. Also, researching about UX in general helps me as a programmer to not want to fuck with the user’s happiness.

Anonymous

only sane person itt

Anonymous

UI and """""""""""UX"""""""""""" designers all get the rope

Anonymous

seething, cope and rope!

Anonymous

Why would you compare an UI with lots of functionality with one with little? Seems a bit dishonest.

Anonymous

No, but it’s obvious that the UI on the top is doing something fundamentally more complex. Extremely dishonest comparison.

The funny part is the bottom UI actually does more. Top is a colossally bloated renaming utility. The bottom is system cleaner, a tool that is almost too featureful. The top one just seems "fundamentally more complex" because its developers arent good at UI design, while the bottom feels simple because its developers do. It’s all a question of how you choose to render that complexity for the user.

Anonymous

The top one is just a utility to rename files in bulk.

The user input required for that is where the complexity comes from.

Anonymous

>system cleaner
          >more complex than rename utility
          lmao, the regex square alone is more complex than a list of files to delete

Anonymous

>The funny part is the bottom UI actually does more.
          The bottom one is trivially basic, what are you talking about?

Anonymous

Programmers tend to make better UI than so-called UI/UX designers. This is because they prioritize function over form.
      Computer programs can be art, but most ought not be.

Anonymous

That’s why you need to work together. Not one having more say than the other.

Anonymous

Strong Towns is woke af but they should stick to real life infrastructure, top example is obviously more functional

Anonymous

Strong Towns is cyclist scrotery. Stop being poor and get a car.

Anonymous

Cager

Anonymous

SEs can make good UIs for other SEs. I’d very much prefer the first UI since I can easily and quickly access any control I need instead of hunting for which nested controls it is hidden behind, or even worse, deal with a "conversation" type of UI where you go through a dozen or more different pages of being asked questions in a cutesy manner.

Anonymous

Software Engineers and UX Designers kneel to the superior interface for complex interactions

Anonymous

this reminds me of shit i had to do in unreal engine a while ago

Anonymous

I really like graph programming. Wished web programming looks like this

Anonymous

Dataflow languages are kino.

Anonymous

Imagine if some madlad took UML and made it in to a programming language.
          I wonder what useless job role would be the first to die out.

Anonymous

I hate this visual programming shit. Looks bloated and if you are doing anything a little more complex it becomes a mess.
          And if you’re doing something simple you don’t need this in the first place.

Anonymous

well yeah, if you were doing something simple you’d do something simple
            and if you were doing something complicated you’d do something complicated

Anonymous

>SEs can make good UIs for other SEs
        only in the same way a monkey with a typewriter can write shakespeare – it’s bound to happen eventually

Anonymous

Some day that response will be relevant to a post but today is not that day. Keep typing monkey.

Anonymous

there are an infinity of UX failures in programmer to programmer tools. but i suspect that you’re the type who could spend three hours working around a fault without even noticing it’s there.

Anonymous

but top and bottom are completely different software…
      wouldn’t make more sense comparing the software that accomplishes the same task?

Anonymous

That might not give the result they wanted.

Anonymous

You are using too much logic for "UX" designers, whose job is to make something so dumbed down that scrotes can use it.
        Theres a reason zoomers dont even know how to use hierarchical folders for storage.

Anonymous

too much IQ for this thread

Anonymous

They are meant to illustrate the basic idea. Leave it to an autist to interpret this picture in a literal way.

Anonymous

HELLO BARBARA

Anonymous

Top honestly looks easier to use. I’m not even sure what the bottom one is supposed to do

Anonymous

system cleaner, it’s primary job is to make the user feel that they have more control of their computer, which is why a clean and simple UI presenting some basic statistics is an excellent starting page.

Anonymous

The top UI looks much more intuitive and easy to use.

Anonymous

Not to save their lives

Anonymous

in fact there are many examples of programmer and engineer-designed UXs killing people.

Anonymous

name 5 examples

Anonymous

The bottom design is poor because there’s no clear way to interact with it. While the top has consistent and clearly defined buttons and checkboxes and menus, it is not at all clear where the clickable elements are in the bottom.

Anonymous

this

also, so much dead space. keep tablet shit on tablets

Anonymous

im sorry you’re a boomer but fully-functioning adults can tell where the buttons are very easily

Anonymous

No, you cannot. Even if you’re willing to mouse around and make some guesses about what can be clicked, there’s no way to know what will happen when you do click. The top interface is obvious because it’s made of common widgets with predictable functions. The bottom is an artsy snowflake puzzle game.

Anonymous

Yes, or at least they do a better job than (((UX designers))), as your own image shows.

Anonymous

>every single function on one window
      vs
      >a huge waste of space requiring two extra clicks to do anything
      Not to mention the horrendous color scheme.

Anonymous

that webshit UI sucks as well

Anonymous

Win7 is fairly popular as an interface.

What was the big thing Microsoft did to make the UI so pleasant? Their UX designers made a third major iteration on the Windows interface, after 3 and 95, and their conclusions were given great weight when making the system.

Why has windows UIs been going to shit since then? It’s been left to the programmers again.

Why will Linux never make it to the desktop? Why do normies like Macs? Same answer, over and over again.

Programmers, as a group, are autistic, and cannot comprehend the minds of others. But building a user interface requires understanding the user.

Anonymous

>It’s been left to the programmers again.
        extremely unlikely
        every large software company has a UX team
        it’s just going to shit because they’re optimizing for things we don’t care about

Anonymous

Speaking of, here’s a nice read about the Windows 95 UI.
        >https://socket3.wordpress.com/2018/02/03/designing-windows-95s-user-interface/

Anonymous

What’s more likely is that MS fired (most of) the existing UI/UX team and replaced with it Pajeets and/or yes-men who wouldn’t give them shit over the "tablet-friendly" interface choices.

Also, the UI/UX team can only do so much. If they’re being told to maintain "normal" desktop functionalities accommodated with the Win32 API *and* make it "tablet-friendly", a frankenbeast like Windows 10 is likely close to being the best you can get. And Windows 11 is just a reiteration of the Windows 10 aesthetic much like Win7 correspondingly was.

Anonymous

>Why will Linux never make it to the desktop? Why do normies like Macs? Same answer, over and over again.
        What the fuck are you on about? Gnome is as polished as gayOS.

Anonymous

Nah. What happened is back in the olden days power users were the biggest demographics so it was designed for them. Now that cuntputers are mainstream and everyone has one, the largest demographics is stupid normies. So they cater and optimize things for them. Another thing is that there’s only one UI on windows and it has to cater to literally everyone at once and that’s just can’t be done.

Anonymous

>Now that cuntputers are mainstream and everyone has one, the largest demographics is stupid normies
          that can’t really be it, PCs were conceived for normies from the very beginning

Anonymous

The win7 UI is not pleasant, its almost entirely a downgrade from 2k/xp. Its just not as bad as the win8 and beyond disaster.

Anonymous

This freaking board.
      Top is nightmare fuel. Why would you need all that stupid shit just to rename files? The more frequent an action is, the more emphasized it should be in the interface. There is no WAY you people are removing accents from files and doing some shit with roman numerals in the same operation frequently enough to justify wasting precious screen space on them, and if you are, write a script instead of launching the UI and clicking your way through this maze. What if you need something even slightly different from the built-in functionality? I see there’s a checkbox for JavaScript at the bottom. That could replace the whole GUI. This is not a good UI. This is people who have gotten so good at pounding nails in with a screwdriver that they’ve added special grips and reinforcement to the screwdriver. Use a hammer.
      I’m not defending bottom, by the way. All third-party """clean my computer""" are poison.

Anonymous

>write a script instead
        it’s a GUI wrapper for a command-line tool you freaking spaz

Anonymous

ok so USE the command-line tool you freaking cumrag

Anonymous

>The more frequent an action is, the more emphasized it should be in the interface. There is no WAY you people are removing accents from files and doing some shit with roman numerals in the same operation frequently enough to justify wasting precious screen space on them
        I actually do, fuck off scrote don’t assume the habits of other people. Its because of subhumans like you that everything is buried under several menus for no reason. When I look at the top interface i can know at a glance everything it can do.

Anonymous

1) like FUCK you do
          2) you are 1% of use-cases, don’t think you can shit up the interface of the 99%
          >b-but this is a tool for that 1%
          No, I mean you are the 1% who needs FAST access to all these fields. If this application were designed by someone who’d ever been hugged, it would have some freaking hierarchy and humanity. This is the design of someone who just sprayed fields onto the screen and then walked away because it looked """functional""".

Anonymous

>If this application were designed by someone who’d ever been hugged
            kek

Anonymous

99% of users just right click -> rename scrotebrain.
            the whole point of a dedicated bulk renaming program is to be able to rename a bunch of programs with whatever scheme the users want, not one you think they want.

Anonymous

and even if you agree that all of those options need a GUI control, they are still laid out absolutely horribly.

Anonymous

I don’t get it. you’d rather have submenus and shit for a commandline wrapper?
          why? so it looks "better"? I can’t imagine a few extra buttons actually being such a nuisance to you

Anonymous

Hierarchy doesn’t imply submenus. Hierarchy means things that are more important are placed more prominently. The current design implies leading dot handling (aside: you’re on freaking windows… for what purpose) is about as common as using a different base for the numbers (?!), which in turn is about as common as using Roman numerals for the numbers (?!?!). Absolutely no way that’s the case.
            >I want to grasp the entire functionality of the application in one go
            Yes, so do I. Designers sacrifice that for a variety of reasons, such as stupidity.

Anonymous

>This is people who have gotten so good at pounding nails in with a screwdriver that they’ve added special grips and reinforcement to the screwdriver.
        and they will fight you fervently when you say that a hammer is better. "works for me".

Anonymous

Those people make me see red. However, I am one of those people quite often. So…

Anonymous

>wasting precious screen space on them
        its not wasted if its used for something useful

Anonymous

>There is no WAY you people are removing accents from files
        Typical anglo scum just assuming his selfish use case applies to the entire world.

bruce3434

These two are not the same app

Anonymous

UI by programmer
      >functional, simple, a little overwhelming at first but has everything you frequently need readily available, made by someone who has intimate knowledge of the software

UI designers UI
      >pretty colours, lots of white space

Anonymous

>lots of white space
        he said, on this website

Anonymous

why are americans like this?

Anonymous

they’re obsessed with blacks

Anonymous

never said it’s a negative. imagine if the red circle on the right was filled with posts or ads…

Anonymous

the site isn’t gimped on purpose, like most sites that set width to 800px or some crap

Anonymous

how’d i know coming into this thread there’d be chuds going "UHH TOP SOUL BOTTOM SOULLESS FUNCTION OVER FORM"

Anonymous

what’s wrong with this, scrotebrain?

Anonymous

his picrel actually looked halfway tolerable except for using the circular radio button shape for what ought to be square checkboxes. and besides centering the group labels, I actually can’t find anything else to criticize.
          But you know, that’s because that show’s visual designer (they probably had one or more designers specialized to "computer shit", come to think about it) was the real creator, and they weren’t really thinking about emulating autism, just doing their job.

Anonymous

>except for using the circular radio button shape for what ought to be square checkboxes
            checkboxes and radio buttons have a completely different use case and in your screen radio buttons are obviously the only correct choice

stop posting, you dumb freaking scrotebrain

Anonymous

I was talking about the pied piper interface. If you think that one "post process" whatever thing is fine staying circular instead of needing to be square, you must have some sort of ability to photosynthesize stupidity or something.

Anonymous

Very seriously, have you been screened for autism?

Anonymous

what’s wrong with information density?

Anonymous

it’s an anti pattern in onions design. i work in accounting, we use a web-woke af "cloud" software to manage some of our accounting data. the provider released an update that significantly increased the padding on everything, so now you have to click the pagination "next" button a dozen times to see the same amount of information that was once visible on a single page. it’s like they designed accounting software for freaking ipad/touchpad scrotebrains.

Anonymous

thats not information density sounds like the opposite

Anonymous

Because you are only looking for one thing and have to actively ignore 80% of whats being shown in the screen.
          Why not hide that clutter if you don’t plan to use it ?

You could even apply this to code refactoring, no one likes scrolling a monolith of 80k lines of code just to find what you are working on.

Anonymous

SOMETIMES they can make a good looking UI but overall experience is usually more complicated than ideal on the user side unless they’ve had exp in UX. Not just reading articles, either – the whole shebang.

Anonymous

Yeah ok dumb ass scrote lets see you stupid ux whores design a bulk rename tool with good UI and all the functionality as in that top example. freaking clueless un-professional talentless pumkin head muppet scrotes

Anonymous

I oughta bill you.

Anonymous

lol stay mad
        sounds boring anyway, you can keep that one

Anonymous

Programmers make perfectly fine UIs as long as they’re aimed at advanced users. Anyone can handle that. The difficulty comes when scrotebrains have to be able to use it

Anonymous

>as long as they’re aimed at themselves
        Corrected that.
        >*screeching*
        OK, or expert users, or users who’ve read the manual. But you can make software for experts that doesn’t need a manual. It just takes a little thought. And saying "it’s for experts" is too often a crutch for not caring about design principles from the other direction, from the "I’m a programmer and my parents bought me a computer when I was 6" direction.

Anonymous

>But you can make software for experts that doesn’t need a manual. It just takes a little thought.
          Still an entirely different thing from making a truly scrotebrain proof UI.

Anonymous

You are scrotebrained. I used Bulk Rename Utility when I was 10

Anonymous

But the real insight is you should be designing for scrotebrains anyway, because we’re all a little scrotebrained from time to time (didn’t get enough sleep, maybe, or on a tight deadline).
        Anyway, your precious little program occupies maybe 1% of my day, and it shouldn’t require any studying or mental effort beyond that. If I were using it for half my day, like a text editor, then you can make me read the manual.

Anonymous

>code monkey tells itself it’s an advanced user
        o i’m laffin

Anonymous

No.

That’s why when building a house,
      you hire both an engineer and an architect
      unless you are poor then you settle for the souless engineer

Anonymous

I have to design a UI for a school database, and they ask me for something that look like the second picture, with as many buttons and fields as the first picture.
      UI/UX design is worthless if you’re working with dumbfucks

Anonymous

the ghost stories dub is cringe it makes the show unwatchable

Anonymous

The Ghost Stories dub is the only part about it that makes it worth watching.

Anonymous

nah its a decent show without it

Anonymous

It’s really not

Anonymous

Here’s another thing. Your program should have the ability to be used by beginners as well as experts. If I need six clicks to do a common task, die. But if I put a reasonably smart fellow in front of your program and they can’t really figure it out, or they can’t find what they want quickly, you also failed.
      >the top one is actually pretty easy to understand, though
      Yes. Because you are freaking moving FILES. One step beyond turning the computer on. Pat yourself on the back. If these design "principles" were applied to anything more complicated, you’d end up with, well, most programmer-designed user interfaces.

Anonymous

>what you get when 10x engineers design the user interface

Anonymous

are you dissing Emacs UI? I see nothing wrong with it.

Anonymous

disgusting mishmashed UI 0/10 would barf
        just use VS it’s already the perfect IDE

Anonymous

imagine comparing an advanced bulk renamer to a meme (((pc cleaner)))

Anonymous

Bulk renamer is great for whenever i need it. Everything is within plain view i don’t have to remember shit. A glance is enough to figure out what i need and get it done.

Anonymous

What does software UI have to do with city planning?

Anonymous

Let me guess, you need more?

Anonymous

Text User Interface is peak user interface

Anonymous

those apps have very different target markets.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

These are 2 extremes and both are shit in their own way.

Anonymous

I can’t

Anonymous

Perhaps the options on the top one look too complicated but the simple grey square design is way better than the colorful shitty rounded resource expensive, ‘designer’ one.

Anonymous

Anyone who thinks the top one is good is dumb. A file managing software where less than 10% of the window is reserved to displaying the files is completely freaking idiotic.
      All those fieldsets should have been turned into tabs and the file view expanded.
      The useless title bar should be removed (it’s what the window title is for).
      That way there would be more room to breathe for the form elements and we wouldn’t have to try and guess whatever the fuck the R button does.

Anonymous

it’s not a file manager

Anonymous

>renaming files in bulk is not managing them

Anonymous

that pane just shows you a preview of the renaming operation
            you don’t use it to manipulate files so there’s no reason it shouldn’t occupy a minority of the space

Anonymous

But the top one is very readable, everything is always in the same space and there’s good contrast between UI elements. It follows the guidelines so users instinctively know where to look for things like the exit button for example.
      The bottom is divided into several tabs/modes, there are a lot of UI elements with similar colours that blend in and the "Hello, XYZ" banner is completely unnecessary. The bottom one also reinvents the wheel for no reason and puts the exit button in the bottom left instead of top right/light that is default for Windows/macOS.
      Don’t get me wrong, I like clean UI and don’t think UI/UX designers are a meme but the bottom one is worse than the top one. The only thing the bottom one has over the top one is the eye candy.

Anonymous

most importantly the bottom one doesn’t distinguish between interactive and non-interactive elements
        i don’t believe for a second that it was conceived by an actual interface designer that deserves that title

Anonymous

The chad grey all-in-one-screen with no life interface vs. The virgin cool and clean interface

Anonymous

>Can programmers make a good UI?
      No, the meme is 100% true iv seen it with my own eyes. The dude was a mastermind, he programed in an incredible speed and was very smart, he made a program worse looking that your pick.

My theory is that this type of people lack social skills so they dont know how to express them self’s and as a result you get those UIs.

Also the UI of the bottom is totally useless, every single element gives me zero info about whats currently happening, its just a place UI.

Anonymous

Dashboard-style interfaces suck balls, they’re just awful in general

Anonymous

Those UIs are both ugly, cluttered messes. Nothing comes close to the Chad simplicity and elegance of pic related UI.

Anonymous

>those buttons

Anonymous

>3 buttons at the top
        bloat

Anonymous

Billions of hours in a shitty phone image editor

Anonymous

Now this thread is complete.

Anonymous

First one more like this

Anonymous

second one more like this

Anonymous

>I need round corners and colorful buttons because I’m a toddler using a computer instead of a competent adult.

Anonymous

Windows forms is fine

Anonymous

Top:
      >obviously an expert system, intended for users who are willing to take some time to study the interface
      >high information density, most functionality available upfront, discoverable
      >well-suited for people who would be able to use the CLI if they had to, but find this thin layer of GUI helpful
      >some poor layout and labelling decisions (is "D/S" equivalent to checking both "digits" and "symbols"?)
      >sea of options gives too little space for the file browser (but is this the default view, or has someone disingenuously enabled everything to make it look as bad as possible? And would it resize if I enlarged the window?)

Bottom:
      >initial impression if clean, friendly, the work of a professional designer
      >low information density
      >not very discoverable (what do these icons represent?)
      >unclear utility (what does "Updating Monitoring: Applications 50%" mean? Does it mean applications represent 50% of the space I’m using? Is that relatively good, bad? Is there something I can or should do about it?)
      >poor use of space even considering the low density (is that a hamburger menu within the header of each of the four centre-right "other functions" blocks? What does it do?)

Neither look like examples of good design to me. I’d rather use the former if it were something I needed for work and would use daily/become highly familiar with. I’d rather use the latter if I just needed to accomplish some simple one-off task.

Anonymous

Top: a Shuttle control panel for what should have been a simple REPL. It’s a work of schizo, not a programmer.
      Bottom: a work of an UI designer, not an UX designer

Both are freaking terrible to use

Anonymous

I was playing ff7 yesterday and was impressed by how responsive the menu was. You press a button and the cursor moves on the same frame. It’s the fastest UI I’ve used in years, that’s how slow everything is now.

Anonymous

>that party
        patrician.

[…]

I won’t lie, top has a certain charm that you just don’t see anymore these days. Software written by autists is software you can trust to do exactly what they’re supposed to do. Autists are huge on the purity of function, so when you see the UI in top, you can generally be assured that there is no telemetry. But like other anons have pointed out ITT, bottom looks like it’s about to tell you that it’s locked your file system and that you need to pay a Nigerian prince a thousand dollars to unlock it.

Anonymous

Red 13 only run, when?

Anonymous

Yeah, did a full playthrough of FFVII not too long ago on my PS4. Really is nice having responsiveness like that, helps a lot with muscle memory for basic tasks.

Anonymous

lmao I actually use BRU almost every day.

Anonymous

>UI
      That’s UX sweetie. It largely depends on the userbase.

Anonymous

No, it’s UI.
        UX includes the UI, but also covers EVERYTHING in how the user and application interact.

Anonymous

Programmers make the UI in the end anyway.

Anonymous

Programs are tools, I don’t want the prettiest drill I want the most reliable one that’s also the easiest to use.
      UI/UX designers forget about the X so they can get favorites on dribble, the UI on top feels decent enough, it’s cramped but that shouldn’t be a problem with high resolution displays, that’s also another problem with UI designers, everything has to be mobile friendly

Anonymous

thanks, but I’ll be sticking with the command line

Anonymous

the bottom one doesn’t even look like a native macos application, more like a yet another hard to use tablet UI garbage app.

Anonymous

It’s from dribbble, it’s full of mockups from people who haven’t done a design for an actual application in their life. And those people have full blown metas there and trends and shit, and them companies like mozilla or twitter go in and follow their memes for their actual product new design.

Anonymous

The bottom UI gives me the creeps, like watching a person forcing a smile.

Anonymous

Some can, some can’t.

By the way, the first one isn’t an example of a bad UI. It’s not "pretty", but everything is clearly explained and laid out in front of you.

A bad UI is characterized by inconsistent paradigms and lack of coherency between visual cues and functionality.

Anonymous

>By the way, the first one isn’t an example of a bad UI.
        Lmao

Anonymous

It’s a form system that constructs regular expressions from fields The only reason to use it is because you’re too scrotebrained to use a compositional interface like a CLI. It is utterly unremarkable.

If you don’t understand the difference between a bad looking user interface, and a bad quality user interface, then I’m afraid you lack the philosophical fundamentals to even have this conversation.

Anonymous

If you don’t understand why the ui on the top is freaking terrible, you should never discuss any interface, UI or UX topics at all until you do.

Anonymous

It’s not terrible. It’s powerful and simple. Besides that’s not the default. By default, everything is disabled. You only have to check the box you want (say, Auto Date).

It’s giving users the power of the command line with the simplicity of a GUI. Bulk Rename Utility is a highly acclaimed program because there’s nothing like it. It also has a command line version BTW.

The bottom example is useless shovelware and it’s not even clear what it does.

Anonymous

looks like software engineers should design the user interface

Anonymous

BRU’s interface is abstruse and overwhelming, I could never figure out how it works. Advanced Renamer is much easier to use and still plenty powerful.
      (tip for the macscrotes: A Better Finder Rename is similar to this.)

Anonymous

Too much white space in the bottom one, bad to my eyes and brain

Anonymous

BRU is good UI though. Super simple even a toddler would understand how to use it.

Anonymous

so is this the webshitter cope thread?

Anonymous

>top: Soul
      >bottom: Soulless

Anonymous

Yes, they make the best UIs. Its the UX designers who make the ugly unusable shit.

Anonymous

Software engineers make a UI suitable for straight white men. UX designers make a UI that only appeals to scrotes, women and scrotes and is mostly useless. A story as old as time itself.

Anonymous

back, scrote

Anonymous

Speak the Queen’s, chud. I can’t understand you when your mouth is full of cocks.

Anonymous

woke af af

Anonymous

Woke af

Anonymous

If people just stuck to more native toolkits and didn’t bother with webapps and shit like electron, UI design as a profession would have zero demand. Even an autistic scrotebrain can put together something usable and attractive with GTK, Qt, Flutter, Cocoa, etc. The problem starts when you try to make something flashy in freaking CSS.

Anonymous

Ok so why is this jot true on mobile?

Anonymous

Ok so why is this jot true on mobile?

he’s a sperg who can’t comprehend that nobody likes his autistic linux gui toolkits
        partly because C++ is a shit way to define a GUI, and everyone knows declarative is the way to go
        and partly because all of these toolkits have a really shitty state and event systems

in reality the billions of dollars in development in the past decade has gone to webshit, and so webshit is at the bleeding edge of GUI design, and so if you were going to take any notes on how to design a GUI framework, you’d take it from woke afdevs and not cniles

Anonymous

Bulk Rename Utility is woke af.
      That bottom one looks cringe.

Anonymous

why the fuck would I need to register just to use a system clean utility?

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

I need that how is that called.

Anonymous

It’s a simple 50 line long python script scrotebrain make your own

Anonymous

50 lines for that? lmao

Anonymous

It has smart functions, that’s why

Anonymous

for example?

Anonymous

.The image is a useless comparison of two entierly different kinds of app. Though I don’t care much for either interface.

There is a field which is actually rooted in science and aiming to make for a good user experience. It’s called Human-Computer Interaction. Its scions have backgrounds in psychology and cognitive science, often doctoral degrees. They build fantastic interfaces.

UX design on the other hand is largely voodoo and fashion, with almost no deferal even to deductive reasoning from basic principles of cognition, let alone to controlled experiments. It’s just ego-driven bullshit.

It is a trash field which is dragging software into a new dark age.

Anonymous

The one below looks like a restaurant flyer.

Anonymous

what are some examples that successfully combine function and aesthetic?

Anonymous

gnome

Anonymous

No, but I can download a template and make a good UX.

Anonymous

yes, have you seen bvckup ui? look at the site for more example, esp the logging

Anonymous

Lmao this thread just proves programmers are useless without creatives and business people leading them

Anonymous

1st for me

Anonymous

Letting dumbasses with graphic design degrees design UIs was the ultimate mistake.

Anonymous

>dev creates utility program
      >design creates dashboard
      seems about right

Anonymous

First one is probably that guy throwing shit together, second one is probably made by a team of people.

Anonymous

modern UI and UX people should be dragged out into the street and shot. this shit was figured out 30+ years ago

Anonymous

if you think the bottom one is a better UI+UX than the top, you’re blinded by the theming.

they’re both ugly, but top is better, which is relatively impressive given that it is solving a much more complex problem.

for the bottom ask yourself what each section’s purpose is, why are they organized that way into those specific sections, why those visualizations are used, what’s clickable, if it seems like two visualizations on there are presenting the exact same data (or arguably no particularly useful data), and what you would say the purpose of this tab is.

Anonymous

sometimes yes
      mostly no
      if I’m creating an app to use myself it will have good design and good ux.

Anonymous

if I’m creating an app to use myself it will have a single button that says "do the thing"

Viewing 87 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id