Be honest, is it too late to stop climate change? What went wrong?

Home Forums Science & tech Be honest, is it too late to stop climate change? What went wrong?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Be honest, is it too late to stop climate change? What went wrong?

Anonymous

I don’t know much about it, but I don’t see why someone wouldn’t do stratospheric aerosol injection at some point. India could do it for example, seeing as they stand to lose a lot from climate change and are big enough to do it…i think. Near arctic countries wont do it because they not-so-secretly want climate change. for some reason china considers itself a near-arctic country.

Anonymous

>stratospheric aerosol injection
        just a band-aid at best
        If a leaking faucet is overrunning a bath tub, the solution is not to build taller walls on the tub, you turn off that faucet.

Anonymous

>the solution is not to build taller walls on the tub, you turn off that faucet.

yet there are no good solutions.

Anonymous

grow a pair, take the least worst solution or see the shit really hit the fan

Anonymous

It’s too late to overcome your addiction to asian tits

Anonymous

YOU DIDN’T LISTEN!
      HOW DARE YOU?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mptNDINqYnQ

Anonymous

Kek these videos are great

Anonymous

Physically: The worst is still avoidable.
      Economically: Dunno. Maybe it was always too late.

Anonymous

HOW DARE YOU

Anonymous

medium-term corporate interests control US policy

Anonymous

Do they control China and India too?

Anonymous

no the lobbyist boogey man is stupid. What they’ve successfully prevented every country from being carbon neutral.

Anonymous

It’s already started and will keep getting worse for years even if we went zero emission today, the thing is it’ll be ever worse and take longer to recover if we don’t take action.
      The stupid thing is we have been able to produce all electricity without CO2 since the 50s and have known global warming is a thing since the 80s.
      https://www.climatefiles.com/exxonmobil/1982-memo-to-exxon-management-about-co2-greenhouse-effect/

Anonymous

consumers are insulated from their choices, and the economic cost of things is not commensurate to the ecological long term costs. there are also so many people that it’s impossible to get enough people to agree on the correct course of action. mix in disinformation by interested parties and an stupid/uneducated and apathetic public and you get where we are.

Anonymous

Stopping climate change is like stopping the wind from being a thing. You might as well flay a stick around like a scrotebrain and call it a day.
      We shouldn’t look for a solution if we don’t even know what the climate problem is. We don’t even know if there is a climate problem.

Anonymous

How do you stop that which does not exist?

I get why the energy sector, auto industry and heavy industry want to claim global warming isn’t real but what do you gain from parroting their claims?
        Do you actually believe that everyone has spent 30 years talking about something that doesn’t exist and if so what is their motive?

Anonymous

>I get why the energy sector, auto industry and heavy industry want to claim global warming isn’t real
          Without the energy sector, auto industry and heavy industry, everybody’s lives would be shit.

>Do you actually believe that everyone has spent 30 years talking about something that doesn’t exist and
          Yes.
          it is not everyone*
          the narrative changed from global cooling to global warming to polar bear being extinct, none of which actually happened.

>if so what is their motive?
          making everybody’s lives shit while the rich warmist doomist "prophets" keep using jets and polluting more than 90% of the rest of us, while screaming at us on how bad we are at the "climate problem". I believe it is all for interests, and politcal gains.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/J6Y8iJ0.gif

>global cooling
            this meme again lol

Anonymous

>Without the energy sector, auto industry and heavy industry, everybody’s lives would be shit.
            They can move to lower emission options, it isn’t a chose between staying with 1920s technology or going full primitivist

>the narrative changed
            Depending where you live the effects of average global temperature rise is different, for example the UK is getting colder because the melting polar cap is cooling the ocean.

>while the rich warmist doomist "prophets"
            Name a billionaire "warmist", as for billionaire deniers I’ll go with Rupert Murdoch and Robert Mercer for a start while you find some.

"Going Green" is how they want to control everybody. If you scare everyone into thinking there’s a big bad enemy (climate change) they’ll all band together and listen to fight that bad enemy. Just look at the zoomers now. They all want environmental degrees and to drive electric meme cars and not have kids for muh environment. They’ve effectively scared an entire generation to do what they want.

>"Going Green" is how they want to control everybody
            How does my life change if instead of my power coming from coal it comes from nuclear?
            >not have kids
            I think that’s mainly economic, when a man doing unskilled work could pay off a house while supporting a stay at home wife and 5 kids they did, now they can’t so don’t.

Anonymous

>move to lower emission options
              Electric cars cost a shit ton and come with their own down sides
              Making electric cars is as bad for the environment as making normal cars, some would argue they are even worse.
              >the melting polar cap
              Polar caps have been going through cycles of melt-freeze since they basically were a thing. There is no such thing as a static state of anything in this universe, it is even more stupid to blame humanity for it.
              >while the rich warmist doomist "prophets"
              Any career politician pushing for "green".

Anonymous

>going full primitivist
              This is what the majority of eco people want, an ecofascist state where you live a very meek existence in servitude towards the climate.

Obviously our only real option is technology but we are not close to anything considered carbon neutral.

Anonymous

>what is nuclear

Anonymous

"Going Green" is how they want to control everybody. If you scare everyone into thinking there’s a big bad enemy (climate change) they’ll all band together and listen to fight that bad enemy. Just look at the zoomers now. They all want environmental degrees and to drive electric meme cars and not have kids for muh environment. They’ve effectively scared an entire generation to do what they want.

Anonymous

the climate science is pretty convincing that we, humans, are changing our climate in ways that will make human life on average more challenging as time progresses. there’s not any debate on that point

it’s a reasonable thing to be concerned about. the real debate is what to do about it

Anonymous

>the climate science is pretty convincing
              Midwit.

Anonymous

I’m a zoomer studying architecture and one of the reasons I didn’t pursue Building/Construction Science is because most of the emphasis seems to be on things like bioswales and oxygen producing living wall installation, passive cooling etc. I would have loved to learn about earthquake strengthening and mitigation but it seems unlikely that sort of thing is offered in any courses. Either way there’s a fair number of us not really interested in climate change strategies. Besides, I’m pro-nuclear power and I just keep my mouth shut on climate discussions because people here are still incredibly anti-nuclear.

Anonymous

>You didn’t see global warming because it’s not there

Anonymous

Anonymous

sis there’s been multiple real life controlled studies done on climate change

Anonymous

Lol. What kind of midwit falls for something like """climate change"""
          All the studies are done to promote political agenda.

Anonymous

I would say all the political agendas use climate changes as a weapon.

Anonymous

It was a joke. It’s the only science field without true controlled experimental studies.

Anonymous

"controlled studies"
          like this one?
          https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaa5632

Anonymous

>paying to read a paper
            I freaking hate what has happened to academia, I just want to read their methodology for myself but my options are to pay for it or trust a reporter.

Anonymous

Please explain what’s wrong with this paper.

Anonymous

>is it too late to stop climate change?
      In the short term, yes. In the long term, if we switch to renewables and begin mass-scale carbon capture and storage, and no feedback loops take off, we’ll fix it in over the course of several centuries.

>What went wrong?
      Fossil fuels were too good of an energy source when you factor in cost and other factors to pass up. Plus there were monetary interests on all sides to keep fossil fuel usage.

Anonymous

The Cold War prevented nuclear power from spreading to every nation.

Anonymous

You can’t. I’ll keep polluting with my straight piped no def no emissions control diesel faster than you can do anything about it.

Anonymous

This. Humanity is going to lose anyway, so why not play for the winning team?

Anonymous

There is a good reason for this. The faster civilization collapses thanks to climate change, the more likely we avoid creating a AGI/strong AI. Causing a climate collapse ASAP is humanity’s moral imperative. If I could press a button to press the clathrate gun I would. Doing so would save humanity from a far worse fate than a simple existential threat.

Anonymous

UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
      https://www.ipcc.ch/

Anonymous

You driving to work to keep buying shit to put in your air-conditioned home while you wait for your Burger King order to arrive. You moved away from your family but you still travel back and forth to visit. You always needed more today, and you’ll always need even more than that tomorrow. Fast.

Anonymous

How come carbon dioxide doesn’t cause the greenhouse effect on Mars?
      Mars has more than 1500% more CO2 in it’s atmosphere than Earth does and yet Mars has no measured atmospheric greenhouse effect.

Anonymous

It’s easily avoidable. It’s just artificial rules keeping the US from being more or less completely carbon neutral. Nuclear would be ~1/2 the price of solar today (0.03 or so) if it weren’t for politicians meddling with the NRC and purposely sabotaging it.
      Compare US in pic related with something like France.

Anonymous

All infrastructure in the US is high priced for some reason.

Anonymous

>Be honest, is it too late to stop climate change?

Yes.
      It’s about a 100 years too late.

>What went wrong?

We genuinely can’t make any of the necessary changes to the economy, technology, and society, that would be capable of effectively stalling or combating climate change at this stage.
      We need direct access energy and our best source of that is fossil fuels. Renewable energy in the form of solar and wind are a joke (UK’s current energy crisis being acerbated by the fact that the wind "didn’t blow enough that year") and things like geothermal and hydroelectric are limited to geography. People are also still irrationally afraid of Nuclear Energy. Everything that would be required of us to ‘fix’ global warming would also, effectively, destroy the economy, society, and make literally everyone upset.

What we can do at this point, and what would make a huge difference; is to shift the environmental narrative away from carbon emissions and back to actual tangible and objective goals such as:
      Reforestation, habitat protection and conservation. It isn’t good enough to simply plant trees- you actually have to leave them alone and let them grow.
      Actually taking overfishing seriously. We’re unironically running out of fish.
      Cleaning up the freaking plastic in the ocean. Please for the love of christ can we leave the freaking ocean alone.
      Funding & promoting ‘rewilding’ projects that rebuild biomes by reintroducing key species that have been extirpated or extinct. Most people have heard of the cascade success of wolves in yellowstone park, but the reintroduction of beavers into California has been quite effective at restoring salmonids and aspen/cottonwood forests.

Anonymous

>Actually taking overfishing seriously. We’re unironically running out of fish.

Already solved via aquaculture despite envirocunts wanting to ban it.

Anonymous

I can’t believe that anyone with an IQ higher than 110 believes that le evil carbon atoms will make Earth hotter.

Anonymous

welcome to the 20th century

Anonymous

We can slam the brakes now and hope to avoid the worst outcomes.

Anonymous

To stop?

We’re in it. It’s a question of how bad things will get. We’re seeing more extreme weather events, we’re starting to see water wars, the climate is changing.

Of course, the denialists actually have a point here; the climate is always changing. Thing is, for as long as we’ve had recorded history, the Earth has been getting further away from the sun, so the fact global average temperature is increasing is more concerning than most would admit.

Beyond that there’s this idea of carbon feedback loops, warm oceans can’t hold as much gas, releasing more co2, causing the oceans to get warmer, causing more CO2 emissions.

Then, finally, there are social factors. Wars will likely be the product of climate change, and will inevitably make the problem worse.

So the question isn’t "can we stop?", It’s too late, it’s happening, the question is "will the generation being born today have children that survive to be adults?"

Anonymous

>Wars will likely be the product of climate change,

holy shit the FUD.

Anonymous

Wars for resources like the ones that happened from the time I was age twelve to, like, yesterday.

Not directly related to climate change, but surely it’s pretty freaking suggestive that even in the closest thing we have to a post-scarceity Civilisation there’s wars merely to maintain certain levels of convenience.

Anonymous

syria boiled over because of a long drought
          The effects came earlier because Turkey didn’t just wait passively to get bonked up, it built dozens of dams to buffer the rivers, leaving syria and iraq without water

Anonymous

Oh, also, look into the carbinoferous period; plants did the inverse of what we’re currently doing. There’s at least a chance that out of all this more complex lifeforms will arise. Humans will undoubtedly cause some unusual selection pressures on our way out.

Anonymous

>Of course, the denialists actually have a point here; the climate is always changing.
        what freaking point? There is no point here.

Anonymous

It’s literally a "gotcha!" tactic.
          >"’Climate Change’? Heh, the climate is always changing scrotebrain!"

Anonymous

to avoid the worst of it? no

to avoid it entirely? yes

Anonymous

>he doesn’t know global warming will actually cause a counter reaction in the climate causing a mini ice age to prevent it from getting too HOT
      >he fell for the propaganda
      >ngmi go back to reddirt.com bitch scrote

Anonymous

>farmlands freezing is somehow better
        Even if for arguments sake you were right that will still destroy the food supplies.

Anonymous

it would do worse than destroy food supplies but would make it almost impossible to grow food anywhere on Earth without climate controlled farming, at least if it get really hot we could just move civilization to rivers and live like the Egyptians did along the Nile.

Anonymous

Wrong. Look up "wet bulb temperatures"

Anonymous
      Anonymous

What went wrong was the scrotebrained delusion among some scrotebrains that they can "stop" a natural process on earth to save their filthy, diseased and dying civilisation. It was all a political larp, no one ever cared about ecosystem, because if they did instead of seething about climate change (which is a natural process on earth), they would be campaigning against actual ecological destruction due to pollution, erosion, desertification (due to industrial agriculture), excessive exploitation (mining etc), deforestation etc, but turns human greed and ignorance is bigger than his instinct to survive.

Anonymous

>What went wrong was the scrotebrained delusion among some scrotebrains that they can "stop" a natural process
        Which natural process is causing rapid warming during a period in the Milankovich cycle when we should be slowly cooling? Which natural process is causing the observed radiative forcing from CO2 to rise rapidly? Which natural process is causing the ratio of carbon isotopes in the atmosphere to be increasingly skewed toward that of fossil fuels?

Anonymous

I’ve put a lot of thought into this issue, and I actually found the solution years ago. It’s kinda sad that no one else has been able to solve it yet.

Anonymous

Global warming is real and that’s a good thing.

Anonymous

Get poor people rich so they don’t wanna pollute and move away from boomer industrialization. Where my peace prize at?

Anonymous

Yes. But climate change isn’t a binary issue. The more the global average temp rises, the more issues we have. It’s not linear either because of methane deposits, ocean and air current changes, ocean levels and glacier melts, atmospheric co2 and a bunch of other things. So we’re looking at something like if we get +2.5c then stuff happens and we get another +2c no matter what, and then if the total goes over +5c we get another +2c no matter what, etc. Latest calculations estimate that we’d need about 10x more greenhouse gases than what we have deposited in all the oil and coal reserves known, to actually get a runaway greenhouse effect. But those estimates are woke af on estimates on how much carbon sink we’ll still have available. And as the temperature, ocean acidification, fires and desertification increases, so too will our carbon sinks decrease. So the real question is: is there a point where our dying carbon sinks will no longer be enough? It’s possible.

Either way, the world will become uninhabitable for a vast majority of complex life including humans anywhere near the equator way before then.

As for what went wrong? Greed and selfishness. Not blind greed, people often misunderstand this. It’s not that Timmy wants a billion billion and doesn’t care if the world burns. It’s never that straightforward. It’s that EVERY business, the world over, has since forever faced the same dilemma: if you do your thing responsibly but your competition doesn’t, then they will win and you will go out of business. So every person, every business has always struggled with having to take shortcuts in order to stay afloat. This is the same reason for concern behind AI development. You can’t prohibit it, because whichever makes the better one will win over anyone else.

And this shared greed and individualism, is what is going to kill us. And there is no way to stop it. Even if we had a utopia, people would always be like that. It’s in our nature.

Anonymous

our inactivity – we had plenty of time to stop it just a couple decades ago, but spent too much time dicking around with non-binding emission targets and not planting enough trees and now it is too late and we are where we are now

Anonymous

>climate change
      who cares.

Ive been told my whole life how its all over and how im suffering tremendously and every time there’s any kind of weather anomaly (and there are always weather anomaly) its cause
      >Mother Nature is angry.
      fuck the planet.

Anonymous

>Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor. Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys!

Anonymous

>Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor. Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys!

Woke af as fuck.
        >waaaah we need to coexist with nature
        No, we need to work on conquering and taming nature so we don’t have to live to its gay whims anymore.

Anonymous

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah whatever post more asians

Anonymous

>but anon, don’t you care about the globe?

Mrrandom

Yes. The entire human economy depends on dirty fuels. How do you get away with that? Money. Sure but it would even almost bankrupt rich nations like Sweden and America and Germany. How does the rest of humanity afford it? What went wrong? Too little too late. Only thing we can do now is adapt. Some of us will make it, some won’t.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/AWBvw81.gif

Don’t care. Coom. B-Boobah

Anonymous

>Implying that’s a bad thing

Anonymous

losing wwii

Anonymous

Maybe, the Nazis at least understood letting capitalists pollute your world for a buck was a bad idea.

Anonymous

The primary method of combating climate change now is to modernize the power infrastructure so that extreme weather events don’t radically disrupt the economy. Our power grid and delivery infrastructure is nearly a century freaking old and has had no real innovation or modernization to match the era that we live in.

As such, tropical storms are evolving quicker and stronger storms are living longer . This is in turn causing larger radii of damages and their formation and evolutionary phases are considerably greater now, so repeated blows to the head as a result are more likely (figuratively) to societal infrastructure.

Moving transport networks deep underground, moving electrical delivery deep underground, moving energy generation from fossil fuels to renewable sources backed by large volume and long-term battery storage, all are major changes that need to happen and within the next 20 years or the planet will literally fuck us over by repeated disruptions to the point that it’ll push major economies to the bring from cyclical destruction along coast lines and in dry/arid areas with large surface area forest fires.

Anonymous

Wrong?

Anonymous

The country that has the most advanced oil shale production technology, with almost 50 billion barrels of oil in reserves, who just happens to be on a trend of isolationism, wants the entire world to switch to """green energies""" (which uses OIL to get rare resources).
      pure coincidence.

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id