Are hardware backdoors real?

Home Forums General & off-topic Are hardware backdoors real?

• This topic has 72 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

?

Anonymous

yeah it’s real I was there

Anonymous

>It doesn’t matter if you’re using Windows, Linux Mac OS X, Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux
      That poster is a scrotebrain

Anonymous

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
      Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Yes, but not really, except when it is, except it isn’t, but it is

Anonymous

2 more weeks

Anonymous

Can software ever disable hardware backdoors?
      If not, can it mitigate them at least?

Anonymous

No.

Anonymous

Why do you come here if you don’t have the faintest idea how computers work?

Anonymous

That’s like asking if a GTA V character can find out who programmed the game and go their house in real life to kill them

Anonymous

We must not insist on cherry picking Donald Trump. This affects EVERYONE who uses a computer with Intel’s ME, therefore it spies on everyone. And we must get rid of it ASAP.

Anonymous

Not to accidentally defend Intlel but doesn’t AMD have it’s own version?

Anonymous

Yes, amd’s platform security processor (PSP)

Anonymous

It does. I don’t hear as much screeching about PSP or leaks from AMD people about it. Does anyone here have any info on what PSP is capable of compared to ME?

Anonymous

There’s much less information available about it and no-one has successfully reverse engineered or removed it

Anonymous

It helped AMD they implemented their backdoor later than Intel, the latest unpozzed CPU you can get is on AM3+ socket.

Anonymous

Until now AMD didn’t have that big of a market share for it to matter. Now that it’s picking up steam there are people starting to look into it now. Give it a few years and you’ll start seeing the results of people analysing it.
            On paper it’s the same shit as ME. Not that it stops the scrotebrained fanboys on this board from talking about how shit ME is and how great AMD is, conviniently ignoring all posts that mention PSP.

Anonymous

There’s much less information available about it and no-one has successfully reverse engineered or removed it

That’s kind of what i’m worried about with AMD systems. Everybody knows what a hot turd the ME is and the regular screeching has ensured that some people have made the effort to come up with tools to more or less neuter it. I have never read anything about an AMD equivalent of a me_cleaner though, does it exist? These days it’s hard not to go for AMD as their cpus are clearly better in every metric.

Anonymous

Why would I care about the privacy of the man who caused the Trump Virus?

Anonymous

Two social credit points added to your score, now dance white monkey, or we will remove the rest.

Anonymous

>If you have an i3, i5, or i7 then you’re completely owned by the intelligence community
      Phew, I thought I might have to throw out my i9-11900K for a second there.

Anonymous

Kek

Anonymous

Wow, the OPs pic is really cool.
      Now how about some FUCKIN EVIDENCE?

lukesmith.xyz

>Has full access to the TCP/IP stack
      What TCP/IP stack? There is none in your network card. There is very likely one in your BIOS/UEFI.
      Still, how do they get control of your network card while it is shared with an OS? Do they live patch the OS?
      This phrasing does not imply much knowledge on his part.

Also network traffic can be seen by a MITM sniffer. You can also setup a network environment where a separate machine tunnels HTTPS for you and you can only make HTTP connections so your little MITM machine can see all traffic. Use some ARM SBC as a MITM box and do not give it actual network access, just passthrough the data. If you’re savvy enough you can use two network cards/ports and connect their RX pins to the RX/TX (not exactly what it is called by the standard but whatever) of a single UTP cable and sniff traffic both ways if you don’t want a hub.

Anonymous

>What TCP/IP stack? There is none in your network card. There is very likely one in your BIOS/UEFI.
        There is a full TCP/IP stack in the network card, in most models actually since it has hardware offloads for most functions. In case of Intel NICs capable of AMT there’s also a separate side-channel to the chipset using NC-SI, so that Intel ME has a direct, unaudited path to the proprietary blackboxed NIC.
        If AMT is present then the network card is capable of firewalling, network filtering, throttling and so on (https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/HLAPI_Documentation/default.htm?turl=Documents%2Fhowsystemdefenseworks.htm). How do you think this is done above the operating system at line speed if not in the network "card"?
        >Still, how do they get control of your network card while it is shared with an OS? Do they live patch the OS?
        It requires no OS at all, it works with the computer being off. This is common knowledge – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#Networking
        >This phrasing does not imply much knowledge on his part.
        >Also network traffic can be seen by a MITM sniffer. You can also setup a network environment where a separate machine tunnels HTTPS for you and you can only make HTTP connections so your little MITM machine can see all traffic. Use some ARM SBC as a MITM box and do not give it actual network access, just passthrough the data. If you’re savvy enough you can use two network cards/ports and connect their RX pins to the RX/TX (not exactly what it is called by the standard but whatever) of a single UTP cable and sniff traffic both ways if you don’t want a hub.
        Cool blog. The point is that Intel has documented most of it and is selling the capability as a product (Intel AMT). For *some* reason they are including the necessary parts even in mainstream motherboards. What could possibly that be used for?

Anonymous

>it works with the computer being off
          *unplugs from the wall*
          nothing personnel kiddo

Anonymous

The motherboard has a really nice battery. 🙂

Anonymous

I removed mine

Anonymous

The botnet has all the time in the world to collect every piece of information the moment you turn your computer on.

Anonymous

>What could possibly that be used for?
          Overbearing corporations use it to manage their systems. Cheap server hosts usually use shitty desktops and use AMT for resets and monitoring.
          But most likely it’s because it’s cheaper. A lot of the chipsets are just rebranded variations of each other with different enabled capabilities, so vPro makes it into most of them.

Anonymous

You can’t use AMT with no AMT enablement on the motherboard. But the hardware for it is conveniently left there with an excuse of it being cheaper 🙂
            Of course Intel is known for its security.

Anonymous

>If AMT is present then the network card is capable of firewalling, network filtering, throttling and so on
          I’m not up to date on integrated Intel stuff, thanks for the info kind stranger. I’ll have to read up on stuff I guess.

>Cool blog. The point is that Intel has documented most of it and is selling the capability as a product
          The point I was trying to make here is that a) strange behavior can be checked for: IDS/IPS.
          b) network level protections should be in place at any serious company or at anyone who does stuff which requires security.
          A general purpose machine with internet access used for internet browsing is expected to be compromised sooner or later. It is bad OPSEC to expect otherwise regardless of Intel or not. Even airgapping is a thing.
          Of course, you’re correct that this makes the average consumer bonked in the ass.

Anonymous

>I’m not up to date on integrated Intel stuff, thanks for the info kind stranger. I’ll have to read up on stuff I guess.
            Most people don’t realize that classical PC peripherals have stopped being simple some time ago.
            Most network cards, HDDs, SSDs contain full computers with complex RTOS, a lot of RAM and multicore CPUs. Hell, even Intel ME is a 3-core x86 embedded in the chipset since Skylake.
            There is a reason that there isn’t a single 802.11ac or newer wireless card that can function without loading up firmware to it. It’s simply too expensive to implement all of it in pure hardware. Also gives an opportunity for silent backdoors, etc.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>source: sis trust me
      kek anyone who believes this needs to choke to death on their meds

Anonymous

this has been common knowledge for over a decade. you need to take a cyanide pill if you think this is too crazy or whatever.

Anonymous

It was used to "hack" Epik

Anonymous

>flags AND IDs
      How come only /poo/ gets that luxury? This board would become much better if we had those

Anonymous

This. Let’s protest by posting brave in every thread till mods sort this shit out

Anonymous

IIRC some documents from Snowden’s leak showed that the CIA considered Tails and Veracrypt to be a "disaster" level threat to their efforts. This guy was larping

Anonymous

Imagine not just violating your NDA but probably committing treason just to make a post on an anonymous anime imageboard.

Anonymous

>4 years later
      >still no future leaks or search results when searching for ODIN’S EYE (other than the post itself)
      and people still fall for that shitpost.

Anonymous

Here’s some actual sources:

Marble framework which can compromise:
      CDs/DVDs
      Apple products
      Cisco
      Smartphones/tablets
      Messaging services
      Vehicle control systems
      Windows

Source: Wikileaks – Vault 7

JTRIG
      Source: Snowden leaks

I can’t find anything related to Intel or other processors being compromised.

OP’s post sounds more like someone shilling for AMD.

Anonymous

>OP’s post sounds more like someone shilling for AMD.
        But AMD has PSP which is probably as bad as ME.
        ARM has TrustZone. Only IBM POWER has nothing like that.
        Damn those IBM shills…

Anonymous

>runs while turned off
      Press X to doubt.

Anonymous

Once it was rolled into a trump conspiracy you knew it was qanon tier schizo garbage.

Anonymous

>be whistleblower
      >basically put a biography into the post so intel can find out who OP is
      trust me sis, legit info!

Anonymous

don’t forget
        >posting on the clearnet

Anonymous

>trump was spied on
      not
      >banks, rotschilds, putin, iran, israel…
      drumpftard schizoid post.

Anonymous

Trump lost.

Anonymous

Use a librebooted iMac if you don’t want it

Anonymous

There’s no such thing as a librebooted iMac

Anonymous

>Years later and no one has still pulled it apart or successfully analyzed if me_cleaner works
      >Zero noise from congress about the obvious circumvention of cpu serial number rulings or privacy concerns this makes

Anonymous

How is the ME even legal? The US just does whatever the fuck it wants to…
      Wouldn’t it be very profitable for a new company to rise and start selling open source hardware? It’s not like everyone has the means to replicate the hardware at home.

Anonymous

its real and its been proven in a NL/GER colab paper in 2013 done by two university research teams. problem is: if you talk about it too much on public media you get disappeared.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/aALs9Rb.gif

research Minix
        read kaminsky
        don’t dig too deep
        good luck

Anonymous

>Early versions of MINIX were created by Andrew S. Tanenbaum for educational purposes
          >Tanenbaum

Anonymous

Yeah, but later versions were created by Gus Z. Joost, so it’s fine.

Anonymous

>03/22/17
      Wow, it’s nothing.

Anonymous

what the fuck is this thread?
      why the fuck is there so much shilling against this shit?
      freaking intel shills and ciascrotes are forcing a narrative now

Anonymous

has anyone actually detected this network traffic coming from a computer?

Anonymous

no

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.