Are high end desk chairs worth it or another attempt for Israel to get my money?

Home Forums General & off-topic Are high end desk chairs worth it or another attempt for Israel to get my money?

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Are high end desk chairs worth it or another attempt for Israel to get my money?

Ive been eyeing up the logitech x herman miller chair, it seems like it’s suited for no lifers who spend 12+ hrs a day sitting in a chair. $1900 AUD is very steep though.

Anyone here got a herman miller and can give a review? I’m using a dxracer chair at the moment for reference (yes, I know it’s gay)

Anonymous

I recently invested in a steelcase gesture. Pricey but it’ll last decades and helps ensure my body doesn’t get so wrecked by long periods of sitting.

That said there are a lot of meme chairs, price alone is not a guarantee of quality or durability. The gas struts are a problem too, even well constructed chairs these have an unavoidable lifespan before the seals give out.

I’d be wary of anything related to a gaming company, even Logitech. Pure office furniture brands should help you dodge the majority of memes. Except for aerons which imo have become a huge meme – I’ve seen more mis-sized and mis-adjusted aerons doing more harm than good out there. Too much adjustability can be a bad thing

Anonymous

Would you recommend it, how comfy is it?

Anonymous

It’s working really well for me. I also lent it to a friend for a few weeks and he’s now bought one, too.

Anonymous

I have the embody and it’s well worth the price. It will keep you in a proper posture for hours and hours, definitely a good investment if you spend more than 10 hours a day on your chair.
      Regarding the logitech version, I would say that it’s a meme and there’s no point in paying more than the regular embody, other than logitech branding and the gimmick shit about coolness

Anonymous

>more than 10 hours a day on your chair.

Jesus

Anonymous

I work from home scrote, so that’s 8 hours without even talking about my free time

Anonymous

Same here, general rule of thumb, if you feel anything poking or being uncomfortable in a chair sitting in it still for 30 minutes, it’ll be terrible after sitting in it for 16 hours.
            Currently using a current gen Aeron with added Atlas-headrest.
            … also had an embody, but the lack of forward-tilt is not an option if you frequently use a graphics-tablet and not being able to get a headrest also kinda sux.

Anonymous

What are you doing on LULZ

Anonymous

posting

Anonymous

Is Secretlabs worth it?

Anonymous

embody is the best chair, buy it. there is a return policy if you end up hating it (you won’t)

Anonymous

swex

Anonymous

I have an Aeron Classic and it’s quite literally the best chair I’ve ever sat on. But the price does make it hard to justify. Decided to buy it after COVID and being forced to work from home. My office had some other mesh-type chair, and I really liked it, so searched for best mesh option out there.

I found https://www.youtube.com/c/Beyondtheofficedoor/videos this channel very valuable. And their herman miller special was also really insightful:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAAkvKkJJY0

If possible go and try in your local shop. It took me ~2 weeks to adjust for my herman miller, I used to slouch previously. Bear that in mind, these chairs usually force you to sit in an ergonomic position. You _can_ slouch in embody (I tested it).

Anonymous

* Aeron classic remastered.

Anonymous

>Bear that in mind, these chairs usually force you to sit in an ergonomic position
        Not really. I have Aeron Remastered. Your upper back can round too much just like in any chair. You will need to do some kind of exercises like yoga for posture. Great chair though.

Anonymous

>12 hours on chair
      Not going to be enough. These chairs are rated for 8 hours a day 4 days a week max. If you live in your desk what you need is a dispatcher chair which is actually designed around the fact that there’ll be a fatass sitting in it 24/7 for at least 10 years. Not only will it last you decades but it will be massively more comfortable. It’s freaking expensive though but not really when you consider what garden gnomeman miller charges you for a new aeron.

Anonymous

I paid $1275 for mine. New

Anonymous

This chair cost less than a week of my salary fully customized, I will never sit in shit chairs again. Anyone can say 200 dollar chairs work, of course they do, they don’t compare at all.

Anonymous

>it’s 2 weeks where i live
        should i be grinding leetcode

Anonymous

This subject comes up all the freaking time here, and I generally post the same response. I worked for a rather large AE firm with a very well equipped interior design group, so I’ve had the opportunity to not only sit in a shit ton of nice chairs, but sit in them for extended working hours.

Couple of notes:
      1) You can’t really tell if a chair is good for you in just a couple minutes. Going to Ikea and sitting in a Markus for a minute is a shit test. Overly padded chairs tend to give a better initial impression than how you will feel about them in a couple weeks of use.
      2) The Aeron is okay, but better chairs exist. It was iconic in the late 90’s, but the industry has moved on, and even HM themselves have newer, better chairs. Unless you have an insane deal, don’t get an Aeron.
      3) Proper sizing (for the Aeron) and adjustment is crucial, which may also take time. Some chairs take more fiddling than others (Aeron vs. Leap, for instance).
      4) My personal preferences go as follows (from the most often listed chairs here): Steelcase gesture, HM Embody, Steelcase Leap, HM Aeron. Obviously there’s tons of other chairs out there but those are the four non-shit names I see here popping up.
      5) Stop asking about gaming chair brands. They’re all the same. They are all literally made by the Chinese sweatshops, just that each brand adds their little flair with an extra ass cushion or a racing stripe or some shit. Look at specific models. If one model of DXRacer looks exactly the same as one model of Secret Labs, it’s because it’s made by the same factory and it is the freaking same.
      6) Look for used office supply warehouses, lots of deals there. I got a Leap v2 for home for $75 years ago and it still had like 80% of its warranty left.

Anonymous

What would you recommend to someone who has a secondhand Aeron from 2000 and doesn’t really like it all that much? It just feels stiff-assed after extended periods and wobbles a bit. Also the arms and lumbar are freaking annoying to adjust and never stay put.

Anonymous

Secretlabs isn’t made in ch*na. Now Singapore isn’t exactly my #1 choice but it’s much preferable to what you said. I’m skeptical of them too but I’m shopping around and having a hard time finding any glaring problems with them.

Anonymous

Hundred dollar chairs are a scam, I’ve never had a chair that cost more than $50 and I’ve been fine. I’m currently using a $20 yoga ball that’s comfy as fuck and helps back pain

Anonymous

wow you bought a chair? Just sit on your tower. That’s what it was designed for. Plus it keeps your ass warm during winter. The fans also wick moisture from your sweaty ass

Anonymous

chop down a tree and use the stump as a chair for 80-100 years before going out and chopping down another one

Anonymous
          Anonymous

You freaking freak! Get that away from my chair!

Anonymous

it’s not only about cost. these are "ergonomic" and push into your back and can’t really lean back because that is supposed to be healthy
      either you like this or the chair is just useless

Anonymous

t. never sat in one

Anonymous

yes i did

Anonymous

I have a steelcase leap bought through a remanufacturing company that should be easy enough to find if you give a fuck by googling "remanufactured steelcase leap". I won’t shill it beyond that.

That said, I’m satisfied with it. The arms can go wherever I want them. My autistic shitposting pose and my gamer pose are both supported because of the four dimensional arms or whatever scrotebrained name steelcase has for them may be. The padding isn’t the most comfortable in the world like a leather couch, but I’m comfortable enough. The biggest criticism I have for this chair is that there isn’t a head rest. They built in a tilt tension and tilt limiter to ensure that you could lean back only exactly as far as you’d like to without anyone, anyone at all, saying "hey, I have to lean my head forward because otherwise I’m hyperextending my neck like a freaking infant one day too old to surrender to a fire station". But on those occasions I do want to lean back I just go to the aforementioned leather couch.

It works for me, but your mileage may vary.

Anonymous

I’ve just came to browse LULZ because I’m getting more and more frustrated with my seating. I have a shitty """""office chair""""" that is an abomination, I’ve tried a simple kitchen chair but it’s terrible to sit on for too long, and I was gifted a kinda higher endish boss chair but that shit’s only purpose is literally to freaking lay around in it like a boss, it’s back could not even support my back when I want to type or anything, although I see it would be great to lay back, smoke a cigar, and then bang your secretary.
      Yeah, also, here the median salary is less then the price of the chairs ITT.
      I just want a tolerable chair.

Anonymous

What country?

Anonymous

>I’ve just came to browse LULZ because I’m getting more and more frustrated with my seating
        careful sis, i came here for advice on a new monitor and somehow became an /iemg/ regular

Anonymous

>wanting a chair that encourages you to sit MORE
      >instead of getting a chair that encourages multiple forms of sitting and standing

Anonymous

name?

Anonymous

capisco puls

Anonymous

>you arrive one day to find that your comfy work chair has been replaced with this

Anonymous

Got my regular embody 3 weeks ago (manufactured in June so it supposedly has the new foam). Seat pan is one of the best things I’ve sat on but the entire backrest feels like a stiff piece of cardboard. It’s probably my bad posture over the years or I didn’t adjust it right. Has anyone any similar experiences or advice?

Anonymous

I agree the back feels stiff and unpadded. That’s why I got the Logitech version. It’s still stiff but not as stiff as the original

Anonymous

Be like me who has sat on a rickety wood chair for months and now I’m pretty sure the cheapest Ikea shit will feel like the most expensive Gayman Miller placebo chair

Anonymous

gotta have a desk with adjustable desk otherwise your ergonomics still suffer depends on the desk you have

Anonymous

have you ever tried standing up in front of your laptop/pc? way better anon believe me

Anonymous

what the fuck no lol, I do cooking while standing and that shit gets old fast

you want to take pressure OFF your body and joints, thats what a chair is for

Anonymous

I’m willing to bet half an hour of free walking each day beats a 1000$ upgrade in chair fancyness, with regards to back health

Anonymous

I’m willing to bet you’re a genuine scrotebrain

Anonymous

Do you perhaps have some extenuating circumstance, like an injury or obesity? That’d change the equation I guess

Anonymous

10 minutes of paid walking is more than enough

Anonymous

I have back problems and had to look into this issue seriously to alleviate my pains, and you’re 100% right. People who’re experts on posture and back problems recommend firm chairs + getting up periodically during work and doing some very basic stretching. Getting the height of your screen, keyboard, chair etc. right is more important than how many adjustable widgets your chair has. The rest is just consoomerism.
        Walking is the best possible thing you can do for your back and has actual healing effects. The next thing you can do is core exercises like planks.

Anonymous

I lurked Craigslist for months in the spring until I managed to come across a basic Aeron size B for like $250 or $300 idr
      It’s not like as comfy as like melting into a feather couch while doing drugs or anything but it definitely doesn’t get uncomfortable like a cheap chair would after an hour or two

Anonymous

Anyone here have experience buying from madison seating?

Anonymous

>falling for the ”ergonomic” chair garden gnome
      lmao

Anonymous

>costs $300+
        >leather peels after a year
        >seat flat as a pancake after 6 months
        >armrests adjustable never

Anonymous

american detected

Anonymous

I got the Logitech one for around $1180 USD coming in next week. I hope I like it.

Anonymous

And if not?

Anonymous

Don’t know, try to sell it locally I guess. Would cost a shit load to send back.

Anonymous

Take the floor chair pill.

Anonymous

find an authorized dealer and you can get 30-40% off the retail price. I was told that I couldn’t return so that’s the only downside. The chair is still shipped from HM and you get the full warranty.

Anonymous

what’s an example of an authorized dealer?

Anonymous

Fuck that guy, check craigslist. That’s where you’ll find discounted new chairs. They deliver too

Anonymous

i bought a second hand aeron last year for wfh and it’s been good. only issue is that it’s a bit wobbly.
      > $1900 AUD
      where is it on sale in australia?

Anonymous

its not officially released here. grey import or 2nd hand is the only options.

Anonymous

I’d love to buy a Herman miller but I’m poor and no used one exist in the local used market

Anonymous

Dunno if they’re a meme, but I’ll be buying this at some point. Retails 770USD

Anonymous

Headrest = instant pass for me. Im 6’6 and headrests just hit my shoulders

Same with fixed position lumbar supports

Anonymous

Wow you are tall. 198cm

Anonymous

>Wow you are tall
            thanks sis, I’ve never been told that before

Actually its a joke amongst tall people where we’re so used to being told ‘wow you’re tall’ but the second we see someone as tall or taller than us the first thing we say to them is "wow you’re tall!"

Anonymous

I’m 201 cm or 6’7". I’m from the Netherlands so it’s not that special, but I’m still taller than most people I see. With my oversized sneakers I’m around 6’9

Anonymous

I believe the lumbar support is flexible and bends with pressure

Anonymous

>non-mesh seat
        filtered

Anonymous

I’ve been thinking of picking up one in black(as they get stained pretty easily) from my local office supplies store for around 600USD in Thailand.

A lot of review here says that they are okay for the price, it’s a tad bit too tall for most Asian manlets (if you aren’t taller than 180cm, your legs would probably be hanging as the gas cylinder is pretty tall), the aluminum base is sturdy but the wheels however, looks a bit cheaped out though.

Anonymous

HM Aeron with 12y warranty is all you need

Anonymous

IKEA Markus chair is all I need.

Anonymous

I don’t regret my purchase
      But I work from home and that would have been the money I would have spent on transit.
      Never buy stuff without purpose OP

Also I used to get lower back pain with a Aeron and the embody completely nullified that for me.
      On the flip side a friend of mine had the reverse experience.

Anonymous

dont buy an ergonomic chair if you like to lie back in your chair for longer than a few minutes. theyre designed to be used upright with minimal time spent reclining. i have an aeron at work and its great but would hate it at home.

Anonymous

Ur wrong. Ideally you sit slightly leaned back, distributing your weight across your legs and back equally. Nobody can sit up straight for hours

Anonymous

if you want to lie back and relax then ergo chairs are shit in terms of comfort

Anonymous

If you mean laying far back, then yes, they aren’t really ideal for that. Then again I don’t think any chairs are. I have a giant ass gamer chair that reclines to 180 degrees but even that isn’t comfortable, even with a leg rest.

Anonymous

plenty of chairs that are comfy if youre not a poorscrote. i got a stressless mayfair 6 years ago and its better than my recliner in the lounge but costs more than most peoples entire computer setup.

Anonymous

I like to sit cross legged, can I do that with this chair?

Anonymous

Doesn’t matter how much it costs if it can’t be altered to suit your height and build.
      As much as there is gaymer tax on literally anything with coloured pleather and LEDs, there’s tax on high end shit that is simply known as being high end.
      Go and sit on them first. If you’re spending the coin, the least you can do for yourself is try it yourself, fuck reviews and fuck salesmen.

Anonymous

Seconding.
        Had a neat back injury late last year and ended up getting an otherwise nondescript ergo office chair with no armrests and some gay buttplug lumbar pump.
        Literally went from being unable to sit in a chair for 5 hours a day with breaks every hour, to almost falling asleep sitting upright. Absolutely try out as many chairs as you can, don’t worry about "cred" when making the decision about your comfort with your money.

Anonymous

no price is too much to pay for comfort while doing the thing you spend 75% of your free time doing

Anonymous

test

Anonymous

thinking about getting a Steelcase Gesture since I can get a huge discount, but it probably won’t have a headrest which would be a big minus

Anonymous

I got a Gesture with headrest and I never used it… I’d say the adjustable lumbar support (which I don’t have) would be better.

Anonymous

The headrest is great. What sucks about this chair is that the cushioning isn’t thick enough. I had some bad tailbone pain for the first 2 months of use.

Anonymous

definitely worth it.

I’ve had this $2000 chair for almost two decades now and only had to change out the gel pads on the armrests because they got hard.
      Cushioning is still plush and the fabric has not worn out, aside from discoloration from the sun on the top part of the backrest.
      I have it in blue.

Shit is built to last and is very comfy.

My oldest sis has one too. He used to weigh 300+lbs and his still works, but his is all gross since he doesn’t know how to clean. Or it could be just because it was yellow. Who knows.

Anonymous

>or another attempt for Israel to get my money?
      this.
      I bought one, sat in it, my back started hurting, I bonked with the settings like mad.
      Ended up returning it. I bought the same ass one in your pic.
      About as good/bad as the cheap ass staples "ergonomic" chairs they forced on us at work.

Anonymous

Since you live in Australia.
      Look for chairs with those ergo stickers and a long ass warranty.
      They’ll be pretty good.

Anonymous

I bought a Secretlab Titan a few months back and its hands down the best seating experience I’ve had when it comes to long (10+ hours) seating sessions. As a 195 95kg male I found it really hard to stay comfortable in all kinds of ergo or office chairs. I’ve sat in the cheapest of chairs you could get in ikea to the 1000$+ cost office chairs. The Secretlab is unmatched for its price and as long as you get a non gamery trim it looks pretty good as well. Being able to recline to literally lay down is also pretty comf when watching stuff

Anonymous

How tall are you?

Anonymous

its in the post, 195 cm

Anonymous

Ah, thought you were 195yrs old.

Anonymous

I’m almost in the same boat as you. I have a 21 year old Aeron and while it’s really good, I just think it’s not for me. Doesn’t give me enough freedom because I like to sit weird and move around sometimes. As the saying goes, the best posture is the next posture.
        So the Titan is what I’m looking at now. Can you sit in it differently? Like cross legged? I’m also shorter and heavier than you. Right now I’d be over the recommended weight but under the weight limit. Can you provide any insight into that? I just find it odd that there are 2 different weight stats. I don’t wanna stress the thing so I’ll be losing weight before buying it for sure.
        It really does seem to be cut from a different cloth than all the other "gaming" chairs that this board seems to lump it in with all the time. And I get why, gaming chairs are all awful. I really hope it’s truly just a plain good chair with unfortunate marketing.

Anonymous

i fell for they gaymer chair meme a couple years ago and freaking hate sitting on it, not really that comfy for long sessions. what’s a good chair for like 2-300? any with the third axis to pivot the cushion back? it’ll get me to stop throwing my legs over my desk which for long sessions is bad for my back im pretty sure

Anonymous

I have a HM Aeron 2. After years of back pain from a sports injury and herniated disk, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that no amount of money is too much for a decent desk chair. I don’t know whether I could have gotten an equal one for less or if the aeron is only the tip of the iceberg, but I can say unequivocally that the pain and frustration you are in for, and you will be even with a sport injury, is the worst experience you can give to someone. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Treat yourself and spend the money. I worked out that at 8 hours a day, 5days a week, for the 12 years that the parts warranty lasts, I would sit in it 25,000 hours. Spend. The. Money.

Anonymous

>Spend. The. Money.
        The Aeron is a fantastic chair precisely because it’s CHEAP second-hand. I paid 250 bucks for mine a decade ago.

Anonymous

Where can you realistically get those ? Here office decommissioned items are just thrown in the trash

Anonymous

I got mine off ebay.

Anonymous

Can you DIY fix sagging mesh seat?
      I saw a good one in my local store but it’s not one of those branded chair.

Anonymous

Just spent 50 bucks on a posturefit for my Aeron, I should’ve really just spent the extra back when I bought it. I thought I could just get it later, but it took freaking forever for a kit to pop up on ebay.

Anonymous

any german who knows which shops have HM or Steelcase chairs where i can test them?

Anonymous

ah nein ich möchte jetzt in den stuhl sitzen gib das mich

Anonymous

I think spending more than $700 on a chair is scrotebrained

But then again I keep falling for these $200 chairs with the peeling fake leather

Anonymous

with the amount of testimonials i hear of these chairs lasting decades, I think it’s worth it.
        $200 every 2-3 years is more than $1000 every 20 years.

Anonymous

Next time I get a chair it’s gonna be $500 made of nice fabric. maybe secretlab. I can avoid the peeling BS as well as the $2000 scams.

Anonymous

that’s actually what I’m leaning towards doing too. $500 is reasonable as long as the chair is truly as sturdy and comfortable as it appears.

Anonymous

>Are high end desk chairs worth it or another attempt for Israel to get my money?
      BOTH
      They are worth it and giant hook nosed garden gnomes want your money

Anonymous

Try out the chair before buying it. As a /fit/izen (185cm 90kg), my back was too wide for the Herman Miller Embody, so I bought the Aeron (size C) instead. I can sit on the chair for an entire day without any pain. It did take 3 weeks before I could sit comfortable in the chair though. The mesh barely gives in initially and you end up with numb legs.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/bct6N6d.gif

Why does everyone in this thread think a new good quality chair is superior to a used good quality chair?

Save the $200 you would otherwise spend on a new shitty office chair and get a used old one, easy.

I got an Aeron classic that had a broken lean-back lock and used-up cylinder. Lean lock was an easy $1 fix, new cylinders are cheap, and I even got some fancy rollers for a chair I am assured will last at least another 10 years.

Let’s say I spent $400 (max) on it. 10 years at 5 hours per day on average comes to 18250 hours / $400 = 2 cents per hour.

The oppurtunity cost of having a bad chair is definitely more than that, so it’s well worth it, probably even if you buy new.

Anonymous

Recommend me a chair for 300 or less I’m not paying the price of a car for a chair.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

> 300
        > price of a car

damn fuck the chair and get yourself a better car, just because you can doesn’t mean you should

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.