American Evangelicalism has a real problem with anti-intellectualism and apocalyptism

Home Forums General & off-topic American Evangelicalism has a real problem with anti-intellectualism and apocalyptism

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

American Evangelicalism has a real problem with anti-intellectualism and apocalyptism. I mean, come on, the creation museum is just embarrassing, and all this uncritical support for Israel just because it’s believed that its very existence will bring about the second coming of Christ is just cult like and has real world consequences. Don’t get me wrong, many people find a lot of happiness and fulfilment and community in the Evangelical world, and that’s fine, but these cult like and irrational beliefs are all too prevalent in the Evangelical community, and pastors need to start speaking out against them. And even as a fellow Trump supporter myself, I cringe every time I see Evangelicals worshipping Trump like he’s the new Cyrus the Great, it’s just culty. There’s too much mixing of politics and religion and it’s principally because of Evangelical apocalyptism rooted in dispensationalism. Mainline Protestant Churches do this too but the other way, they mix leftist/marxist politics with religion which isn’t good. There’s a reason why the Catholic and Orthodox Churches forbid the endorsement of specific political candidates by the clergy on behalf of the Church, even if those candidates align with the values of the Church.

Anonymous

Americans in general have an anti-intellectual problem.

Anonymous

This. Americans have always been anti-intellectual, even before the revolution. When Franklin went to France, he wore a coonskin cap and played up the rugged, American stereotype to woo the French court.

Anonymous

Thomas Jefferson thought Europeans were 200 years behind America in science, political, and religious thought so you tell me.

Anonymous

Jefferson (as much as I like him) was also full of himself

Anonymous

Jefferson was unironically a jingoist American nationalist who thought Anglo-Saxon Yeomen in the New World were inherently destined for greatness

Anonymous

200 years later the results speak for themselves

Stay mad

Anonymous

I won’t deny that the USA undoubtedly qualifies as a great nation, but 200 years later we are also seeing places like Germany overtake the United States in standards of living (life expectancy, crime rates, political stability, etc.). The USA has gotten too high on its own farts and has rested on its laurels since 1991. It’s high time we act more humble and start changing things lest we fall behind and stagnate into irrelevancy, like so many others have before.
                Also pic related: the Anlgo-Saxon Yeomen are extinct in the USA today. We’re a nation of Puerto Rican-Italian-Mexican-Polish-German halfbreeds

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

America doesn’t have greatness. You look at the jocks in ugly uniforms walking around and being blown up by IEDs, you don’t see greatness, only power. America is a country with no gravitas, no matter how many times over it could blow up the world.

Anonymous

>all of this cope

Anonymous

Nah, American elites were some of the smartest people on earth, and they’re the ones who led the revolution and wrote the constitution.

The issue is that the plebs got it into their heads that they’re just as good as running a country as the people who actually built the country. This has resulted in unmitigated disaster every time it has been tried.

Anonymous

Then again giving a pretentious college boy like Woodrow Wilson the keys to the store resulted in an unmitigated disaster, so…

Anonymous

Yeah, it can’t just be one guy.

America prospers when it has a stable coalition between the intellectual class and the masses, where the people running the government are the best and brightest, and where the populace is educated and engaged in politics enough to understand and contribute to public policy.

Sometimes it works like that, sometimes it doesn’t.

Anonymous

In the Gilded Age it was well-known that the government was run by weak, corrupt and useless people. Intellectuals of the time wrote about this. They said why are there no Thomas Jeffersons or Daniel Websters anymore? Where did they all go?

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

I would note vote for Bush Senior and the guy was undoubtedly morally vile, but his credentials are really something we have lacking in the statesmen of today.
                    >World War veteran (who saw actual combat)
                    >successful in private enterprise
                    >Ambassador to the UN
                    >Ambassador to China
                    >Vice President
                    >Glowie-in-Chief
                    >President
                    If the USA had a cursus honorum, he aced it.

Anonymous

*would not

Anonymous

As it were, Trump is the only modern president with some idealism and vision of where he wanted to lead the country. Those other guys had nothing. They were like that one corrupt Renaissance Pope who said "God has given us the papacy. Let us enjoy it."

Anonymous

The only thing Trump believes in is "Trump is awesome"

Anonymous

>Clinton/Bush/Obama
                    Examples of letting plebs in charge.
                    >Woodrow Wilson
                    Examples of letting a know-it-all smug intellectual in charge.

In either case it doesn’t work.

Anonymous

Master Woodrow’s only problem was that his international vision didn’t get fully realized.

Anonymous

you need a balance between the two. nobody likes the Lisa Simpsons of the world (unbearably stuffy, know it all moralizers) yet nobody likes trailer trash (ie. the let’s have a Budweiser and go to Hooters type) either.

Anonymous

I’d say well educated men with experience outside of academia is the sweet spot. Woodrow Wilson spent his time getting a PhD in the humanities while other Presidents were:
                        >leading armies
                        >fighting as soldiers themselves
                        >running their farms
                        >exploring the world
                        >working as diplomats, translators, lawyers, etc.
                        >learning how to navigate Congress as newcomers

Anonymous

and none of those guys got into Harvard on an affirmative action scholarship and worked as a community organizer in Shitcago

Anonymous

Tbf getting into Harvard back in the 1700 and 1800s was also mostly a matter of "are you literate and from a well established family?" I’d say the actual competitive golden age aligned with the Cold War, when the GI Bill allowed every man to try for it and the department of defense was actively providing student loans to finance future officers and engineers that the military needed.

Anonymous

Letting eggheads with no real world experience in charge of something results in Robert McNamara thinking he could win a war by plotting points on a graph.

Anonymous

I’m pretty sure any random guy off the street could have ran the Vietnam war better than McNamara so I wouldn’t chalk that up to lack of experience, other than the fact that if he had been given responsibilities at a lower level nobody would have put up with his scrotebraination and he’d have been kicked to the curb.

Anonymous

American elites were a small cadre of people. The majority of Americans dating back to the start of colonization were frontiersmen, indentured servants, poor people, etc.

Anonymous

Yes, but the people who led the patriot movement, wrote the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, and actually built America as a modern country were all well educated elites. America would not exist without Harvard, Yale, and Princeton to give us the founding fathers.

Anonymous

Those people built the government yes, but they did not build the society. Top level history causes people to greatly misunderstand a society, a culture, a civilization. Most Americans were (and still are) anti-intellectual frontiersmen.

Anonymous

Then why is America #1 in technology and scientific development?

Anonymous

Getting patents as war booty helps a lot.

Anonymous

Most of those achievements come from foreigners or their children.

Anonymous

For a nation who is self aware about its roots as a settler colony, that’s not really a relevant factor. Nativists have completely lost the political war in the USA, everyone is pro-immigration to some extent (be it Irish descendants or Italians or whatnot)

Anonymous

who was Werner von Braun?

Anonymous

That had nothing to do with intellectualism, the French just stereotyped the Americans as frontiersmen living in Indian teepee huts and fighting bears on a Sunday.
          I’d also add that New England has, and always has had, a very pro-education culture. The Puritans founded Harvard and the Boston Latin School within a few years of settling the wilderness, every child was taught how to read, and even today Massachusetts is a hub of students and academia in America

Anonymous

That’s not surprising, most of our intellectuals are morons

Anonymous
      Anonymous

The evangelical Christian movement was a thing in the 80s because the deep state funded it as a weapon in the Cold War. Afterwards they didn’t need them anymore and stopped funding them, and their intellectual arguments weren’t strong enough to stand on their own.

Anonymous

Bitch and moan all you want
      Revivalist Evangelicalism and its scrotebrained cousin Pentecostalism are hard coded to expand like viruses
      They took over North America
      They’re taking over south america, Africa and even China
      They’re the only people making serious headway into the Islamic world
      They’re only scoring mildly in western Europe because germs are conscious of how dangerous these fuckers are and use every legal mean to stop them from setting foot
      >Fellow trump supporter
      have a nice day scrote

Anonymous

>have a nice day scrote
        I’m sorry I triggered you.

Anonymous

>Germs are conscious of how dangerous
        >Elects the same dipshit for decades who proceeds to lash and beat the very important economic union to the point it is no weaker than it was 10 years ago
        Germans are and always have been scrotebrains.

Anonymous

>There’s a reason why the Catholic and Orthodox Churches forbid the endorsement of specific political candidates by the clergy on behalf of the Church

Is it because they were sucking fascist cock?

Anonymous

> hmmmm leaves I cannot digest and have a hard time chewing with my pointy teeth

Anonymous

[…]

Under the Bourbon monarchy? No, it was a reactionary shithole even compared to England, much less republics like the US, Switzerland or Netherlands.

Now, it’s kind of tied because we’re a corporate oligarchy and they’re a statist, bureaucratic oligarchy.

Anonymous

[…]

He also visited Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands while ambassador. I would agree at least some of those places certainly Italy would give one the impression of Europe being 200 years behind America.

Anonymous

The Netherlands was actually widely admired by John Adams. When he visited, he noted that it was clean, orderly, and poverty seemingly non-existent. Granted, Adams was biased since he had a massive heritage hardon for the Puritans who were refugeed in the Netherlands, and he had hated British and French society while serving as ambassador in those countries.
          I’m getting this from the David McCullough biography on Adams

Anonymous

Huh? which mainline protestant church professes leftist/marxist politics?

Anonymous

Don’t you know anon? Leftism is when you don’t hate gay people.

Anonymous

Honestly I don’t get how it works, won’t most kids either leave Christianity permanently or find some other church that isn’t so idiotic?

Anonymous

stfu scrote evolution is a theory that has never been proven i believe in gods word alone

Anonymous

American Evangelicalism is basically a political organization at this point. Sometimes it even seems like that don’t have any theology, or forgot the heritage.

Anonymous

They have a theology, the promised messiah will return and scour all the evil from the world and prepare humanity for the second coming, only two more weeks.

Anonymous

Anti-intellectualism is good. It will let us return to a simpler way of life after science is destroyed.

Anonymous

I don’t know, I’ve never been to the creation museum. However I do know that cats do munch on herbs, when people own cats and herb pots, cats will go up and munch on them. My cat doesn’t, because she doesn’t live outside, so she will munch on the grass instead. Which makes me say, no, fool! The grass is essential oil-less, and is even harder to munch on! She will occasionally be brought outside and eat a few blades, but she won’t even touch the Catnip, Mint, or Peppermint sadly. So sometimes I crumple catnip, mint, and peppermint together and slide it down her throat. She doesn’t like having a finger slide it down but she gets accustomed to it sometimes and isn’t bothered one bit. No, it’s not animal abuse. It cleans their gingivitis, and is very good for their digestion. All animals, be them giant reptiles or others, would have had green herbs that they ate. Creation will always have Heaven coming with power to protect it from God. I don’t care who you are, Jesus Christ is coming again. However it is by faith that we are saved. You can’t be saved by the Creation Museum. It is my faith in Jesus’ blood that the Creation Museum is saved also. That goes for anything else going on in the world too. You can attack our faith and say that that is also how it works, by causing us to fear because faith is not by being established by knowing, but it will be re-established in knowing we are saved instantly forever after because faith, love, and hope casts out all fear, besides fear of God.

Anonymous

Cats will eat small amounts of herbs as nutritional supplements in the same way that a a deer or a cow might chew on the bones of an old carcass for calcium. It’s not their main diet and they could not survive solely off of eating that. The carnivorous dinosaurs were certainly no different – if they were regularly eating plants they would’ve had mouths and teeth designed for eating leaves, not flesh.

Anonymous

> if they were regularly eating plants they would’ve had mouths and teeth designed for eating leaves, not flesh.
          Nope, baseless claims without merit or proof, carnivorous are it sound true.

The animals were designed with weapons and teeth to keep other animals in line. The Bible is the complete inerrant word of God, yet all you have is no actual testing or basis. You don’t even have experience!

>herbal supplementation is not enough for beasts
          >grass like straw is not enough for beasts to eat,
          >they need to eat calcium from literal bones from dead carcasses

So where is their Bone Esting teeth they evolved from eating bones off carcasses? Can play that game too.

God designed the animals with weapons to be creative, and to keep other animals in line without the garden. But in the garden they did eat only straw and could do so without evolving into different creatures.

Genesis 1:30-31 kjv
          > 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

>31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God let’s the earth design every living creature after his kind first. Then God designs them Himself:

>24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

>25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Ever seen what Green actually looks like? I have seen what mountains look like after a good rain, it brings forth every living green plant of the earth, flowers of every color, very diverse plants, lots of grass, a bull literally gets a mouth full of green with every step and swish of his head he makes.

Anonymous

Carnivorous reference to make it sound more true+
            Because actual flesh makes it sound more true than God’s vegan paradise. But that is what God originally designed, a non-violent world. There could still be violence , but it was “very good” in its reality. Differentiated from very evil after the fall.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.