Apple’s $9 USB to 3.5mm dongle outperforms DACs worth thousands

Home Forums Science & Tech Apple’s $9 USB to 3.5mm dongle outperforms DACs worth thousands

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Apple’s USB to 3.5mm dongle
      Costs $9
      Outperforms the vast majority of "audiophile" DACs and sound cards
      Even ones that cost thousands of dollars

How?

Anonymous

I use this for my speakers, better than my shitty mobo for sure.

Anonymous

100db SINAD

Anonymous

This may be hard to believe but some of us aren’t sound engineers. What am I looking at?

Anonymous

In layman’s terms: if you were to listen to something at 100db (very loud), the noise floor on this dongle is -100db below that so 0db i.e. inaudible.

The theoretical limit of human hearing is -115db but that’s never gonna happen, practically it’s around 85db in ideal conditions and 80db with music playing.

Basically the $9 Apple dongle is beyond the practical limits of human hearing.

Anonymous

How does it compare to the built-in audio output for Macs?

Anonymous

Most motherboards are in the 75-80db mark I think

Anonymous

Maybe budget boards from 15 years ago

Anonymous

Nah
              They fucking gimp audio if you dare ask for a fair priced board nowadays
              MSI Z490-a pro has more problematic audio than some cheap crystal audio codac from 20 years ago

Anonymous

It is indeed very good. The only problem is that it’s a bit fragile.

Macs and iPhones have very good onboard audio usually, so I’d expect it to be about the same.

Is this anon right? Can no one blow him the fuck out? Are you all liars trying to trick me into wasting $9?

No, he’s a retard. The frequency response is fine. Just look at the measurements.

>Outperforms most audiophile DACs.
          Are you an idiot?

It doesn’t outperform them in measurements maybe, but it’s just as good in practice. Beyond a certain point there is no difference between sound cards, except if you have demanding headphones that need lots of power.

Anonymous

If you want melanoidbass then you dont want a flat curve anyway

>can’t even properly provide low frequencies to studio monitors
            >dude the bass is fine
            Yeah sure, mouth breathing dipshit

Anonymous

>It doesn’t outperform them in measurements
            So it’s worse? You’re comparing a Civic to a Ferrari. They work the same in principle but they are vastly different and serve very different markets. The only difference is audiophile gear is usually overbuilt and more reliable unlike a Ferrari.

Anonymous

>So it’s worse?
              If it sounds the same to human ears, is it worse?

>You’re comparing a Civic to a Ferrari …
              Get your head out of your ass, man. I’m sorry that you fell for memes and wasted money for no reason, but we’re all anonymous here bro, no need to cope so hard.

Anonymous

I should have clarified. I’m not an audiophile nor do I own any audio equipment beyond some cheap ($35) Samson headphones. I think audiophile stuff is just as stupid as a Ferrari and suffers from extreme diminishing returns.

All that being said I have tried both an entry level DAC (~$60) and the headphone dongle. I can attest there is a difference in the experience. A dedicated DAC is considerably more clear and makes a pretty big difference in sound quality.

Anonymous

These THD levels are crazy low.

Anonymous

Holy shit. This is amazing. I’m so hard right now.

Anonymous

OMFG. I almost creamed my underwear whence I gazed upon this image in full resolution. Fortunately I was able to calm myself…

Anonymous

A high SNR/SINAD is easy to achieve if your DAC can’t even pump out decent voltage/power.

Anonymous

Why is it creating harmonics roflmao

Anonymous

Everything creates harmonics, retard.

Anonymous

Most likely noise created by the limited bitwidth of the sine wave ie 16 bits.

Anonymous

uh are you sure thats the USB-C version, the usb-c was worse than the lightning one iirc

Anonymous

1 – it probably doesn’t
      2 – its not a dac, its a simple adapter since usb-c support analog audio i/o, so the dac itself is on the iphones/ipads

Anonymous

Apple’s dongle is an actual DAC

Anonymous

Apple USB-C Digital to 3.5 mm Headphone Adapter Teardown

The CS46L06 isn’t publicly documented, but if it looks like a DAC, quacks like a DAC and has a product number similar to Cirrus’ other DACs…

hmm cool. Is the lightning to 3.5mm the same?

Anonymous

Yes. It’s not the same chip but there’s a DAC in the old adapter as well. Lightning is not designed for analog audio.

Anonymous

This is the chip on the lighting adapter
              Another custom Apple part but still is a DAC as far as anyone can tell

nice

Anonymous

This is the chip on the lighting adapter
            Another custom Apple part but still is a DAC as far as anyone can tell

Anonymous

Apple USB-C Digital to 3.5 mm Headphone Adapter Teardown

The CS46L06 isn’t publicly documented, but if it looks like a DAC, quacks like a DAC and has a product number similar to Cirrus’ other DACs…

Anonymous

I stand corrected then

Anonymous

Yes, you sure AF have been corrected faggot

Anonymous

Leave anon alone, the mark of a respectable man is the ability to admit when you’re wrong. Only the media and fragile, unstable faggots don’t have the capacity for humility

Anonymous

If you’re so much of a hopeless poorfag you can’t afford even a measly Topping D10S I don’t know what to tell you anon.

It does outperform the vast majority of them but that’s just like everything: the vast majority of products on the market are absolute garbage with lots of marketing over it. This guy doesn’t really own anyone on LULZ anyway.

Anonymous

The Topping doesn’t sound any better, so why the fuck would you pay an extra $100 for it?
          >I don’t know what to tell you anon.
          Exactly, you don’t.

Anonymous

It factually does though.

Anonymous

Show me a factual blind listening test or fuck off.

And I just noticed that it doesn’t even have a headphone out.
              >sounds the same
              >no headphone output
              >costs $100 more
              Audiophiles are the biggest retards ever lmao

Anonymous

You won’t find any for your dongle either. Why should I bother with the dongle at all then ? Surely the chang ching garbo I can buy for a dollar is just the same in use since they don’t have any ABX tests to back them up.
                Also it’s headphone output is just serviceable and performance tanks hard with even slightly higher impedance headphones.
                The apple dongle is also incapable of outputting a proper line level signal and is therefore complete shit if you want to plug it into anything else.

Anonymous

it has to be a DAC, running 3.5mm audio through USB C pins like most android manufacturers is outside of the standard

Anonymous

>running 3.5mm audio through USB C pins like most android manufacturers is outside of the standard
          that would imply that there is any standard at all with ubs-c

Anonymous

>running 3.5mm audio through USB C pins like most android manufacturers is outside of the standard
          analog audio passthrough is in the USB-C standard, see page 309 here:
          https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/USB%20Type-C%20Spec%20R2.0%20-%20August%202019.pdf

Anonymous

oh thats weird

I thought when Google was asked why they don’t do it on the Pixel they said something like "we conform to the standard"

I suppose this makes having two standards of headphone adapter even more retarded though

Anonymous

My pixel two does analog over usb c, I’m pretty sure my gf’s pixel 3 does too.

Anonymous

So my usb c earphones have a dac in them?

Anonymous

Almost certainly yes, they have a tiny sound card.

Anonymous

Almost certainly yes, they have a tiny sound card.

I’d say it’s about 90% chance they do. Plug it in your PC and see if it shows up as an audio device.
            You can probably see this in Android too, but I don’t know where to look.

Anonymous

Will try a bit later.

Anonymous

I plugged it in my pc but it behaves like a normal headphone. Audio output switched to it, no pop up that said it’s a new device but in audio settings is listed as an audio device for output.

Anonymous

>in audio settings is listed as an audio device for output
                So it’s a sound card.

If it wasn’t you wouldn’t get any sound from those headphones on a PC. That analog pass-though bullshit only exists on some phones.

Anonymous

Yes. DAC/AMP chips are so small now they can fit them into a slightly above average sized connector base

Anonymous

Since when does Apple care about following standards?

Analog over USB-C pins is obviously the superior way.
          That way you don’t need a bulky adapter/dongle if the headphones have a USB-C connector instead of 3.5mm.
          Higher end headphones with replaceable cables can simply be converted to USB-C.

Anonymous

>Not my hekin standarinos
          Cry more itodler

Anonymous

>since usb-c support analog audio i/o
        But can you name a device that uses that?

Anonymous

Friendly reminder: The EU version has a different design and far worse characteristics. It has only 0.5Vrms of maximum output compared to the 1.5 of the US version because of some retarded French law that they try to comply with for the entire Euro region. Chinks are even selling fakes with the US serial no.

Anonymous

>honhon l’itoddlers btfo

Anonymous

you’re able to bypass this by using certain apps that take direct control of the dac chip and you can put the volume quite a bit higher
        however it won’t if the app doesn’t have direct dac control support (most streaming services)

Anonymous

It’s still a different design with worse characteristics overall. Really not worth the money

Anonymous

>you’re able to bypass this by using certain apps that take direct control of the dac chip and you can put the volume quite a bit higher

Source?

Anonymous

i can’t find it now, but apps like UAPP allow for direct DAC control and allow you to get the volume quite high

Anonymous

Absolute dogshit bass response.

Anonymous

>Outperforms
      >barely 3Vpp
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anonymous

This crap is a subscription service if you actually use it

Anonymous

So what’s the penalty for using this as a DAC only with an external amp?

Anonymous

None. I have an EU spec one and it drives my 250 ohm DT880s to an acceptable volume. It’s better than my Fiio E10 as it doesn’t have the stupid delay and pop after a period of silence.

Anonymous

>USB-C dongles
      >pushing lightning on iPhones
      They just want to sell 2 dongles for everything, srsly

Anonymous

Signal to noise ratio has not been relevant for decades.

Anonymous

>Outperforms most audiophile DACs.
      Are you an idiot?

Anonymous

0.9 ohms output and the sinad posted above

audiophile dacs are around 10-1.x
        even the lauded creative cards has about 100 ohms output (higher = worse, less bass accuracy)
        also most gamer motherboards that came with alc1220 dac are kinda very very poorly implemented

Anonymous

Let me guess, you "need" more

Anonymous

Let me guess, you "need" more

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

>Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up. Again, all four devices sounded great.

Anonymous

Snibeti snab x–D

Anonymous

Yes I need some real ADCs

Anonymous

>some real ADCs
            REALtek got you covered, m80.

Anonymous

I tried that and got unusable garbage. Sounded like 22Khz stuff
              Recording the same source with a proper sound card produced expected quality so the issue was with the realkek ADC

Anonymous

Dunno what to say, works fine for me. I even measured it and got great results, better than my cheap USB sound card in fact. But it’s a new expensive mobo.

Anonymous

your mobo maker has cheap implementation that is introducing noise. don’t blame crab.

Anonymous

>use shitty speakers
          >everything sounds the same
          proves nothing

Anonymous

>sennheiser hd800
            >shitty speakers
            Sure thing m8

Anonymous

The Asus laptop I have now sounds worse than my old Acer laptop. It’s the same fucking chip. Another anon in this thread said your onboard audio can suffer if your board manufacturer has a shit implementation. So yeah I do need more. I’m aware it’s not realtek’s fault but it sounds like shit.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

I had one of the variants of this.

It was amazing with a good setup and fantastic for mic shit.

Anonymous

>"bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Anonymous

I absolutely love this meme. Keeps good sound card prices down, thanks.

Anonymous

tfw when PCI is dead

Anonymous

Modern AM4 boards with PCI still exist and these cards also work with PCIe adapters.

Anonymous

Nice to know they work with PCIe adapters anon, thanks. I built last year and couldn’t find a nice mb with pci.

Anonymous

It’s very common to focus on the dac chip itself and not the rest of the circuitry in the device. Stable power supply and avoiding noise are more important. These are responsible for the variations in quality between motherboards with the same realtek dac. The $2 chip was never the problem. Its actually great. Many audiophile companies focus on marketing rather than engineering. Reminds me of old Schitt being loved by audiophiles despite breaking headphones and measuring far worse than 2006 macbooks. I am glad the new dongle is so cheap. Audio is long solved and quality should cost no more than 10 dollars.

Anonymous

Don’t most realkek chips use external DACs?

Anonymous

the realtek chip is the dac, I think you mean external amps, and yes.

Anonymous

Simplest design.
      Anything more complex/elaborated is just snake oil and actually hampers audio quality.

Anonymous

I use mine with a Pixel

I used a cable sheath and a tie to try and reinforce it and make it last longer

Anonymous

That’s kinda autistic, but also reasonable.

How is the volume on the Pixel? On my Android phone it’s much quieter than in Windows. I have the US version.

Anonymous

I did it because the cable is so thin, probably would have been ok with just the sheath

The minimum volume is fine on mine it can go quite low to barely audible

I’m using an EU Pixel 4 Xl with GrapheneOS

Anonymous

just buy a dongle dac without terrible apple build quality. the apple one is good but there are plenty that as just as good or better with cables that don’t instantly break.

Anonymous

because audiophile shit is even more of a scam than apple products

Anonymous

This is what I use, best 30$ I’ve spent. The model is Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (CS43131 dac).

Anonymous

Here’s some benchmarks if anyone’s curious.

Anonymous

>comes with high-res audio sticker you can put on anything

SOLD!

Anonymous

I have one and also love it but the cable connecter snapped off in my pocket so I ordered a new one and it also snapped off and I have no idea where the fuck else to get a tiny mini usb to lighting cable.

Anonymous

based

Anonymous

ok

Anonymous

>being forced to consoom a core feature that most phones have nowadays for just $10
      >bragging about how outperforms muh audiphile headphones
      nos surprises here

Anonymous

>that most phones have nowadays
        haven’t pretty much all flagships ditched 3.5mm?

Anonymous

Loudness is shot on Android unless you have a music player with hardware volume like UAPP or HibyMusic

Anonymous

MUH APPUL

Anonymous

(retard question alert)
      when used on a windows 10 machine, will it support the mic of its attached heaphones as well?

Anonymous

yes but you will need a breakout cable since most motherboard don’t have combo jacks. you need a cable that breaks a headset cable into audio and mic, then feed the mic into the mic in port and hope the power delivery is enough. you can test/set gain and stuff in realtek settings. as an audio device it will be realtek mic in.

Anonymous

ty, anon

Anonymous

Maybe a longshot, but do you know of one of these things that can do 24-bit 48 khz? Every one I see is 16-bit 24 khz at best

Anonymous

forgot pic

Anonymous

The apple one in OP supports 24/48

Anonymous

I need one with both a headphone jack and microphone jack like in this pic

forgot pic

Anonymous

>his sound card does not contain dedicated RAM

Anonymous

retarded sound card user

Anonymous

sour grapes cope

Anonymous

The best implementation of realtek exist on a the few Altec Lansing / Dolby laptops and mostly those are old VAIO/Apple devices that even have DSD support and better audio line-in support (even realtek can record in DSD).
        Even the fact is realtek/idt and another manufacturer I can’t remember are the only ones who implement consumer DSD tech and have exclusive dolby/beats support.
        Creative isn’t even great. It’s just third-party line-in for people who can’t afford shit and has shitty surround tech / a dolby clone that performs worse pic related is the recent model, somewhat rolled off bass and trash impedance out response.

>SB X-Fi
        >36 Ohm (poor)
        Enjoy your rolled off sub-bass. You will never hear 808.

Anonymous

The source for my HD600 is my motherboard. 0 issues. Bought a Dac and amp, sounded exactly the same, returned it to jeff for free. Fuck all you memeing muh dac retards

Anonymous

HD600 is surprisingly good without a dedicated amp. the only noticeable improvement i’ve heard is with some $1000+ solid state amp i tried at a meet, and at that point you’re better served with fancier headphones
        i use a cheap dac/amp combo just so i can have a volume knob next to my keyboard (and pre out to my speaker system). if you don’t care about a volume knob or pre out, integrated pc audio is usually fine.

Anonymous

You’re telling me that piece of shit dongle I bought, which should rightfully be bundled with the phone, is better than the Schiit stack that I use? Doubt it.

Anonymous

Are you saying I should buy this for my android phone

Anonymous

>onboard audio randomly stops working less than a year after I buy my pc
      >"Failed to play test tone"
      >turn off enhancements
      >nothing
      >try updating and reinstalling realtek drivers
      >nothing
      >finally just get Apple 3.5mm to USB-C dongle
      >Works perfectly and sound is even better than before
      Why is realtek so shit, bros?

Anonymous

Realtek isn’t bad
        It’s the retards behind putting it on your boards
        Literally no one cares to do it right anymore

Anonymous

>Realtek isn’t bad
          Hahahahahahshshs

Anonymous

There’s plenty of good Realtek DACs, same with Cirrus Logic, etc. It depends on the implementation more than on the brand name of the DAC, as long as the DAC itself is good on paper.

Anonymous

>There’s plenty of good Realtek DACs
              Hahahahahahah

Anonymous

Most DACs roll out the same fabs with little real world difference these days, it’s a technology that was perfected for mass production 20 years ago already. It hit the ceiling ages ago when it comes to cheap mass produced parts.

Anonymous

Friendly reminder that snibbety crab is what killed the soundcards, by the virtue of making integrated sound outperform an expensive dedicated peripheral.

Anonymous

Sound cards weren’t really that expensive when onboard was still rare or just bad. Plus at the time, sound cards themselves weren’t always that good either.

Anonymous

stop buying cheap gigabyte/asus trash motherboard. entry-level gaming boards are mostly shit.

>There’s plenty of good Realtek DACs
        Hahahahahahah

>Realtek isn’t bad
        Hahahahahahshshs

All "gaming dual alc dac" motherboard have shit implementation and I’m surprised that those gaming boards don’t even have enough funds or wits to put solid state caps in there. Makes sense why there’s so many topics of those boards dying randomly too.
        You can literally see how the board is implemented from its image and usually the PCIe lanes do not even have caps, worse is if you have a powered graphics card connected to shitty PSU the dirty noise will spread into your motherboard and it will leak into your audio regardless of whether the onboard audio uses yellow nichicon caps, also leak that power over your hdd/ssd and you’re now part of the retarded gaymer who will RMA every piece of broken component.

Anonymous

The best implementation of realtek exist on a the few Altec Lansing / Dolby laptops and mostly those are old VAIO/Apple devices that even have DSD support and better audio line-in support (even realtek can record in DSD).
          Even the fact is realtek/idt and another manufacturer I can’t remember are the only ones who implement consumer DSD tech and have exclusive dolby/beats support.
          Creative isn’t even great. It’s just third-party line-in for people who can’t afford shit and has shitty surround tech / a dolby clone that performs worse pic related is the recent model, somewhat rolled off bass and trash impedance out response.

Anonymous

>or wits to put solid state caps in there
          It’s been successfully memed that solid caps are bad for audio so they put fancy looking electrolytics instead
          I have a cheap ECS board where the audio section caps are the same as all the others on the board and the audio is perfectly fine.

Why people think all the hobby grade bullshit sold by asus, msi, gigabyte and others is in any way good boggles my mind more and more every day

Anonymous

pic related

Anonymous

>electrolytics
            Sounds like hisssssss and cheapshit that blows magic smoke in a few years of having ground loop or grounded component somewhere in the board (like a bad usb cable).
            All those hobby grade shit you mentioned use the cheapest of the cheapest electrolytic caps and have the worst implementation. Most of them hiss like crazy and they can’t figure it out, it’s the power supply and the lack of capacitors on certain parts, also the weakest cheapest electrolytic caps they use so you will send them to repair or have them RMA’d for recycling in pristine condition (lol).

Most of the workstations that use realtek, production studio, audio-grade laptops have nicer implementation and solid-state cap that these boards still work fine to this day.
            There were a few laptops that even had optical audio built in and comes with a powerful dac+adc and dual audio output both of which don’t even hiss and have zero ohms. Overall implementation is what matters, and if you’re lazy for that just check any laptop that has dolby/altec lansing/beats support, or even motherboards but those mostly exist in the workstation or apple realm. Apple has one of the best audio implementations too on the software side with coreaudio. Everything else without realtek/idt/dolby have poor software audio implementation.

Anonymous

>solid caps are bad for audio so they put fancy looking electrolytics
            Now that’s what I call product shilling.
            Solid caps are good. Those fancy "fake solid caps" like here https://tim.id.au/blog/2008/10/15/more-blown-caps/comment-page-1/
            See how there’s a line/engraving? Fake solid-state.
            Plastic-enclosed electrolytic caps are also trash (with the exception of nichicon caps)

Also the implementation could be better on here

pic related

from the looks of it it’s probably solid-state everywhere and has one over the PCIe lanes

Anonymous

>Solid caps are good
              Never said they wasn’t but every fucking motherboard manufacturer thinks they are the devil for audio.
              Wish I knew the reasoning for this, If I had to guess some boomers probably complained 15 years ago that it would harm the audio when mobos started to move away from electrolytics and it became a marketing point

Anonymous

Nope it’s just those manufacturers you mentioned wanted blowing caps and wanted the cheapest have it be economical and profitable as much as possible.

I have a workstation with all solid caps, has clean audio, no hiss.
                Maybe some 120Hz hum but it disappears if I use earth or ground (I’m using 2-pin nema AC). It’s also has very low output ohms close to zero ohms and beats shit like soundblaster meme whose lowest is like 1ohm (lol).

Anonymous

get an audio jack stocholm syndrome retards

Anonymous

I wouldn’t buy an iPhone. I use a Xiaomi phone and it has a wonderful dac. I’m actually considering buying this thing to use on my Asus laptop though since the onboard audio is dogshit.

Anonymous

>idiverse folk still shit in the street
      >despite millions of toilets being installed

How?

Anonymous

>usb c garbage
      where micro usb

Anonymous

DAC have been perfect for the past few decades.

Audio quality is all in the amplification and speaker design.

Anonymous

This device shouldn’t exist so who cares.

Anonymous

how good is the lightning to audio jack adapter by Apple?

Anonymous

it’s the same dac chip in both

Anonymous

>Outperforms DACs that cost thousands of dollars
      [x] Doubt

Anonymous

>Outperforms the vast majority of "audiophile" DACs and sound cards
      Shut the fuck up you goddamn mental gimp, it’s a fucking adapter. You’re glorifying a fucking adapter, phones went through this fucking phase 20 years ago, you goddamn obtuse fuck. I hope you get AIDS and die like Steve Jobs.

Anonymous

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Refrain from posting immediately

Anonymous

is it true that this dongle is gimped in Europe due to laws against going above a certain volume?

Anonymous

Yes, there’s a Euro version of this that has lower volume.

Anonymous

>Yes, there’s a Euro version of this that has lower volume.
          so in other words, if you live in Europe buying this dongle is a waste of time?

Anonymous

Look at the measurements for the Euro version, it’s not terrible, but it’s clearly worse and it could be too weak for your headphones.
            You can still buy the US version, but you’ll probably have to pay more for shipping.

Anonymous

anybody know what the SINAD is for the K5 Pro through the headphone jack? the audioscience review just scored it based on RCA cables which he stated performed worse than through the headphone jack

Anonymous

Amir said it’s in the 90s I think
        Spec is 95db?

Anonymous

So is this thing better than my Realtek ALC1220 VB?
      I keep going back and forth with different tracks and sound tests, but overall it just sounds like the Apple dongle has more bass and a deeper sound.
      Can’t really tell which one is worse, maybe i’m just too used to the higher pitched Realtek one

Anonymous

>outperforms
      It managed to make my old CIEMs sound even warmer to the point where some vocals get drowned out.

I tested the same pair with a desktop DAC/Amp and it was fine

Anonymous

I own this. It’s quieter than my GS9’s built in aux port. The fuck.

Anonymous

Android is gay like that, Windows doesn’t have this problem. But you can still use the HiBy Music app with the direct USB device access to get full volume.

Or maybe you have the Euro version. Is it the A2049 or the A2155? It’s written on it.

Anonymous

You realize the best FOSS player supports direct play for USB DACs already?

Anonymous

>the best FOSS player
            And which player would that be?

Anonymous

Looks to be a2049

Anonymous

How fucking loud do you people listen to your music?

Anonymous

Not very loud but my headphones need a bit of power to work
        Don’t think the Apple donger would cut it

Anonymous

>Who would win?
      >Little cheap dongle from Applel
      >10 year old sound card that goes for 15 eur online these days

Unironically the dongler can’t even feed my 300 ohm IEMs, while the card easily takes care of my 600 ohm phones.

Anonymous

>6pin power
        AHAHAHAHA

Anonymous

You realize PCIe x1 is only rated for 10W?

Anonymous

imagine getting cheated out of $9+markup to get an inferior version of a function that should be already integrated in your phone.

Anonymous

"Audiophile DACs" are better performance wise. The issue is audiophiles also want higher wattage.

Anonymous

>plug in headphones into mobo
      HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Anonymous

What is your momboard?

Anonymous

You don’t understand the mindset of audiophiles. They’re boomers with lots of disposable income and literally no other hobby than their snake oil collection. Trying to take that away is depriving them of one of their few joys in life. Just roll with it and try to get a piece of the cake.

Anonymous

Some of those "boomers" post on LULZ regularly in threads like this

[…]

They’re buying "DACs" and headphone amps that cost hundreds of dollars. It’s cringe af.

Anonymous

I imagine them buying all that expensive stuff just to listen to some trashy anime soundtrack

Anonymous

trashy anime soundtracks sound better on semi trashy gear anyway

galaxy buds > JVC HA-SZ2000

Anonymous

or just stop being a melanoid and use a phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack

Anonymous

well have i got some news for you guys..

Anonymous

Which one out of 571 BT audio standards provides the same fidelity as wired? That’s right, none of them.
        And no, aptx lossless is not it:
        >Designed to scale-up to CD lossless audio based on Bluetooth link quality
        >scale-up to
        >up to

Anonymous

BT doesn’t even have standards anymore, it’s dropped from IEEE 802.15 standard

Anonymous

>same fidelity as wired?
          wired to what? a hifi dac? sure

compared to directly wired to the shitpile output headphone jack of a smartphone?
          in practice bluetooth outperforms that in quality

also if were talking streaming music on the go, there is literally no reason to use a wired heaphone, gramps

Anonymous

>in practice bluetooth outperforms that in quality
            Just by this statement I know you don’t know what you’re talking about. Not even how BT itself works.
            Sure it’s OK for audiobooks and calls, but not for music.

Anonymous

the dac of a good bt headphone is better than the built in smartphone dac.
              and its not only the dac its the power output of the headphone jack compared to the dsp in the bt heaphones that loses as well

actually you dont know what youre talking about because you havent tried it out

Anonymous

ldac maybe is enough for 48khz/24bit.
          there are headphones which have built-in SD-card slots though and you might probably want that.

Anonymous

Be real with me: is my ODAC good or is it time to upgrade to the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter?

Anonymous

Audio business is full of snake oil. The way they sell it is by using a real useful thing like a DAC and pretend it’s something high end. The DAC on your motherboard is just as good as the expensive snack oil shit. Only reason you would need anything else is if your headphones or speakers require more power. Which you can do with a receiver. Audiofags will continue to act like they know what they are talking about even thought they don’t.

t. Audio engineer

Anonymous

That depends bruh like if we’re talking about workstation like a modern dell xeon/i7 or even a toshiba laptop (glory be to nipon) it will have cleaner audio but compare that to some gigabyte or msi garbage you will hear a buzz, yup a BUZZ including that hiss and hum, piss and cum.

But you’re right that consumer grade hardware can be audio nirvana if it’s not some board with actually bad schematics and actual ground voltage loops in the blueprint.

Anonymous

Most people don’t even know what decent onboard is.

Anonymous

Where do I find out if my onboard PC audio is good?
      Asus 470-F Gaming.

Anonymous

listen to it

Anonymous

I only have Moon Drop Blessing 2’s…. My current gaymer headphones are wireless because I like to get up walk away and stuff.

Anonymous

b/c apple is a technology company, not some toddler dos legacy maintainer

Anonymous

know how

Anonymous

Heh, dongle

Anonymous

[…]

>telling the whole world you’re a LULZ janny

Anonymous

[…]

he be kinda cute id fug his nice tight asspussy.

Anonymous

[…]

this poster is a wintoddler microjeet shill, who is buttblasted that mods don’t put up with his tard tantrums…

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.